OBD II questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD II questions

Hey I just registered here after searching the site for a month or so and have been trying to find info before I post. First of all hello to all and I've enjoyed reading the info found on here.

Second what I want to know is if anyone has any info on obd programs for Nissans? I worked for Nissan before and we used the scan tool called "consult" which is 3k. ANd my friend first informed me of building a carputer which I'm in the process of researching all necessary parts pricing and options.

So does anyone know what would wok best for a Nissan? I would like to have the gauge display's and all the other basic stuff with an oiption of being able to clear dtc's.

Thanks for any help.

Yes I ed

99 Sentra SE-l sr20de pwr

Lourans pronounced Lawrence

I'm working on the same problem. I've got a 96 Maxima and I've tapped into the OBDII port but this does not provide the same info as the Consult port (which is what the $3k Consult machines plugs into).

Can you get any info through your friend about the workings of the Consult port...pinouts, codes, voltages, etc?

I hear its complicated.

Also, one could pay $400 and pickup nProbe which does pretty much the same thing as the Consult device.

Check out:
    http://www.300degree.com/electronics/nprobe/

Comment

sentra... maxima....

200SX!!! BRING IT BABY!!!!!

oh yea... I havnt looked for any obdII software just for nissans... but now that I know there are some other nissan guys I will be on the prowle...
      Have you guys looked at the nissanforms.com ?
      Originally posted by menudude
      thank you all for your help minus the useless post by sjlucky...

Comment

I foud this it says for asian models

http://www.obddiagnostics.com/index.html

Hey cyjad where in chicago are you? Have you ever went to any of the meets up there @ busse woods?

I havent been on Nissan forums in a while I dont know if they got info for carputer stuff like that, but I dunno I'm mostly on sr20forums

edit:hmmm the nprobe looks real nice and has alot of features i never saw working at Nissan with the consult. But I want it to be intergrated into the carputer and from what I'm getting about the link i posted it ca read all makes and models (well most anywho)

Comment

Maximasssss...
          Current Status: For Sale

Specs
          - 1.5Ghz Toshiba Laptop (available - no screen)
          - Indash Motorized 7" VGA TS
          - DeLorme GPS (sold)
          - Power Inverter (sold)
          - Pioneer HU (sold)

Comment

I've been to the sr20 meet in busse woods last year. My friend is nismo91 on the forum. I went down to the sr20 meet in birmingham, al a couple of months ago.

Comment

have you looked at www.autotap.com ?? they claim to have a lot of manufacturer specific information and looks to be pretty nice software ...

it's a little expensive when compared to scantool.net but compared to $3k it's not bad
              My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
                have you looked at www.autotap.com ?? they claim to have a lot of manufacturer specific information and looks to be pretty nice software ...

it's a little expensive when compared to scantool.net but compared to $3k it's not bad
                Autotap only is ford gm and chrysler.

This one also works with Nissans/asian models.

http://www.obd-2.com/#new

I organized the first busse woods meet! I found that place! :P no big deal. Yeah isnt that Steve? Drives a nx and a se-r turbo'ed?

Comment

Yup, that's Steve.

Cliff

Comment

This would be nice if someone could get it to work!!! ill be all over that..

Comment

Originally posted by cyjad
                      I'm working on the same problem. I've got a 96 Maxima and I've tapped into the OBDII port but this does not provide the same info as the Consult port (which is what the $3k Consult machines plugs into).

Can you get any info through your friend about the workings of the Consult port...pinouts, codes, voltages, etc?

I hear its complicated.

Also, one could pay $400 and pickup nProbe which does pretty much the same thing as the Consult device.

Check out:

Bringing this tread back

Wondering what happens after 1999 with the consult???

Anyone here have a 2000+ nissan with a OBDII ? If so which one? I have been roaming through the treads and have seen references to this one alot
                      http://www.obddiagnostics.com/index.html
                      I could not find nissan car compatibilty listed anywhere though. Anyone useing this setup in their 2000+ nissan?

I am going to try asking my dealers service department too see if that gets me anywhere

Thanks

-B
                      My Install

Software:
                      CFiG v1
                      iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                      Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                      StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

I have a a 2003 infiniti G35 coupe. It is OBD II. You can connect to it using any ISO compiliant scantool. I use the one from scantool.net. The same should be true for ALL nissans made after 1996.

The things like AutoTap or anything else for nissans, to my knowledge, don't offer anything above and beyond additional manufacturer specific trouble codes for nissans. i.e. they will give you a description for a manufacturer specific trouble code, where others would only give you the trouble code. I heard this is because of the consult scan tool which is proprietary and doesn't work the same as extended OBD II stuff. If you want to get any of the functionality of the consult, I don't think you'll be able to do it using OBD II extended codes. You would have have a consult device or get something that hacked the consult protocol like conZult, but this software is car specific (http://www.ooparts-international.com/id8.htm).

I found a PDF online a while ago that described portions of the consult protocol, I can't seem to find it now, but I have the link in work, I'll try and post it on monday.

I'm currently working on an OBD II plugin format and stevieg (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32692) will be making a program to use it that will do a bunch of stuff through standard OBD II. Eventually, if I find the time I will make a plugin that will use the consult interface instead, but I probably won't get around to this until May or so.
                        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjad

I hear its complicated.

Check out:
                          damn, that is tight ... who would need to monitor that many temperatures in their car at once?
                          don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

Comment

God of cpu, thanks for the reply, I think that I am starting to peice this together.

One thing that I am still confused on is the whole Consult thing. Do Nissans after 1999 have consult output as well as OBD II? Every link on consult seems to say that it only works for 1990-1999 nissans, but nothing newer. Did they do away with the consult protocol?? Or is it now just concidered extended output on the OBD II?? Also does consult plugin to the same conector as OBD II? Or is there a seperate connector?

The other thing that I am tring to understand is what is actually outputed by just the OBD II in a nissan do you get : Status of onboard tests , Fuel system status, Engine load, Coolant temperature, Fuel Trim (Long and short term), Manifold Pressure, Engine Rpm, Vehicle speed, Ignition timing advance, Intake air temperature, Intake air flow rate, Throttle position, Secondary air status, Oxygen sensor locations, Oxygen sensor voltages, --> or are thease concidered part of the extended output of the consult.

Thanks again for all the help.
                            My Install

Software:
                            CFiG v1
                            iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                            Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                            StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

I believe all those things are standard Mode 1 OBD II codes http://obddiagnostics.com/obdinfo/pids1-2.html . YOu can read quite a few things with OBD II, the major limitations I think it has are:
                              1. Its slow, around 3 updates a second vs probably around 30 or more for consult
                              2. It only have 30 or so things to monitor and doesnt have things like odometer or direct mpg readings although you can estimate these from other parameters
                              3. It's read only for the most part, you can only reset the check engine light, you can't change fuel mappings or anything else
                              4. You can't do the really cool proprietary things that the consult does like change your light auto-off feature etc.

There are two versions of the consult protocol, consult and consult 2. I'm not sure what year they switched over to consult 2, but 1999 is probably a good guess. Yes all nissans after 1999 use some form of the consult, probably all use consult 2. I know my car is consult 2 and OBD II. The consult uses the same port as OBD II, however, it uses different wires on that port, OBD II only needs like 4 or so wires to get all the information, there are like 10 or 16 on a standard diagnostic port so the others are generally used for a proprietary protocol, like the consult. All cars made after 1996 are required by law to have a standard OBD II data port located near the steering wheel some place and support all the standard PIDs.

Originally posted by alti
                              God of cpu, thanks for the reply, I think that I am starting to peice this together.

One thing that I am still confused on is the whole Consult thing. Do Nissans after 1999 have consult output as well as OBD II? Every link on consult seems to say that it only works for 1990-1999 nissans, but nothing newer. Did they do away with the consult protocol?? Or is it now just concidered extended output on the OBD II?? Also does consult plugin to the same conector as OBD II? Or is there a seperate connector?

The other thing that I am tring to understand is what is actually outputed by just the OBD II in a nissan do you get : Status of onboard tests , Fuel system status, Engine load, Coolant temperature, Fuel Trim (Long and short term), Manifold Pressure, Engine Rpm, Vehicle speed, Ignition timing advance, Intake air temperature, Intake air flow rate, Throttle position, Secondary air status, Oxygen sensor locations, Oxygen sensor voltages, --> or are thease concidered part of the extended output of the consult.

Thanks again for all the help.
                              StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                              Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                              The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Working...
                              X