Pre-1996 Cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-1996 Cars

Was there/ What is the standard for car diagnostics in cars manufactured before 01011996? Is there any hope of connecting a laptop/carputer to them and retrieving error codes and/or real time data? On my car (1993 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,) there are two small connectors under my hood, one black and about 1.5x.5in, and another about .5inē. Are these standard OBD-II connectors or are they proprietary to the Ford or what? I know that these are the diagnostic connectors- I've seen the guy at Autozone connect a OBD-II like machine to them...

Originally posted by wvanduser
    Was there/ What is the standard for car diagnostics in cars manufactured before 01011996? Is there any hope of connecting a laptop/carputer to them and retrieving error codes and/or real time data? On my car (1993 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,) there are two small connectors under my hood, one black and about 1.5x.5in, and another about .5inē. Are these standard OBD-II connectors or are they proprietary to the Ford or what? I know that these are the diagnostic connectors- I've seen the guy at Autozone connect a OBD-II like machine to them...
    probably obd1
    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

obdI is what you need and they do make some equipment for them OBDII has more options , oviously.

Comment

I'm looking for OBD-I tools myself( http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39014 ) if you happen to come across them please share.
        Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52477

Install: 90% complete

Comment

sure thing, sapiens.

Comment

Originally posted by wvanduser
            They are Ford EEC-IV. They are Ford proprietary.

The single connector/wire plug is shorted to ground to run KOEO & KOER tests. Subsequent DTCs can be determined by counting flashing of the MIL at test termination. Search the web for these standard codes.

The 6-pin connector allows for ECM 'real-time' data access.
            There may also be a 6-pin ABS connector.

http://www.obd2.com/scantool/data/sc..._fordeeciv.htm

Comment

there is no way to pull real time data out of that ford ecu. i looked into it because i have a 1994 ford ranger. the only thing you can do is pull codes and you do not need a computer to do that
              PROJECT LEXUS ES300

Comment

Check this out.. It's called EASE and it does appear to do Real Time monitoring according to the screencaps available on their website. Pretty pricey though, $350 for the software, "scan tool" (an EEC-IV to serial processor), and some cables, and it *is* vehicle-specific. Click the link above and on that page follow the link to 1995 and older Ford. Under Software Screens there's a slideshow of screenshots. Worth a try?
                Attached Files
                Save XMLM! Sign the Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/liqmetal/

Comment

I dunno, $350.00??? I don't want it that badly.

Comment

that's all pretty cool information that it can pull out, though....

Comment

Working...
                    X