Hi everybody, new to OBDII, need some help with my adaptor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everybody, new to OBDII, need some help with my adaptor

I currently have an ELM323 with an RS232 connector for my laptop, My car is a honda civic 2000 4dr with an OBDII plug. Problem is, its unable to connect. Right now I'm using OBD-II ScanMaster Freeware, and it posts the following after a connection attempt

Port: Com1 Ready
    Chip reset: error
    Interface is not responding

And thats it, I've looked through the device manager and i've set the communications port settings to, Bits per second 19,200, Data bits 8. Parity: None, Stop bits 1, Flow control none. The Communications port is supposted to be the RS232 connector right? Or maybe I'm wrong, never had to really use a serial plug before until now, I've got it set to Com1 in bios, device manager, and the Scanmaster program.

Can anybody please help me out here? Anything to help me get this thing connecting would be greatly appricated. Maybe theres still some serial settings I simply dont know about.

Thanks in advance

John

Originally posted by Zabouskie
    I currently have an ELM323 with an RS232 connector for my laptop, My car is a honda civic 2000 4dr with an OBDII plug. Problem is, its unable to connect. Right now I'm using OBD-II ScanMaster Freeware, and it posts the following after a connection attempt

Port: Com1 Ready
    Chip reset: error
    Interface is not responding

And thats it, I've looked through the device manager and i've set the communications port settings to, Bits per second 19,200, Data bits 8. Parity: None, Stop bits 1, Flow control none. The Communications port is supposted to be the RS232 connector right? Or maybe I'm wrong, never had to really use a serial plug before until now, I've got it set to Com1 in bios, device manager, and the Scanmaster program.

Can anybody please help me out here? Anything to help me get this thing connecting would be greatly appricated. Maybe theres still some serial settings I simply dont know about.

Thanks in advance

John
    Are you 100% sure that interface is working?

Do you see diods blinking when you try to reset interface?

Comment

I'm not really sure if the interface is working or not. The LEDS on the adaptor are solid red, no flashing or different colors displayed at all.

Should I try another program? I'm at a dead end at this very moment.

Comment

I'm not really sure if the interface is working or not. The LEDS on the adaptor are solid red, no flashing or different colors displayed at all.

Should I try another program? I'm at a dead end at this very moment.
        do you have leds blinking when you connect power to interface?

if I remember leds should blink one or two times each, and that means that elm has finished with self test and after that two leds should be powered, one red and one green

when you have comunication with interface other leds are blinking, one for tx one for rx

Comment

My adaptor has two leds, one labled L, and the other labled K. Both are red the entire time, they dont flash or display another color, solid red 100% of the time.

Heres the same one I have

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELM32...spagenameZWDVW

I hope I dont have a dud adaptor :/

Comment

My adaptor has two leds, one labled L, and the other labled K. Both are red the entire time, they dont flash or display another color, solid red 100% of the time.

Heres the same one I have

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELM32...spagenameZWDVW

I hope I dont have a dud adaptor :/
            I bought one from scantool and made 2 of my own with elm323

you can download scheme from scantool and try to make your own

main component elm chip you already have

Comment

OMG, I just opened this thing up and there appears to be no ELM323 chip in it!! Looks like an empty slot, that must be why this thing isn't working correctly.

So where should I go to order one? I assume Scantool.net would be the best place to start off.

Thank you for trying to help, really appricate it, I should of opened this thing up a long time ago *hits head*.

Anything else you recommend I do?

Comment

OMG, I just opened this thing up and there appears to be no ELM323 chip in it!! Looks like an empty slot, that must be why this thing isn't working correctly.

So where should I go to order one? I assume Scantool.net would be the best place to start off.

Thank you for trying to help, really appricate it, I should of opened this thing up a long time ago *hits head*.

Anything else you recommend I do?
                Lol, :-)

Please check if the chip on right side of connector is elm chip, because you have two kinds of same chip.
                One is done with smb technology, that could be the one that is allready soldered.
                The second one is like one that is missing, so first check if the biggest soldered component is elm323sm chip, and if not you can order it from Scantool:

ELM323 chip

ELM323 v2.0
                ISO (OBD-II) Interpreter Chip
                $17.95

Try first to contact guy on ebay from which you have bought your interface. Maybe you can resolve problem with him first and if that fails then order 323 chip from Scantool.

Difference in price between Scantool and ELM Electronics is 0.45$

Glad that I could help

Comment

theres just one major problem with contacting the guy on ebay about it. I bought it many months ago, but never got around to using, way past the warranty or return policy now. I busy doing other things and the adaptor just sat around until recently when I decided to hook it up, thats when I found it not working.

I've ordered the ELM chip, its a 323 Version 2. I made sure with the site and the board I was looking at.

Ok so I should be in buisness when this little chip shows up, then i'll give it another try, cant see why it wouldn't work next time once its installed.

Thank you again for the help

I feel dumb

John

Comment

Working...
                  X