/hobd - extended OBD2 based trip computer for WinCE/PocketPC/WinMobile/Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cail View Post
    Right, but hobd needs no virtual port - it can do raw BT.
    Oh ok that's cool...

Ah, I've misunderstood your question.
    The difference between short and instant fuel consumption sensors is calculation interval. Instant is couple of seconds and short is couple of minutes.
    Car's tripcomputers normally has only one value, but having two (or, basically three including the total trip MPG) is very useful (at least for me).
    Yeah actually this is like a smoother presentation of instant mpg I would say.. As it does not have the peaks of instant fc it could be used for assesing the driver's ability to drive in economy mode..

Comment

Does this mean that it only supports a particular Bluetooth chipset?
      OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
      Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaliy View Post
        Does this mean that it only supports a particular Bluetooth chipset?
        hobd uses .net bluetooth library which knows about MS and widcomm stacks. So its not a chipset, but installed stack matters.
        Anyway, as Nitroking correctly noticed, you may always map BT service onto virtual COM port and use that COM port in HOBD for connectivity.

News for justchat_1. I've added a borderless mode into 0.53 build it its now possible to seamlessly integrate HOBD into any frontend app (I've tried OpenMobile and it interacts fine).
        Also, as said above, I've made a split and separated non-ui part "hobdcore" into a separate assembly. So it now may be used by thirdparty apps to work with ELM327 in .net code.
        The updates could be found on a github.

Comment

News for justchat_1. I've added a borderless mode into 0.53 build it its now possible to seamlessly integrate HOBD into any frontend app (I've tried OpenMobile and it interacts fine).
          Thats pretty cool...
          Also, as said above, I've made a split and separated non-ui part "hobdcore" into a separate assembly. So it now may be used by thirdparty apps to work with ELM327 in .net code.
          The updates could be found on a github.
          but thats great news!!!! One question...how well does your app handle polling? For example, if I wanted to have five controls displaying data at the same time and they all poll data as fast as they can, will your plugin balance the requests and ensure requests only happen as fast as the OBDII device can support?
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
            Thats pretty cool...
            but thats great news!!!! One question...how well does your app handle polling? For example, if I wanted to have five controls displaying data at the same time and they all poll data as fast as they can, will your plugin balance the requests and ensure requests only happen as fast as the OBDII device can support?
            HOBD uses a sensor registry concept, where all sensors are managed by a central engine. It normally runs as a separate thread, but can also be manually scheduled. So all sensors reading is scheduled equally by this engine.

I've explicitly tried to reach maximum reading speed (just because primary HOBD's target is slow wince hardware). Beside this hobd supports sensor reading period. This means if you have three fast sensors and one slow (f.e. coolant temperature), it'll read three in a loop and only periodically (say each 20 seconds) will readout fourth (temp).

Comment

Anyway, as Nitroking correctly noticed, you may always map BT service onto virtual COM port and use that COM port in HOBD for connectivity.
              However this didn't work in my case.. I can do some more testing!

justchat_1 if you integrate hobd core in another app, then it's your job to do correct polling.. hobd and every software that shows data correctly must have correct polling otherwise the reader will return only garbage, then in your app you have to do polling between the several cores(procedures or what) which send requests to the ECU..

Comment

Originally posted by Nitroking View Post
                However this didn't work in my case.. I can do some more testing!
                Ah this is what you've meant. Could you make sure that you can access such a virtual com port with raw terminal program (send any elm command), but still HOBD rejects to use it?

justchat_1 if you integrate hobd core in another app, then it's your job to do correct polling.. hobd and every software that shows data correctly must have correct polling otherwise the reader will return only garbage, then in your app you have to do polling between the several cores(procedures or what) which send requests to the ECU..
                Generally true, but HOBD does much more here. Speaking in c#, with hobd you only have to add your sensor listener with required update period - and thats all:

Code:
                engine.Activate();
                registry.AddListener("Speed", this.MySensorHandler, 5000); // 5000 means it'll read Speed PID every 5 seconds.

void MySensorHandler(Sensor s)
                { // do your stuff, update ui, etc..
                }
                But, thinking about integration I indeed see no much reason for this - when talking about frontend apps. Think it's normal that frontend is only a frontend which allows to use external apps for extended functionality:

Comment

cail, I ran it on my 6.1 mobile.. An app I've made works fine with the serial port and it's using a virtual port, still hobd does not.. I'll do some more tries..

Comment

Originally posted by Nitroking View Post
                    cail, I ran it on my 6.1 mobile.. An app I've made works fine with the serial port and it's using a virtual port, still hobd does not.. I'll do some more tries..
                    Can you enable logging (http://hobdrive.com/faq/#how_to_enable_debug_logging) and send me the log.txt? I know hobd definitely works fine with "real" com ports on winmobile, so thats abit strange...

Comment

A very nice project cail!
                      I was wondering if there is a way to make the program display better on older pdas with 4:3 screen aspect.
                      It probably needs some tampering of the default-landscape.layout file but I am not quite sure which values to change..
                      A first try to have my pda connected with a bluetooth obd device via a virtual commport failed, but I'll give it a try through direct port as soon as I find out how I can get the devices spp number.

Comment

Originally posted by japetus View Post
                        A very nice project cail!
                        I was wondering if there is a way to make the program display better on older pdas with 4:3 screen aspect.
                        It probably needs some tampering of the default-landscape.layout file but I am not quite sure which values to change..
                        Thanks!

Think the easiest way to improve this is to switch your PDA into landscape mode. I've thought about specific layout for small-screen devices (probably splitting information into several screens and increase fonts) - but right now I don't have access to such PDA to evaluate and find the best experience.

You can relayout screens by yourself in that file, or just give me some feedback and I can try to do this myself.

A first try to have my pda connected with a bluetooth obd device via a virtual commport failed, but I'll give it a try through direct port as soon as I find out how I can get the devices spp number.
                        Technically you should be able to scan for bluetooth devices in "settings,ports" and then just select your obd adapter.

Comment

Thanks cail, I managed to solve most of the problems by playing with the font sizes...
                          It also now works fine on the direct bluetooth port..

I've been using for some time another gauge program, which has a similar but a bit more 'sophisticated' screen layout, called obdscope (.com), only available for symbian mobile phones, and was eagerly looking for a pda alternative. As the main interface which I got used to, was black and green, where can I find the hex color codes in order to customize the hobd themes to my preferred colors?

Comment

Originally posted by japetus View Post
                            As the main interface which I got used to, was black and green, where can I find the hex color codes in order to customize the hobd themes to my preferred colors?
                            hobd theme files are located at hobd/themes/*.theme
                            Default is "default.theme". Just clone it and change color constants at the very beginning of the file. hobd will catchup your new theme file and you'll be able to choose it in "settings->themes".

Comment

First time post, mainly to say i am likeing this app very much. its the first one for win mobile that I have gotten to work and looks like it is meant to be used. Also, love the HUD option. If I had any issues or requests, I would ask for a bit cleaner detection of screen taps, and the ability to use cursors or arrow keys to navigate (with a highlight of some sort).

At least, those are the major issues I have on an htc xv6800.

Are there any specific settings I will need to play with to get the MPG portion working for a Jeep with a 4.0? Right now it is not reading fuel pressure at all, and I know that the info exists, as the dash is all electronic and controlled by the PCM.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post
                                First time post, mainly to say i am likeing this app very much. its the first one for win mobile that I have gotten to work and looks like it is meant to be used. Also, love the HUD option. If I had any issues or requests, I would ask for a bit cleaner detection of screen taps, and the ability to use cursors or arrow keys to navigate (with a highlight of some sort).

At least, those are the major issues I have on an htc xv6800.
                                Thanks, for sure I'll consider at least basic keypad controlling. have you tried the latest (0.61) build? Some time ago I've incorporated tap and touch related fixes, may be that'll help.

Originally posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post
                                Are there any specific settings I will need to play with to get the MPG portion working for a Jeep with a 4.0? Right now it is not reading fuel pressure at all, and I know that the info exists, as the dash is all electronic and controlled by the PCM.
                                Do you mean it shows no fuel consumption? You should try changing your vehicle type in "Settings" -> "Vehicle" to "OBD2 MAP based". In case it'll start to showup fuel, you have to tuneup your engine (default.vehicles, <liters> parameter) and probably VE constant.
                                For MAP based vehicles its abit tricky to calculate the MPG.

Comment

Working...
                                X