Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tuning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tuning

    is it possible to do laptop type engine tuning on these? the only full car systems iv heard of is drive soft and it looks kind of lame but if i can do tuning at the same time that would help

  • #2
    yes you may, you can but a obd to to usb cable on ebay , they usually run for $35.00, now you have to find the right soft for your car

    for the volksvagens, skodas, audis, is VAG COM can be found @ ross tech

    i honestly do not know what else there you have to go to enthuasust forums, for specific car brands,

    goodluck,

    Yev
    R. T. F. M

    Comment


    • #3
      If it will work on a laptop, it will work on a carputer.
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

      1995 Lexus SC300

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by constantproject
        is it possible to do laptop type engine tuning on these? the only full car systems iv heard of is drive soft and it looks kind of lame but if i can do tuning at the same time that would help
        A carputer is a computer, in a car. Why would you think that something that would run on a laptop would not run on a desktop (assuming you are using a desktop type system in your car, instead of a laptop)? A computer is a computer is a computer, no matter where you use it.

        Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Your gonna need a OBD II to Serial adapter which can be found at numerous places

          www.scantool.net seems to have it together

          Then usually a serial usb adapter to your laptop, or just go straight serial to ur laptop if it has a serial connector..


          Then get some software to run on the pc, some bundled, some freeware...


          As for "tuning" you can view most of your engines sensors, though you do not have the ability to change your ecu's fuel maps or anything..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by felickz
            Your gonna need a OBD II to Serial adapter which can be found at numerous places
            That is not 100 percent correct.

            Most tuning setups DO NOT require an OBD to serial adapter, it depends on the car, and the tuning program.

            While there are programs that use OBD to change engine parameters, and many that connect the computer to the ecu through the OBD connector, a generic OBD adapter will not cut it. Several tuning programs actually connect to the ECU with a serial modem cable, of course those are aftermarket ECU or Piggy backs.

            There is a lot more then just OBD when it comes to engine tuning, and the OP didn't specify. Certainly, generic OBD software isn't gonna be able to tune an engine.


            Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree with Wiredwrx...
              Tuning your car using a computer is very car specific.
              For example, in order to have 100% control over my car, I'd have to inverst roughly $600 in DSMLink.
              Another example: as far as I know, some guy in South Africa is really good at writing software for tuning Impreza WRXs and STIs.

              What's the model of the car you're planning to tune, constantproject?
              For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
              Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
              Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DJiK
                I agree with Wiredwrx...
                Tuning your car using a computer is very car specific.
                For example, in order to have 100% control over my car, I'd have to inverst roughly $600 in DSMLink.
                Another example: as far as I know, some guy in South Africa is really good at writing software for tuning Impreza WRXs and STIs.

                What's the model of the car you're planning to tune, constantproject?
                The guy in SA is Calvin of Tari Racing Software. And, yes, he is doing some very nice things for Subarus. His software ecuExplorer can do logging now and will eventually be able to flash the ecu with tuned maps. This doesn't work with a normal OBD cable however. The software uses the SSM protocol, not OBDII, and the flashing requires a special cable.
                *******************************
                *******************************

                Comment

                Working...
                X