MPG Computer for 94 GM ALDL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG Computer for 94 GM ALDL

I suppose there are no miles per gallon software for obd1? I found one for eec-vi ford but they want $500.
    My Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/signalsweepers
    My Web Page http://www.geocities.com/maltshopmemories/
    My Webshots http://community.webshots.com/user/signalsweeper

nope
    Core duo
    1tb harddrive
    256 ddr
    8 lilliput
    bu-353

still installing...

Comment

I'm not sure how an OBD1 computer could do it, they don't really know how much fuel they are using. Some might be able to do it...but there lies the issue, there was no standard back then so it would need to be made just for that PCM.

Comment

If your car is General Motors, the ECM makes "injector on time" available over the serial data line. If you can somehow tap into this and read it, you can calculate fuel used. I don't know for sure, but I believe that people have hacked into the signals sent over the serial line for GM cars.

The parameter is called "injector on time" and it tells you how long, in milliseconds, the computer is turning on the injectors. Each injector is rated in pounds per hour of fuel used. This gives you the info to calculate the amount of fuel being burned by the engine. It should be very accurate!
        Webmaster, www.StarshipBuilder.com www.AirshipModeler.com

Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1
        Now available from www.ModelersNotebook.com

Comment

Originally posted by star-art View Post
          If your car is General Motors, the ECM makes "injector on time" available over the serial data line. If you can somehow tap into this and read it, you can calculate fuel used. I don't know for sure, but I believe that people have hacked into the signals sent over the serial line for GM cars.

The parameter is called "injector on time" and it tells you how long, in milliseconds, the computer is turning on the injectors. Each injector is rated in pounds per hour of fuel used. This gives you the info to calculate the amount of fuel being burned by the engine. It should be very accurate!
          That would require home made software over a ADL cable.

I'll ask around on the fbody boards, if it can be done on a fbody good chance you can do it on other GM cars as well.

Comment

eh i got HomeMade software for ALDL cable.

if you could tell me what byte it is should be no problem.
            Core duo
            1tb harddrive
            256 ddr
            8 lilliput
            bu-353

still installing...

Comment

Sorry, I have no idea. I just know the ECM reports the data, but I don't have any other specifics as to exactly how. . .
              Webmaster, www.StarshipBuilder.com www.AirshipModeler.com

Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1
              Now available from www.ModelersNotebook.com

Comment

See if your car is supported by TTS Datamaster, load it up and take a look at the injector duty cycles, that might get you started on figuring it out.

Comment

In base my design foy my camaro ODB1 on this winner project on the circuit cellar website.

http://www.circuitcellar.com/avr2004...05abstract.pdf

You can read the full description on :

http://www.circuitcellar.com/adverti...ghtner-183.pdf

Comment

check out DIY-EFI

As for MPG, why not use a 94 era DIC? I had a 94 grand prix sedan that had a DIC and calculated MPG, range, etc etc. I do not have the DIC anymore, but I'm sure you could find one on ebay or junkyard for ~$20
                    2003 supercharged cop car - dual core Atom, Xenarc 705TSV, ampie +M2-ATX - done

Comment

my 95 C4 corvette had the display. as did my brother and his wifes C4's. i believe it was a late 80's early 90's cutlass with the FE3 computer system that would also tell you this info. i am looking heavily into this as i want a mpg display for my 87 fiero gt.

ha!, a two year bump :P

Comment

This has seemed to be fairly accuarate:

MPH / (RPM * Inj Pulse Width * Inj Constant * 0.000212)

Inj Constant is the rating of your injectors in lbs/hr
                        The pulse width can be retrieved via most GM ALDL interfaces, same with mph and rpm.

You HAVE to average this over say, 2-3 minutes because it jumps around alot depending on if you have the car floored or no throttle at all.

This is only valid for a car with 8 injectors, and I believe only for batch fire cars as that would change the 0.0000212 constant otherwise.
                        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                        RevFE
                        My Shop

Comment

hmm, sounds hard to figure out for a v6. especially in my case. i have a 87 fiero gt with the 06 malibu 3500 and the 122730 ecm conversion from a 88 beretta. so digging up all the correct info will be very tough.

Comment

Old thread but I was searching around...........
                            EBL Flash from DYNAMICEFI.COM will do this for you. I use it for my TBI Caprice and I highly recommend it.

I also have a GranPrix center console and DIC I could sell. I pulled it out a while back to install a Riviera console. I think the DIC calculates MPG based on the VSS signal and the float level in the tank but don't quote me At the very least it has a cool rotating compass!
                            Russ
                            '93 Caprice Classic "Woody"
                            SP13000
                            TM-868
                            Roadrider
                            XM PCR, Usb Radio, WIFI, GPS, PCTV HD and 3G via tether

Comment

Working...
                            X