suggestion needed for ECU system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion needed for ECU system

Hey, im trying to figure out the best setup for the sole purpose of ECU modding and monitoring...
    should i go with a cheap laptop, or build a cheap celeron-based slim microATX system, and if so what is necessity?
    thanks

Pick your interface box and related software and that will then tell you what PC you will need to drive it. But, you can probably use just about any PC as the PC hardware constraints are usually pretty low.

What do you mean about modding? You mean to reprogram the ECU with custom code? That is not a simple task. Monitoring with the right hardware / software is not difficult.

Comment

i dont totally understand... but part of its use will be to reprogram the code, its for a guy that knows cars and engines, just not about building car computers :P so i do the sys construction, then he does his programing and monitoring, and i actually think he is going to get another person with ECU programming exp to do it

Comment

laptop.. you installing an ems?
        ----------------------
        VIA Epia II
        256MB 266DDR Ram
        90GB Wester Digital
        Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
        Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
        ----------------------
        Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

heh...
          ...ems... whats that?

:P

Comment

engine management system.. Thats the only thing i can think of that will require an onboard computer to do the tuning. You cant really 'mod' the ecu, unless you completely reflash it or replace the chip. EMS allows you to tap into the data that your 'normal' ecu would send and make your modifications...
            ----------------------
            VIA Epia II
            256MB 266DDR Ram
            90GB Wester Digital
            Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
            Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
            ----------------------
            Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

ok, and what is the simplest and cheapest way to do that, reliably?

Comment

Just use a laptop. Don't really know why you would need a permanent in car solution.
                2004 WRX Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by gleinz
                  Just use a laptop. Don't really know why you would need a permanent in car solution.
                  Yeah, And you don't even need a new one... My new notebook (2 months old) doesn't even have a serial port anymore. Or you have to buy a USB OBD breakout box.
                  Needstorage
                  --------------------------

Who the hell is general failure?!?
                  And what the f@#k is he doing reading my drive C:\?

Comment

ok, thanks... time to find cheap laptop + cereal port

Comment

the HALtek E6k is a great system, u can change anything on the fly..
                      2011 Nissan Frontier SL
                      AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
                      OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Not EVERYtning, I used to have a haltech on a VL with a rb25 and you could change all the fuel settings, but any electrically configured stuff, like what injectors were connected up to which outputs, valves, sensors, etc, had to be changed, then the haltech, "rebooted" to make the changes take effect.
                        Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
                        Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
                        ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
                        Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
                        Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
                        600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

Comment

Working...
                        X