Cheapest OBD-II interface/adapter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest OBD-II interface/adapter?

What's the cheapest way to interface into your car's ECU/OBD-II?

Is it possible to make your own adapter?
    -TJ
    Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
    CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
    Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

$82 here:
    http://multiplex-engineering.com/products.htm

Some good info here:
    http://www.guentchev.com/OBD-II/
    -TJ

Comment

Someone else posted this on another thread: http://www.scantool.net. It looks like you can buy a cable for only $25 and download the software for free. I am not sure if you need additional parts as I have not read in detail. Has anyone actually tried one of these?

Comment

Actually..I suspect you need the scan tool as well..which is a little bit more than tejesh83's post

Comment

why are they all serial? is there any USB scanners? my bookpc dosent have a serial port and i would like to avoid useing an adaptor.
          Pontiac Grand Am
          building CarPC useing BookPC and Lilliput 7 inch TS.

Comment

From my reading, it looks like you need some sort of chip to decode the signal from the ecu.

The scantool kit seems to be the best deal. It comes with the cables for only a few bucks more over the multiplex. But, you do have to pay extra if you want a case for it.

The multiplex one comes in a case, but you need to get at least a serial modem cable. And, if you want to stealth it, you may need the odb cable to relocate the bulky adapter.

I've read that the chip doesn't cost much. I've also found some schematics on various sites. But I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle such a project. I would hate to fry the ECU. Maybe a prefab is the way to go.

If you only got free usb ports, use a usb->serial adapter.
            -TJ

Comment

it looks like scantool.com sells most of the parts. I'm not ready for that task either. I am good with computers, but not electronics. I'll build a bunch of them, just not from scratch

Probably worth the $80 just for the peace of mind. It would cost you more then that just for installation if you didn't do it yourself, so it's a bargain!

Comment

Here's another one. And, as you see on the page, they offer a Serial to USB adapter.

http://www.dashmatics.com/product_in...products_id=61

Comment

I have the ScanTool and it is worth the money spent.

Comment

Serial is much easier to program for and a bit easier to manufacture.

Comment

Serial is a lot easyer to program, i looked at some USB stuff just to control some relays and would never go thru such a process to send a few volts
                      CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                      Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I got this one mainly because the software looked better. Only $122.

Comment

Originally posted by owenjh
                          Serial is a lot easyer to program, i looked at some USB stuff just to control some relays and would never go thru such a process to send a few volts
                          there are manufacturers of USB components (that can with a little bit of soldering become relay controls) that have all the work for you done in modules.
                          but in the end serial adapters and parallel port adapters are always cheaper
                          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

I have the scantool as well, but it was way cheaper when I got it I think.
                            I only wish the software was better. v2 is supposed to becoming out b4 the next ice age.
                            If the code was in VB, I would tackle it.

D

Comment

BR-3 OBDII Interface

I don't see this listed here anywhere:

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/ Made by Beverly Roadman, and has it's own software that has an option for virtual gauges (one of the things I want to have displaying real-time) AND it's supported by freediag
                              $88 shipped includes the cable. It also supports the 3 major protocols.

Lacoste

Comment

Working...
                              X