Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 samples per second OBDII logger? Check this..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 samples per second OBDII logger? Check this..

http://www.sctflash.com/raptor.php

its only available for fords (yay for me) but I'm assuming thats just the software limitation.

The point is, they claim 62samples/second on an OBDII vehicle but I thought obd2's specs are limited to 10 samples per second?

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks
    2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
    Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
    Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Yeah every time i looked into this, i found OBD II rates limited to 10Hz. If its possible to get higher rates somehow via the OBD II standard, that would be cool...i wonder how this box does it?
    Mazdaspeed Car Computer
    gotta redo it all

Comment

Since it is Ford specific, they can do whatever they want.

The port on the cars may be putting out information that fast, and the scanner is just tuned to pick up on it. Whereas the normal scanner available is tuned to use the standard 10 Hz. This would work if the Ford port was putting out the code in some multiple of 10 Hz, that whenever the normal scanner caught up, it managed to catch the next code it was looking for.

It could also be using some handshaking procedure available in Ford cars, and not a standard type communication protocol.
      2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
      7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
      80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

I wonder if perhaps my Mazda ECU is able to do the same (got ford labels all over it..)... pile of **** has got to be good for something!
        Mazdaspeed Car Computer
        gotta redo it all

Comment

That kind of refresh rate all depends on what kind of protocol your vehicle supports. Anything using the PWM protocol is capable of 30+ updates / sec with the right reader hardware. If you have ISO on the otherhand, consider yourself lucky if you get anywhere near 10 updates / sec, expect more like 2-5.

If there saying thier product is just for fords there probably using a ford specific protocol thats dependant on special hardware that uses the same OBD II port but probably utilizes different data lines so its technically not OBD II, but functionally you can get all the same data out and usually a lot more ford specific things. You can get high framerates strictly with PWM if you wanted to use something somewhat OBD II compliant, even though trying to read something at greater then 10 updates / sec is a violation of the OBD II standard, you can still often do it.

http://www.scantool.net/scanned_list.shtml
          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter
            I wonder if perhaps my Mazda ECU is able to do the same (got ford labels all over it..)... pile of **** has got to be good for something!
            Depends on what make you have... If you have ISO, no, if PWM, good chance. Regardless, it may still be possible if you step outside of OBD II protocol, but be prepared to shell out big $ for it.
            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Its most definetly ISO..damn. Oh well. not worth it.
              Mazdaspeed Car Computer
              gotta redo it all

Comment

wow. I didn't think I would see anyone else looking at this unit on this board. I am about to build up a 450 Hp 5.8L for my truck and I am looking at using this unit along with another part that can re-burn or reprogram the ECU. I will add the application to my carPC.
                the unit I am looking at goes for $800.00. here is some info from the web site:

SCT gives you Full Control of over 320+ Parameters. Every available PCM has the same level of control!!!

Works with all Ford 96-04 OBD-II Vehicles

Lightning Fast 62 samples per second

View Data Live or export saved data to other applications

Support for 4800+ Ford PCMs

NOTE: this is if you buy both parts not just the USB Raptor.

Randell Kelly

Comment

OBD-II is a request protocol, as in, the reader says 'HEY! Car, tell me about item 153.' The car says "Here's the data on item 153." A fraction of a second later, the reader says "HEY! Now I want to know about item 154" and the car says "Ok, here's the data on item 154."

The original spec was for 10 samples a second, and there's nothing to stop Ford from making systems that support higher data rates, it'll always be compatible because as long as it supports 10hz at 4800, it's OBD-II.

The key to remember is that the OBD-II port isn't just broadcasting info, you have to ask for something specific, that's why most OBD-II readers have you toggle items to read on and off. If you don't care about the RPM and Speed, then getting rid of those makes the others update faster, etc.

This is also why you see occasional discussions asking if you can hurt your car by having an OBD-II reader hooked up all the time. So far, the answer is pretty uniformly no, but there have been intermitten reports of a car running weird after having a reader connected to it for too long, but that's super rare/hard to back up.
                  Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
                  http://hallert.net/

Comment

Originally posted by pyros
                    http://www.sctflash.com/raptor.php

its only available for fords (yay for me) but I'm assuming thats just the software limitation.

The point is, they claim 62samples/second on an OBDII vehicle but I thought obd2's specs are limited to 10 samples per second?

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks
                    It's probably Ford hi-speed PWM mode @ 16ms sampling (physical addressing)

GM also has a dynamic PID hi-speed VPW mode @ 25ms sampling (physical addressing)

Comment

woo woo go GM!!!! i need me some of that!

Comment

Hmmmmm..... almost makes me want to buy a new Mustang GT!
                        So far:
                        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

http://www.modulardepot.com/product_...products_id=47

This is the SCT Pro Racer package. It basically unlocks your OEM ECU into nearly all the features of a full fledged standalone unit. It is pretty popular with the guys running boosted Foci. I'm about to ditch my nitrous junk and try to get into boost and this is something I consider having total control over the ECU crucial to boosting a stock NA engine. Are there any other ford specific data loggers that are free or cheap that will pull information at this rate other than the raptor? And now the SCT Pro Racer package includes the USB Raptor I believe. So you get a chip, a chip flasher, and the data logger for about $800. It sure beats the hell out of standalone units and I'm not sure if you can even legally run a standalone on the street.
                          Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
                          DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Comment

Hi!!!!

I need your help please!!!!

I am writing code in Visual Basic in order to communicate to the ECU with ELM interface. I dont know very well how to write and read the commands I have to send/receive to talk to the ECU.

Could you help me please?

Ill appreciate your help!!!

Regards

Esteban

Comment

I'll be using a Diablo on my Lightning, the interface software for real time steaming needs to look better and doesn't look good at all on 800x600 @ 7 inches but I'm mainly concerned about it making gauges, I'm still looking for something to give me a digital boost gauge.
                              2K SVT Lightning, Some things and the usual truck pc, now with slot load dvd rom and ECM Data logging.
                              05 Scion xA

Comment

Working...
                              X