Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you adapt a serial device to USB? (ODB-II)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you adapt a serial device to USB? (ODB-II)

Right now, my laptop has only 1 serial port, and I'm using that as an infrared receiver..

in the future I want to add ODB-II readouts, etc.. and the only kind of ODB-II interface devices I've come across plug into a serial port...

Is there a way to adapt these things to USB?

thanks for any information!

USB to serial dongles can be had for ~$10 on-line or at any computer store.
    2004 4runner

Comment

I know they exist, I just wasn't sure if it would work for an application like this that's all

Comment

And if you plug it in via USB and the software doesn't want to recognize it, just use a USB to Serial simulator driver to make the software think you've got it all hooked up through Serial.
        Here it is! My carputer install! 1997 BMW M3

Comment

@Skipjacks: LOL, ALL USB->Serial dongles include a virtual COM port driver. That's the point!

@matress: The dongles support ANY serial hardware. The real issue is software. As long as your software doesn't try to do direct hardware access (unlikely), it will work fine. I'd say there is > 99.9% chance it's going to work.
          2004 4runner

Comment

I use these to connect to various brands of PLCs. This is the only adapter that has worked with every one of them.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=555201

Comment

i have a serial touchscreen, it won't wake from hibernation, I have to restart the computer every time. Do you think if I were to switch it from serial to USB with one of thiese that it would solve the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyM
                i have a serial touchscreen, it won't wake from hibernation, I have to restart the computer every time. Do you think if I were to switch it from serial to USB with one of thiese that it would solve the problem?
                Well since everyone jumped to answer, I decided to find out my self. And it does! I moved my serial TS over to the serial/usb adapter and re-installed the TS drivers (it's the only way to pick the com port number) and it worked fine! I've gone into hibernation and back out several times without any problems.

Thanks for the info Tim.
                Ah, no problem Tim, It was the least I could do for such a nice guy and all.

Comment

lol good information if I ever get a lilli or xenarc

Comment

you probably won't need it, I believe lilli and xenarc use USB TS to begin with. My monitor is a old POS monitor and it uses serial.

It may work with other serial devices that have a simular problem.

Comment

USB to serial convertors are a little picky. For home use I use an Edgeport USB to 8 serial port (search for it on eBay for great deals) that has worked with everything I have thrown at it. The single port ones I have tried 1/2 work 1/2 don't work with specific hardware. I think there is a specific chip that seems to work best, just can't remember which one it is off the top.

Comment

Working...
                      X