Which OBDII to buy???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which OBDII to buy???

i have a 96 land rover disco with a OBDII in it and was wondering, will all OBDII's work with it. Is there one that ppl like a lot better over others that will work with my car?? please let me know. Thanx.

Also i cant find much information out there about land rover being OBDII compliant or just information on them in general (what they track) so if anyone could help i would much appreciate it.

Thanx a ton.

smonice

Land Rover Disco I SE7 (85% done)
    smonice
    ------------------

Land Rover Discovery I SE7
    800MHz Laptop, 384Meg Ram, 160Gig Ext HD
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    Built in Wireless and Cell Phone Net Connection

Click Here for Pics (not up yet)

I"ve been in your shoes before and the one that i found that i liked the most was the br-3 from here . its $88 delivered, and i liked that you can download the application that goes with it for free and it contain an emmulator of sorts to display random data so you can check it out before you buy the adapter!
    don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

Comment

and this will work with my rover as long as it has the OBD-II adapter?

Thanx

smonice
      smonice
      ------------------

Land Rover Discovery I SE7
      800MHz Laptop, 384Meg Ram, 160Gig Ext HD
      Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
      Built in Wireless and Cell Phone Net Connection

Click Here for Pics (not up yet)

Comment

"This is an interface between a personal computer and a vehicle's OBDII diagnostic bus. It allows you to Read out trouble codes when your "check engine" light comes on. You can also clear these codes. You can retrieve pretty much any piece of OBDII mandated diagnostic data from your vehicle. The interface supports OBDII protocols commonly used in US vehicles"

Don't see why not.
        AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
        "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

does that mean it'll only read obd mandated stuff and not vechicle specific stuff?
          -Ross
          02 Camaro SS
          Opus 150W($150 used) Morex Venus 668 Case($109) Epia M10k($166) 128 Megs ($0), Maxtor 200Gig($76) CD-R/DVD($29) Lilliput 7"($285) Buffalo Airstation($42) Holux GPS($53) GM10-AUX(audio input, $72)
          Tot: $983
          Buying stereo!

Comment

If the scan tool company does not specify that it will access enhanced data for your vehicle specifically, then it very likely will not. But, it should access the OBD2 or Generic data. Most aftermarket scan tools only will get to generic content.

Comment

What he said
              AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

is this a software thing? i mean can i use this hardware with different software to get vehicle specific stuff?
                -Ross
                02 Camaro SS
                Opus 150W($150 used) Morex Venus 668 Case($109) Epia M10k($166) 128 Megs ($0), Maxtor 200Gig($76) CD-R/DVD($29) Lilliput 7"($285) Buffalo Airstation($42) Holux GPS($53) GM10-AUX(audio input, $72)
                Tot: $983
                Buying stereo!

Comment

It is a software thing, but I found that you would need vehicle specific software.
                  For instance, I work at a Lexus dealer, we use a Midtronics scan tool which gets into all modules (ECU, ABS, etc.) and reads all info. It also does certain output test.
                  I also have a PDA, cable, "box" and software, I can only get the limited stuff with this. I allready was trying to figure out a way to get the software copied out of the midtronics scantool, but no luck. I do wish some guru/autotech here could figure this out.
                  AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods

Comment

Working...
                  X