No announcement yet.

What to use for a CRDi diesel to measure instant MPG?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use for a CRDi diesel to measure instant MPG?

I have Suzuki CRDi diesel (running rebadged Fial multijet 1.3L). Is there any way to measure the instant FE?

Our DashCommand software will calculate instant and average fuel economy for a diesel, if the apporpriate PIDs are supported by your vehicle (and your vehicle is OBD-II complaint). Go check it out.

You may try hobdrive trip computer.

Recent versions includes universal method to calculate MPG (both instant and trip-average) on diesels. It may require some calibration, but for many modern diesels it works great. It doesn't require a specific 'fuel consumption' PID to be available on your vehicle. Just be OBD2 compatible.

I've used Dashcommand (Windows), Hobdrive (/hobd) and at least half a dozen other OBD SW and the most accurate MPG results for CRDI diesels were from /HOBD and Torque (android; paid version). BTW I drive a Hyundai Tucson CRDI. Have tried on a few other CRDI engines as well with good results.

PS: Don't have personal experience with Fiat MultiJet engines, but I've heard that Fiat Multijets are a tough nut (some custom protocol) and I'm yet to see a consumer grade OBD software which talks to MultiJet ECU's reliably. If nothing works, please have a look at
        Last edited by DigitalVampire; 06-22-2011, 02:14 AM.

Scangauge E didn't work

I tried a SG E and it didn't work. I tried forcing all the protocols but it didn't got connected . As the service manual of the car it uses ISO 9141 protocol and the ECU is made of Magneti Marelli.

DigitalVampire, that other software shouldn't be able to get information any more accurate than DashCommand does. Would you be willing to work with us to improve it?

there are different ways. mobilscan does provide mpg very soon in our green version.