No announcement yet.

Twin VAG-COM cable consumes electicity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin VAG-COM cable consumes electicity?

I have Twin VAG-COM cable. Cable has a LED and this LED is "On" even, when I turn off the engine. I afraid, that it will drain some power from car's battery if I will leave it pluged in. Can I modify the cable, so it will not consume energy when car is off?

Thanks
    ProjectEZP.com next generation police speedtrap locator. Free database for your GPS system (includes US/Canada).

What is a VAG-COM cable??
    My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
    Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

Comment

Originally posted by MeanGT
      What is a VAG-COM cable??
      OBDII software/hardware to use on Audi and VW. Check it here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/
      ProjectEZP.com next generation police speedtrap locator. Free database for your GPS system (includes US/Canada).

Comment

The drain will be extremely miniscule since it is a LED, car alarms sometimes have multiple flashing LEDs and still have no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by kami333
          The drain will be extremely miniscule since it is a LED, car alarms sometimes have multiple flashing LEDs and still have no problems.
          yes, but LED is just an indicator. There is also some parts sitting inside and consuming power. Is there any way to test, how mutch power this thing consumes? I know, I can measure ampers, coming into the unit, but in order to do it, I will have to disasamble the console and cut the power wire.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the current drain at all. If I remmeber correctly the drain for the whole unit is only like 50mA when all activated. Even then the LED only draws about 10mA so unless you leave it on for months at a time without starting the car you should be ok.

Originally posted by blaster
            yes, but LED is just an indicator. There is also some parts sitting inside and consuming power. Is there any way to test, how mutch power this thing consumes? I know, I can measure ampers, coming into the unit, but in order to do it, I will have to disasamble the console and cut the power wire.

Comment

Working...
            X