ELM 327 good or bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELM 327 good or bad?

Been looking into these and Im wondering if these are decent? Theres a few on ebay for $15 shipped for V1.4? Not sure if that makes a difference.

Theres also elm 327 1.5a for $25+shipping on amazon if thats better?

Looking to accomplish checking engine codes, and seeing real-time engine rpm, speed, etc. (Would like it to update fast enough that it is usable)

Another question, is if I have a broken speedometer (Actually the speedo cable is broken) would It still be able to display the speed?

And lastly, is there any decent freeware software that can be used with this device, or a way to use it in RR?

Forgot to mention, The CarPC is going into my 97 S10 with 4.3l vortec if that makes a difference.

Comment

When you buy an OBDII reader (elm 327) off ebay, you might get a good product, and then again you might not get a good product. You pretty much get what you pay for.

I'm not certain about RR, but CF does have a free OBDII plugin, so there's got to be one for RR, too. And yes, it will tell you the speed even if the cable is broken. But I'd use a good GPS device and check to see how accurate the OBDII speed sensor is.
      1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Originally posted by kegobeer View Post
        When you buy an OBDII reader (elm 327) off ebay, you might get a good product, and then again you might not get a good product. You pretty much get what you pay for.

I'm not certain about RR, but CF does have a free OBDII plugin, so there's got to be one for RR, too. And yes, it will tell you the speed even if the cable is broken. But I'd use a good GPS device and check to see how accurate the OBDII speed sensor is.
        Thanks!
        Is the other Elm327 1.5a better then the ebay units?

Or is there a recommended ebay user that sells a good elm reader?

Comment

I really don't know. I bought mine from scantool.net. They had a special where I got ScanXL for free.
          1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Which one did you get? Do you have a link?

And how do you like it?

Comment

I got the OBDLink. It's $99.95 right now until midnight tonight, and you get the free ScanXL software.

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/p...d/obdlink.html

It's a great piece of hardware and the software is fantastic. It works perfectly with CF, and you can also buy Dashcommander which plugs into CF nicely.

Comment

I got this one as well with the bonus software. It really is a quality piece of hardware/software. SNO

Comment

ELM327 V1.5a does not exist and is probably a V1.2 inside.
                  Newest version for the ELM327 is V1.4b. See: http://www.elmelectronics.com/obdic.html

Comment

Yeah definitely don't get one advertised as ELM 1.5.
                    Also wrt to "real-time" information updates, that depends more on your car than the cable.
                    Check out my Frontend project!
                    http://prismaticproject.weebly.com/blog.html

Comment

I'll definitely stay away from the supposed "elm 1.5b" then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-4-ELM327-...item19c22a6547

This is the one im looking at.

Comment

I have one of the "ELM 1.5a" and it functions just as it should. However, it is hit or miss as I have seen bad feedback and DOA units reported several places.

Comment

no problem

Bought several ELM327 OBDII scanners.
                          All work nice on my MB E270CDI (not really OBDII)
                          The bluetooth version works great on my android samsung gallaxy S plus (Torque Pro)

We walked from car to car on the parking place at work, plugged in the bluetooth version , all worked fine on a HTC desire

regards Hans

Comment

Working...
                          X