Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond OBD-II and OEM ECU

Alright so heres my deal.

As many know i have my so loved 1987 Toyota Camry. Also many know im planning a HUGE re build of the car. One step of which i plan to swap my engine and trans and hopefully if all goes well turbocharge it.

With this i would need to replace my ECU (at the very least with a compatible one from another toyota....)

What I would like to do is put in a custom ECU (with ignition, spark, injection control etc...)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at....
    Also what would be a good place to learn all about injection timing and spark timing and such....?

I was looking at the MegaSquirt but it seems to be limited just to injection timing. So i wont be able to mangage the cooling system or ignition timing. And what about transmission? I know my old camry has a separate computer for that.... is that needed with a manual?

Another big thing is obviously PC communication, I want to be able to get as much information about my engine as possible.

Obviously i need to look much deeper into this... but i thought i would throw it out there so if anyone else has better experience it would be much appreciated.
    Brown 2010

Alright well no one straight up seems to know or is willing to share anything about aftermarket ECU's so i have been doing an inordinate ammount of searching reading and more....and well this is what i came up with:

I have found 4 companies that make good aftermarket ECU's

3 of which are manufactured for you:
    Haltech - http://www.haltech.com
    Motec - http://www.motec.com
    Autronic - http://www.autronic.com

1 of which is "open source"
    MegaSquirt - http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

I was attacted to the MegaSquirt because of the DIY nature of it but it is very limited it seems and gives you hardly any help in programming.

I leaning toward an Autronic System because of its AutoTune feature. Although I want to have full control over tuning and will have therefore to learn a great deal about ignition and injection timing etc. This will give me a good basis to begin off of.

I also like the Motec systems because they have VERY detailed instructions.

Haltech has very advanced systems but seems to be very - get someone to do it for you. and thats a turn off for me.

This maybe the single most expenisve part in my whole set up so i want to pick it right.

Note that all have a computer interface and provide software (either through serial (RS232), Parallel (aka CAN) and USB (usually converted from one of the first two)

I have found that trying to install an OBD-II system and then get a converter for the computer would be kind of pointless and MUCH more expensive. I have also found that getting your hands on an unprogrammed OBD-II system is virtually impossible.

So thats what i know so far. Ill up date everyone as i learn more.
    Brown 2010

Comment

simple question !

Answer:
      MegaSquirt !

As time passes it will evolve more and more !
      If the "origin" leaves or goes bancrupty then another one will continue (and is able to do it!) Megasquirt !

Megasquirt is limited to injection ???
      I don't think so ! There is a Igintion controller and with the new version it is included I think ?!

Comment

Originally posted by FMode View Post
        simple question !

Answer:
        MegaSquirt !

As time passes it will evolve more and more !
        If the "origin" leaves or goes bancrupty then another one will continue (and is able to do it!) Megasquirt !

Megasquirt is limited to injection ???
        I don't think so ! There is a Igintion controller and with the new version it is included I think ?!
        Really? Im gunna have to look deeper into this now....

Does it have Aux inputs and outputs say for AC control and Oil temp? Well looks like im up for more searching!
        Brown 2010

Comment

MegaSquirt II PCB v3 I think is the way im going to go...

It is much more versitile than i had realized prior....
          There is an option for a ignition controller.... and the price is INCREDIBLY cheaper. If bought assembled its $410 for the MSII v3 PCB and if i make it myself (which i probably will) it would only be $256 which is much more reasonable than a $3,000 system from another company......
          Brown 2010

Comment

If you go with an aftermarket ECU, you're going to lose OBD functionality, which means you won't be able to pass emissions inspection in RI. Food for thought. I was reading up in the UltraMegaSquirt OBD section and it should be possible to add in OBD compatibility, so you might be able to pass emissions.

EDIT: I just realized that you're have a 1987, not 1997 lol. I take it they put your car on the sniffer then?

Comment

Yep "sniffer" all the way... Great thing about having a pre 1996 car. No OBDII and therefore almost zero engine mod restrictions.. if done right.

Im also really from NJ (and is also where the car is registered) either way though its tested without OBD
              Brown 2010

Comment

Working...
              X