Audi A4 speed output signal!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi A4 speed output signal!

i have a 2001 audi a4 that im putting nav in. im using an avg-vdp1. im having trouble locating the speeomoter output signal or some kinda speed detection circuit, preferabbly behind the radio as oppose to the dash but either would work. any help?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure all the information like that comes from the computer. I wouldn't think there is a specific speed output lead or anything except for the one that feeds into the computer itself. Have you made any connections to the cars computer bus (CAN bus/OBDII connector)? or is that what you mean by the speed detection circuit?
    -----
    2006 Audi A4 S-Line. 70% Complete.
    My Worklog

Comment

I read somewhere the g35 has such a dedicated output. Newer Audi's might also but not sure about a 2001 though.
      99' V6 Solara SE.
      '05 CBR600RR
      Baltimore MD.
      Shuttle XPC| 512MB | 120GB 3.5" Seagate
      Opus 150W PS | Rikaline 6010 GPS
      7" Lilliput 619 | Centrafuse | IGuidance 3

Comment

sorry but this post shouldn't be in the FAQ.

Comment

Thread moved to more appropriate forum.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

You would be better off using a simple OBD interface and program to give you a digital dashboard. There is a really bada$$ one for free around here somewhere.
            Max Messinger
            Computer Expert
            Car Newbie

2000 Maxima CarPC Progress: 99%--Basic computer fully installed, full stereo overhaul planned for the future

Comment

obd digital what? hah i dont quite get it, could you elaborate?

Comment

He is referencing a OBDII to SERIAL/USB device. Look in the mp3car.com store at the USB OBDII scan tool.

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=COM%2D039

This would interface with an actual PC not a box like the VDP you are referencing. but might be an alternative solution.

Again though, if you go with an actual PC you can use the speed signal from the GPS as well as this ODBII source.
                -----
                2006 Audi A4 S-Line. 70% Complete.
                My Worklog

Comment

I second a vote for a PC!

Why pay for an overpriced navi system when you can build a better one yourself?
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by reed1099 View Post
                    obd digital what? hah i dont quite get it, could you elaborate?
                    See www.obdpros.com, basically you would get speed data from the OBD II port.

Thanks
                    Paul
                    www.obdpros.com

Comment

try navplus.com its all about the audi nav units

Comment

Pre-CAN Bus Audi's and VW's use what's called the GALA wire for speed sensing on their nav units.

Check out http://www.navplus.us

Comment

There are a couple places you can get speed signals. Off the top of my head I think its the green and white wire but check your bentley before tapping. You can find it 2 places behind the dash. The first place is going to the back of the instrument cluster in your dash.... kind of a pain to get to.

OR, the easier place: One cool VW/audi feature is the speed sensitive wipers. Behind your lower dash once you locate the wiper relay you will also find a VSS line going to it. You can tap that line for your navi unit.

Comment

Dont most GPS units tell you your speed from the satelite? So why would you need to find the speed sensor wire for your vehicle?
                            MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

Originally posted by david69leonard View Post
                              Dont most GPS units tell you your speed from the satelite? So why would you need to find the speed sensor wire for your vehicle?
                              Some use it as a double check. That is how the Prius can tell you how fast you are going even if you are drivng in a tunnel!

Some also use it as a more secure way of knowing if the car is stopped or not to allow you to enter an address and stuff.
                              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                              X