how many wires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many wires

hi new to this thread i have a 1997 rover600 ti (turbo) i have been told that i havent got obd-II but after looking under the steering wheel by the throtle i found a conector that looks exactly like obd-II .
    my question is how many wires go into the block because my one only seems to have 3 that i can see and this seems like a very low number for the size of the conector
    thanks
    Program aborting close all that you have worked on,You ask to much. You step into the stream,but the water has moved on, This page is not here. Chaos reigns within, Reflect,repent,and reboot.Order shall return
    The car

ODBII

All cars built since Jan. 1 1996 have OBDII. So your car has it, if it follows this guideline.

Can you be more clear about the wires though, I really didnt understand the question ?
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

hi
      the conector in the car is a big white one with lots of pins but only 3 of the pins seem to be used ?
      Program aborting close all that you have worked on,You ask to much. You step into the stream,but the water has moved on, This page is not here. Chaos reigns within, Reflect,repent,and reboot.Order shall return
      The car

Comment

Ahh well not sure about that one.. but check out that web site it will give you a pin out of OBD and you'll probably be able to tell whats comming from those pins.
        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
        Via EPIA MII
        512MB RAM
        OEM GPS (embedded)
        nLite WinXP pro on
        1GB Extreme III CF card
        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

All cars SOLD in the USA after jan 1 1996 have OBD2, Some that do not exist here in the US and some High-end sports cars that are loophole imported (read as bribing the federal gov't) do not have it.

Comment

but it's a rover and it's british and im in the uk
            The car

Comment

Iamthehor has it right - obd-ii is a standard made by CARB - California Air Resources Board. thus it's a US standard, and doesn't have to be on anyone else's cars. that doesn't mean it doesn't exist on other cars though.

to the original poster - 3 pins is just fine for an obd-ii port. one is data, one's ground, and the other is probably 12v constant. you can safely probe an obd-ii port with a meter to check continuity to ground and existance of +12vdc but don't expect to see much on that third pin with just a multimeter. you might see continuity to ground w/ the engine off, or you may never see anything. it's a serial data line, and it uses chassis ground for its signal ground.

if you have a friend or know of a shop that has an obd-ii scan tool you could use, try connecting it and see what you get! you may be pleasantly surprised.
              Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
              Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

Visuals

Comment

Working...
                X