Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarPC for the "Race Car"

It's time for another winter project.
    I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and run HP Tuner PCM editing software on my laptop. For those interested, this software allows me to change nearly every table in my engine and transmission management PCM.

I would like to drop the laptop and integrate this capability into a "basic" car computer. By basic I mean, I don't need it to play DVD's act as an entertainment center or talk to me on long trips to the track . I just need it to run my software to edit the PCM and scan my car.

I am a little unsure how basic I can go, (processor speed, RAM, power supply voltage need etc?) I have been looking at some of the lower VIA EPIA mainboards (533, 800) and m1-atx power supply. I plan on putting the board somewhere under the dash or in the center console.

My main needs that I can see are....
    Mainboard, power supply and OS with,
    Serial Port for my PCM cable
    Wireless (B is all I need)
    2.5" low GB HD ( doubt I will need even 5GB but will I find one that small?)
    Slim CD-rom maybe with R
    Wireless Keyboard and 7" touchscreen

Any suggestions on hardware or anything else is greatly appreciated.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7/GOCGPsig.jpg
    1998 Daytona GTP
    12.755 @ 108.45mph
    GenV 3.0, Ls1 TB, S1x, 1.7rr, Togs, INTENSE Trans 3.29s 3250ati

I have a megasquirt, and I use my carPC for tuning.

Usually if the PC can run software, it doesnt have to be fast.

Id get the fastest you can get, only because after buying an EPIA m9000, I hoped for more than I got.
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Thanks
      Here are recommended system requirements for HP Tuner.
      Recommended

650 MHz CPU
      128 Mb RAM
      Microsoft Windows® 2000/XP
      Serial Port* (Version 1 Serial Interface Only)
      USB Port (Version 2 USB Interface Only)
      www.hptuners.com

I am leaning towards the m10000 just because the prices are so close between most of the mainboards i've been considering.
      1998 Daytona GTP
      12.755 @ 108.45mph

Comment

hey finally someone else that uses megasquirt!

do you love the megasquirt/carpc combo as much as I do?

Comment

I LOVE THE PHRASE "MEGASQUIRT"! OOOHH!

But really what is "megasquirt" and what will it do?

Comment

But really what is "megasquirt" and what will it do?
            http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
            1998 Daytona GTP
            12.755 @ 108.45mph

Comment

Originally posted by dayday
              Thanks
              Here are recommended system requirements for HP Tuner.
              Recommended

650 MHz CPU
              128 Mb RAM
              Microsoft Windows® 2000/XP
              Serial Port* (Version 1 Serial Interface Only)
              USB Port (Version 2 USB Interface Only)
              www.hptuners.com

I am leaning towards the m10000 just because the prices are so close between most of the mainboards i've been considering.

Why don't you try and find a cheap desktop with those specs, or a cheap laptop with those specs.

Those specs really aren't that high.

You talk about the Epia, and of course, they will do the trick quite well, but if ALL you want to do is engine tuning, then get the cheapest you can find.

You can get a complete Laptop with those specs for less then the Epia MB, then all you need is a 30 dollar Dc-DC laptop power supply, a screen (which you need no matter what) and a couple minutes with a soldering iron.

Of course, desktop systems with those specs, complete with HD, CD,Sound, Video, and a DC-DC like an Opus 90 will probably be about the same price as the epia MB as well.

And, not to knock you, but a front wheel drive race car?

Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

And, not to knock you, but a front wheel drive race car?
                I guess "Track Car" would fit it better since I still drive it everyday.

There are plenty of fast FWD cars out now-a-days. The FWD platform is a fun challenge at the track and not to many people expect the "Grocery Getter" Grand Prix to click off a mid 12 sec timeslip. My goal for next year is 11.99 with race gas and slicks i'm at 12.7 now with street tires. Here is a list of our top cars, http://www.3800pro.com/lists/fwdquarter.html
                1998 Daytona GTP
                12.755 @ 108.45mph

Comment

Originally posted by dayday
                  Thanks for the suggestions.

There are plenty of fast FWD cars out now-a-days. The FWD platform is a fun challenge at the track and not to many people expect the "Grocery Getter" Grand Prix to click off a mid 12 sec timeslip. My goal for next year is 11.99 with race gas and slicks i'm at 12.7 now with street tires. Here is a list of our top cars, http://www.3800pro.com/lists/fwdquarter.html

Sorry, I thought you meant "real" racing, you know the kind with both left and right turns, and accelerating and braking.

I guess for drag strip use front wheel drive is fine.

Michael
                  ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                    Sorry, I thought you meant "real" racing, you know the kind with both left and right turns, and accelerating and braking.

Michael

haha a bit hard to apex a drag strip... if this car is your daily driver (i assume you have a stereo).. maybe going a little farther out with the pc and using it as a replacement for your car stereo as well could save a few pounds, i understand how important weight is (my car would be a slug with anything short of the 250hp/250trq it has... even as 3300lbs)

Comment

Originally posted by SubaruSTi
                      (my car would be a slug with anything short of the 250hp/250trq it has... even as 3300lbs)
                      Wait, doens't your car have 300hp/300trq?
                      Or is this some non-US spec or earlier-year STi?
                      For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
                      Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
                      Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

I traded my STi in for a legacy gt last year. Now only the smart ricers and cops bug me.

Comment

Originally posted by SubaruSTi
                          I traded my STi in for a legacy gt last year. Now only the smart ricers and cops bug me.
                          hmm, smart ricer? isnt that an oxymoron?
                          PC Components:
                          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                          My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx

Michael
                            If you think drag racing is not real racing, try it sometime. I'll bet you will find that there is a lot more to it than you think.

Looks like this will be a cool install.
                            Is this where the witty comment goes?
                            97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

1 Option
                              I found a good deal on a non-touchscreen and also on a cirque touchpad mouse. I think this will work well for me since I will only need a keyboard at the track or garage for editing and I can put the mouse pad where my hand sits naturally in front of the arm rest. I'll just add a mini keyboard and keep it under the seat for when I do my PCM editing.

2 Option
                              Touchscreen and Keyboard

Not completely decided yet which route I will go. Alot will depend on what I come across in classifieds and Ebay. I'm "trying" to keep this part <$200
                              1998 Daytona GTP
                              12.755 @ 108.45mph

Comment

Working...
                              X