J2178 and J1850

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J2178 and J1850

Does anyone have a copy of SAE J2178 and J1850? I need it to understand VPW communciation to get RPM, MPH, Fuel Level, etc from a Dodge Intrepid.

Thanks!

Would it not be a whole lot easier to use an existing interface (ELM) and an existing PC-program?

Comment

http://www.obdsol.com/stn1110/

ELM327 compatible, firmware upgradeable, more features, faster performance. Single quantities, $0.
      OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
      Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaliy View Post
        Single quantities, $0.
        Can't beat that price !

Comment

That would be a lot easier, and I will probably end up using the elm or something similar. But as a side project, I was also hoping to communicate with an old intrepid instrument cluster with a microcontroller using j1850 standard to re-purpose the cluster to display something. It would be just the cluster and the microcontroller, so I'd need to know how to speak the right language to the instrument cluster.

Comment

There are some open source projects out there that you can borrow J1850 code from. I wouldn't do it for a commercial project (J1850 is tricky to get working on all cars), but you can fudge the timings to work for your particular vehicle.
            OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
            Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Working...
            X