Class 2 Data Bus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 2 Data Bus

Having a car that uses GM's Class 2 data bus and will might put the check engine light / service light on if you replace the stereo!

To solve this I am thinking about #3 (Because of the in dash LCD headunit) from below
    http://www.incolor.com/weisinator/fi...2-data-bus.htm

This is a pain, has anyone ever done this before???
    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

While it's true that class 2 databus uses the factory radio to program factory keyless entry, reset service lights and low tire pressure lights, but only on certain cars. I only know of some Impalas and Monte Carlos use this setup. Trucks, and J bodies only have chimers, XM and onstar to worry about. I have not done any newer GM cars where the removal of factory stereo caused the service light to come on. PAC do make a converter box for the class 2 data bus to allow you to replace the factory radio with aftermarket radio while keeping the chime and Onstar with Bose without relocating the factory radio. One down side is if your vehicle has XM, you will loose that feature. If all else fails relocate the factory radio to the trunk. Forget about mounting the radio under the seat or the glovebox. It doesnt fit.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

It won't fit in my glove box? Class 2 data bus is on every GM that was made after the year 2000.
      So, I might be ok to replace my stereo? It would be nice to not recieve those awful chimes when I don't get my seatbelt on by the time I have turned the engine on.
      CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
      Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Its not on every 2000, The s-10 didn't get the new radio until 2002 and even then I bet they just made an adapter for it, why redesign the whole electrical system on a discontinued line. The main thing you will loose is the chime and the control over the car such as reset the oil change light or washer sweep. You can reset the oil change light in other ways and there are chime replacements available now.

Comment

alright... i have a 2000 cavalier z24 with the class 2 data system.

first off, i'd like to find the people at gm who came up with this idea and beat them with a pipe.

now down to business...

the radio in *my* class 2 data system is a sub-computer... basically it does its own thing on the side of the car's main computer system. so when i took mine out all i lost was the speed controlled volume, the radio power off delay, and the idiot chime. the reason the idoit chime is lost is that the radio plays the chime through the front left speaker. since the radio is run via the class 2 data stream, there is no ignition wire for turning the radio on.

so, there are a couple options... you can use a basic gm compatable wiring harness to hook up your new stereo. you will lose the all those features i listed above, but it is by far the cheapest.

the other option that you can do is what i did. several companies have available a specialized harness that lets you piggyback the new radio into your existing system. basically it is a T-harness that still lets the original radio recieve the class 2 data. some of them also come with a small speaker that you can hook up to the original radio to maintain the idiot chime. also, i put the original radio in the glove compartment, and it fit fine.

so, there are your options...NO lights will come on, your airbags WONT deploy, your car WONT stop running, or any of the other horror stories. the only way your airbags will go off is if you start screwing with the wiring while you are in the dash... dont cut or tap anything if you dont know what it is for

let us know what kind of car you have also...

~Mike
          Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
          PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
          2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Thats what I was trying to say

I was very lucky my 2000 doesn't have the class 2 so I didn't have to do anything.

Its not necessarily a bad idea, I like being able to control the car. In my wife's Impala you can turn on or off the auto door locks, you can control how many swipes the wipers make when you run the washer. I think they should have added the ability to read the OBDII codes on the radio, that would make it great.

Comment

Oh thanks god that GM didn't use the class 2 or whatever radio in the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. Otherwise, I am screw. Well I am screw now anyway because I have a Toyota car with a GM radio in there and no one is making an aux adapter for the radio.

Toyota did put a OBD1 reader in their cars back in the late 80s which called SuperComputer. Yes, the 87- 88 and early 89 Toyota Cressida, and Supra NA and Turbo had ODB1 reader installed part of the gauges where the clock is (On Supras). You can read error code, reset error code,service reminder, fuel level.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

It sounds like you do have the class 2 bus then. The pre class 2 gm radios have aux adapters available. The aux plug on them is seperate from the mainn wiring plug so it won't matter what kind of car its plugged into. Does your radio have RDS on it somewhere?

Comment

I don't think the radio on my Matrix is GM class 2 because the radio doesn't interfere with the operation of the car like Check engine/service light or other problem stated in previous posts. The only problem with when replace that radio with aftermarket (some Matrix owners already did) is a crappy radio reception. There is some wire trick to turn on the antenna for better reception.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                    I don't think the radio on my Matrix is GM class 2 because the radio doesn't interfere with the operation of the car like Check engine/service light or other problem stated in previous posts. The only problem with when replace that radio with aftermarket (some Matrix owners already did) is a crappy radio reception. There is some wire trick to turn on the antenna for better reception.
                    Those were just rumors, you do't get a check engine or break the car.

Does your radio have RDS written on it somewhere?

Comment

i don't think its a GM radio, I worked at a pontiac dealership for a while and the vibe radio was different from the rest of the radios there, if anything is a monsoon radio adapted to a toyota, pontiac doesn't always use Bose/Delco radios

Comment

The radio on the Toyota Matrix is AC/Delco or Delphi radio. This is what it look like.

Interior:

This is a typical Toyota Radio on Corolla (The Toyota Matrix is AKA Toyota Corolla Matrix)

Y2K Accord Dell GX150

Comment

The shape of the knobs and buttons look Delco/GM but they haven't used LEDs for the display since the 80's, everything since then has been bright white VFD. I can tell class 2 or not from the usual GM radios but have no idea on this one.

Comment

All S-10 trucks are NOT class 2 databus, even the 2003. GM doesnt use class 2 databus on every car, Only Chevys, Caddilacs, and GMCs. All Saturns, and Geo lines like the Prism dont have class 2 databus eventhough the radio looks like it. I dont even think that Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles are class 2. All class 2 radios will have door chimer built in. If you dont hear the chimer coming from the driver speaker then it's not class 2. I dont think RDS plays any role in class 2 databus.

On a class 2 databus radio, a single wire (thin orange wire) can do
                            01 ignition control. turn the key off and remove the key, the radio continues to play until the door's open.
                            02 illumination control. turn on the parking lights and the lights on the radio dims
                            03 door chime. GM got rid of the chimer circuit and built it into the radio. All warning chimes come from the driver speaker.
                            04 Onstar control. Allows onstar's audio to play through the radio's front speakers and mute the rear speakers
                            05 XM control. Allows controlling the GM XM satillite slave receiver. Audio is through the line input of the deck
                            06 various vehicle function control and programming. resets low tire pressure warning, oil change service warning, keyless entry programming
                            07 VIN number ID. class2 databussed radios are not interchangeable. They have VIN lock on it. You can't pull a radio out of an Impala and stick it in a silverado.
                            08 VSS controlled volume. The faster you travel the louder the radio gets.

The only cars that require relocating the radio are the ones that can control other functions such as Impalas and Monte Carlos.

You can take the following steps to determine whether you should relocate the radio or can pull it out completely when you're installing a new radio.

If your factory radio is 1 1/2 DIN 3" high then pull the radio out. If it's double DIN over 4" high then goto next step.

Place the key in the ignition or turn on your parking lights and put your ear next to the driver speaker. If you dont hear the warning chime coming from the driver door then you can pull the radio out. If you hear the door chime then goto next step

Press and hold the center button on the lower left knob for 30 seconds. If "SETTING" shows up then you HAVE to relocate the radio elsewhere with a relocation T harness. If "SETTING doesnt appear after hold the button for over a minute then goto next step

If you don't have Onstar or XM then you can pull the radio out but you will loose the chime. You will have to run an ACC wire to the fuse box or to the ignition wire. If you want to keep the chime you can use PAC part# C2RGM24. It also provides an ACC wire and retains delayed shut off. If you have either or both then goto next step

If you have Onstar but NO XM, you can replace the factory radio with an aftermarket deck by using PAC part# OS2. If you have BOSE then use OS2-BOSE

If you have XM and WITH OR WITHOUT Onstar and want to keep the XM then you have keep the radio. You can use the PAC AUX IN adapter # AAI-GM12 and relocate the aftermarket radio elsewhere. You have to use the stock radio for main volume control.

Class 2 Databus isnt as hard to deal with as some people said. I've never had any problem removing the radio or relocating the radio. I always follow 2 simple rules. 1 never disconnect anything when the ignition's on. 2, never disconnect any yellow plugs or looms then turn the ignition on. It's a good way to make the airbag light to come on and possibly deploy the airbag.

If I missed any combination then PM me and I will add it in.
                            NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                            If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

my 2000 pontiac bonneville is LED with class 2 databus
                              If at first you don't succeed, so much for skydiving!

Comment

Working...
                              X