No announcement yet.

OBD Diagnostics connected all the time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD Diagnostics connected all the time?

Hi Everyone,

After searching here a long time, I ordered the OBD Diagnostics BR-3, and I got the following email response. I'm very happy that Bev is being very forthcoming about the product and doesn't want to ship me something I'll be dissapointed with, but I'm curious if you guys think she's being overly conservative.

I suspect that many of you use the device exactly as I have planned, and I was wondering if any of you have experienced what Bev describes below.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Robert, What we have is mostly designed as a simple diagnostic tool, it
    doesn't have a watchdog timer or any sort of automatic operations, so it may
    not be suitable for what you need. For example, it may loose connection when
    cranking an engine, especially if the battery is low, weak, or weather very
    cold, and the only way to reset it is to unplug it and start over.

I'll put your order on hold until I hear from you and there will be no problem
    to cancel it if you need to.

Thanks,

Bev

"Rob Lamontagne" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Bev,
    >
    > I plan on installing the laptop primarily for other purposes, MP3,
    > XMradio, DVD, GPS navigation, cell phone touchscreen interface, backup
    > camera, etc., And the OBD is only one aspect.
    >
    > That being said, my intention is to be able to have the OBD interface
    > cable connected all the time, and only call up the program when I want it.

> I don't really plan on using the OBD interface on an every-trip basis, but
    > in the future I may like to access the appropriate information for real time

> miles/gallon display. What are your thoughts on whether this is a feasible

> plan.
    >
    > I've read good things about your adapter and software from MP3Car.com user

> forums. Please let me know what you think. Is there possibly another
    > adapter out there you'd like to recommend that would maybe have better
    > connectivity results?
    >
    > Thanks for being so forthcoming and for your time.
    >
    > Rob

It won't help you measure the miles per gallon.

And again, leaving it plugged in may work, but it also may need to be reset
    and the only way to do that is to unplug it and start over. It is possible for
    transients or other electrical disturbances to cause it to loose connection on
    some vehicles, especially while cranking the engine.

I can't really reccomend anything for you because I've not used anything else.
    Sorry I can't be much help.
    '03 Escape 4WD:
    -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
    -Transflective 8.4"
    -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
    -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
    -Slim Slot DVD+RW
    -RR, DFX 4

I have a BR-3, leave it plugged in all the time, no problem. Only time I had to unplug it was after a dead battery, it acted funky.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

Cool! Thanks Chairboy. I guess I'll tell her to go ahead and send it.

Everyone else have the same experience?
      '03 Escape 4WD:
      -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
      -Transflective 8.4"
      -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
      -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
      -Slim Slot DVD+RW
      -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Originally posted by Chairboy
        I have a BR-3, leave it plugged in all the time, no problem. Only time I had to unplug it was after a dead battery, it acted funky.
        Same here... I have had my BR-3 connect for over a month now. No problems at all.

I just wish there was a way to set defaults on the application. You have to select the interface, turn on each sensor, select analog gauges, and then maximize each time.

-BZ
        It has to start somewhere... It has to start sometime.
        What better place than here? What better time than now?

Comment

i have one as well

ive never left it in for a long time ( the obd port is in a crapy place for vw's) but i have had it lose connection before while testing my brothers jetta i just closed the program and opened it back up and that did it for me

Comment

crash893 - u could to to a bone yard and snip a connector out and wire it to your harness above the factory plug so the obd2 isn't in your way. You could also hard wire it to your factory wire harness above the connector if the bone yard is inconvenient.

Comment

Haven't pulled it since the install. Everything running fine.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidL
                crash893 - u could to to a bone yard and snip a connector out and wire it to your harness above the factory plug so the obd2 isn't in your way. You could also hard wire it to your factory wire harness above the connector if the bone yard is inconvenient.
                yea i was thinking about it

it only uses like 3-4 wires ( of the total of 16 pins) so i could just splice them in

Comment

Working...
                X