obd-ii y-cable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obd-ii y-cable?

does anyone know if there is an obd-ii y-cable available? I have to plug two things into my obd-ii plug and I dont want to have to constantly switch them out.

the two pieces that need to be plugged in are a scan tool and a window valet (adds certain functions that didnt come with the car)

thanks
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

See http://www.drewtech.com/products/cables.html for a dual J1962 breakout box. If that's too bulky you may need to buy the connectors and hack together a wiring harness yourself.

In some situations the network will freak out when two modules think that they have the same address. Hopefully the window valet and scantool play together nicely.

Comment

wow...thats kind of expensive! I ended up asking 'top down tech' the maker of the window valet and they are going to make me a piggy back module. i'll have to splice in the power and required data lines but it should all work. if they dont play nice i'll just have a relay switch between the two when the computer is off. thanks for the suggestions though
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Yeah the breakout box gets pricey because there's a ton of wiring for the 16 banana jacks, two female connectors, and one male connector. The one I suggested is more useful as an engineering tool so you can "sniff" the bus and reverse engineer the commands. If you can get the piggybox box for $25, go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
          wow...thats kind of expensive! I ended up asking 'top down tech' the maker of the window valet and they are going to make me a piggy back module for $25. i'll have to splice in the power and required data lines but it should all work. if they dont play nice i'll just have a relay switch between the two when the computer is off. thanks for the suggestions though
          Scott,
          I need this as well! The window valet is the only reason I have not hooked up a OBD-II scanner to my carpc. Who did you talk too? Did they say it would work without any issues?

Thanks,
          Rick

Comment

hey rick,

i just sent an email to thier general email alias that was on thier contact page.
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
              hey rick,

i just sent an email to thier general email alias that was on thier contact page.
              Thanks! I will contact them.

By the way have you tried the Accessory valet they sell for RAP to your CarPC setup? It would be sweet to turn the PC on and off via keyfob, or leave it running until the door is opened after shutting the car off..

Comment

Sorry to be resurrecting an old thread; just thought I'd mention that you can buy an OBD-II Y cable here:

http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...cable-1ft.html

OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Working...
                X