This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing ECU to get OBDII

I have a 95 mazda mx3 and i wonder if i can change my ECU for a 96 mx3 since it is the exact same engine and everything. Thank for every information you could provide.
    English is not my first language so if I say something weird just say it to me and i try to be clearer :) :)

as someone thats attempted this i can tell you its not at ALL worth it. You would need to change most all the sensors in the car. You should be able to find some information on www.mx-3.com with my screen name on converting obd1 to II. Do you have the i4 or v6? My information woulda been for the v6.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

thanks Sonicxtacy02 for your quick answer, my engine is DOHC 1.6L 16 valves, i will go check the mx-3.com website.
      English is not my first language so if I say something weird just say it to me and i try to be clearer :) :)

Comment

A general comment - if the engine were the same, the ECU would be the same.

I'm talking about sensors etc. They will probably NOT be the same, hence different ECU version.

And a General Rule - if swapping ECU/EMS etc, get all the sensors that come with it (unless you know yours match) and exchange for yours.

Comment

The minimum you would need to add is a Oxygen sensor (and wiring) behind the catalyc convertor.

Comment

@ p2psmurf

It is fun you mention that because i remove the cat converter because i has a hole in it and I just never replace it.

Comment

It would probably be cheaper and easier to simply add the sensors for parameters you want to monitor, or piggy back/sniff out the signals from the existing ones. Some minor electronics plus a fusion brain or similar would probably give you what you want.
              2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
              Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Working...
              X