DIY kit in Elektor next month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY kit in Elektor next month

Elecktor are doing a article on how to make your own OBD-II -> PC converter next month for those of you willing to make the board to save a few pennies,
    Penguin Friendly - tyrion - David Dolphin

Hi,
    Is this artikel the one about the sonsory of cars?
    Is it usefull or not? I stay quite far from britain so i can't have a peak at the newsstand. Would have to purchase it via net.
    Dax

Comment

Its about making a OBD-II sensor for your car, instead of buying one, you'd buy the parts and make it yourself.

I'm thinking about sharing it with whoever wants it

Comment

I would definitely be interested in giving this a go. Or at least letting my Dad have a go!! He's a retired aerospace engineer, so it would be nothing compared to jumpjet head up displays and autopilots!!
        FociMan

Ford Focus Collection
        EPIA M10K / 512Kb / Creative Audigy NX USB
        8" touchscreen
        D-Link USB Radio
        USB GPS Mouse
        Bluetooth GPRS Web Connection
        Centrafuse Beta2 / MapMonkey

Comment

i'm def. interested in this. please keep me updated as well
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Its in the July/August issue which should be out start of July, I'll but it and scan it in, e-mail it to whoever wants it, PM me about it, seeing as talking pubicly about sending copyrighted stuff is bound to be breaking some law

Comment

you might find this interesting.. this fellow has worked out a simple circuit for odbii to pc comunication

http://www.planetfall.com/%7Ejeff/obdii/

as far as i can tell it works with the ISO obd interface, for most Germans and Jap cars

This page can tell you what interface your car has

http://www.obd-2.com/dlcnet.html
              [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
              Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
              a DIY video projector page

Comment

That looks cool, the pic I saw in the back of the mag look'd like it had way more components though, I dont know if thats a good or bad thing

Comment

sounds good, i was actually looking at building the OBDII-RS232 converter designed by Jeff. Very easy circuit, only hard (well not really hard) part is getting the opto isolators in Australia. I'd have to order them from RS Components (theyre in Australia) and pay $10AUD postage for ~$5 worth of components (i could goto RS components but its kinda on the edge of town, blah blah :P).

At the moment there are two types of OBDII circuits freely available on the net...

1. One like Jeff's which uses Opto Isolators - basically this is a K-Line box. These are really cheap to build, supposedly we have HEAPS of these where I work. These are just level shifters (ie from the +/- 13volts? of a RS232 port to 0-5v?).

2. One like Scantool.net which uses the ELM chip. This one is more expensive because it uses a proprietory chip. The Scantool.net version also seems to have a lot more software support and a lot of free software available for it.

I'm looking at making/importing either the K-Line or ELM type OBDII interfaces in Australia for those who are interested. It probably wont be for about another month or so when i get things finalised.
                  HP 9110nx P4 2.8ghz Laptop
                  BU-303 USB GPS Receiver

Comment

Originally posted by FociMan
                    I would definitely be interested in giving this a go. Or at least letting my Dad have a go!! He's a retired aerospace engineer, so it would be nothing compared to jumpjet head up displays and autopilots!!
                    hey hey hey... speaking of heads up displays...

that is like my ultimate, list of things to do before i die car modification- i'd LOVE to have a HUD in my car to display gauge readings and whatnot. this is actually a big part of the reason i'm getting into this whole carputer scene is to help me on my way to making a HUD.

any tips from your dad on how to do it?

data capturing and stuff wouldn't be a problem, it's display that i'm having trouble with.

Comment

Originally posted by tyRion
                      Its in the July/August issue which should be out start of July, I'll but it and scan it in, e-mail it to whoever wants it, PM me about it, seeing as talking pubicly about sending copyrighted stuff is bound to be breaking some law

It will be god if you send et to me
                      Plan for project = 100%
                      Part the project. = 100%
                      Built...................= 99%
                      Finish.................= 99%
                      Install ...............= 99% -50%
                      Ditail at 4u2n.dk
                      Here

Comment

OK, got my copy of the article today, but I'm not at home, I'll scan it in when i get home on monday, ok?

I should have all the editing done next weekend depending on how work goes this week, plus I'm getting b-band so I'll be setting that up?

Comment

The other version was posted ages ago >>>

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...4&postcount=13

Comment

Sounds Interesting..would like to check out the article

Comment

The other version was posted ages ago >>>
                              That article came out months ago

I'll try upload my copy over the weekend guys, is that ok?

Comment

Working...
                              X