No announcement yet.

How long is the OBDDiagnostic's cable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is the OBDDiagnostic's cable?

What the topic says, how long is that cable?
    Jim
    2012 Honda Pilot (In Progress)
    2010 Honda Accord (After the Pilot)
    2008 Honda VTX1800N

i would GUESS 4 feet. Its enough to reach from the connector in the drivers side kick panel back to undernear the rear bench in my 01 altima.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I dont know if you're asking about a specific vendor's cable, or in general. If it's a specific vendor just email their technical support.

In general -- Section 6.4 (page 9) of standard SAE J2534-1 defines the maximum cable length between PassThru device and vehicle as five meters. In reality, some vehicles or low-quality interfaces may require a much shorter cable.

Comment

Six feet is typical. Many vendors supply one like this with their hardware:
        OBD II Cable

High quality 6-foot (1.8 meters) OBDII Cable Type C (J1962 to DB9F), with molded connectors and strain relief. Works with all of our OBD-II interfaces, as well as interfaces made by other scan tool manufacturers such as AutoTap.

That gets you from the car's port to the interface. Then you use a serial cable to get from the interface to the PC. RS232 spec usually allows up to 50 feet without any special stuff.

Next time put a little more thought into the question you ask and you will likely get better answers.
        ~Jimmy

Comment

Working...
        X