X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD Gauges required for RR

Hey Guys...can anyone help me out.
    I've got my ELM320 working in various OBD software programs...BUT
    I need a nice set of analogue gauges I can embed into a RoadRunner screen.
    Has anyone got anything I can use ? (apart from OBD-DIAG)
    Car : Ford Focus Zetec S 1800cc
    Carpc :Galaxy GT-P1000 Original 7in Tab
    Mounted in "On Dash" Custom Install

I think it's time to integrate OBDII support in RoadRunner. Or write a plugin to it. Then anyone will use custom flash gauges as for GPS speedo and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NiMar View Post
      I think it's time to integrate OBDII support in RoadRunner. Or write a plugin to it. Then anyone will use custom flash gauges as for GPS speedo and etc.
      Perhaps I should be brave and put that to the RR Forum

Comment

Have you seen our DashCommand™ software? It was designed for just this purpose.

Also, the mp3car.com community can use the "mp3car" coupon code to receive a discount from our online store.
        Brian @ Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
        http://www.palmerperformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by PPE View Post
          Have you seen our DashCommand™ software? It was designed for just this purpose.

Also, the mp3car.com community can use the "mp3car" coupon code to receive a discount from our online store.
          Thank You, I'm very greatful for that Info. I'll check out your program asap.

Comment

Originally posted by wizz View Post
            Thank You, I'm very greatful for that Info. I'll check out your program asap.
            Ok, great! If you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to post up and ask me about them. I'd be more than happy to help you get it set up and running.

-Brian

Comment

Ok, great! If you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to post up and ask me about them. I'd be more than happy to help you get it set up and running.

-Brian
              I've installed Dashcommand (registered) on my laptop to test it out and familiarise myself with it. When I hit connect it just sits there saying "connecting" If I touch anything the Dashcommand window goes blank with a "not responding" message in the window title bar.
              Where is the configuration file/screen to confirm com port etc. ??

I have confirmed the correct operation of my ELM320 (V2) by running OBD-DIAG successfully. My 320 is connected by USB, which has been set to com1.

HELP !

Comment

PPE - out of curiousity what did you use to create those gauges? I'm guessing some of the tools from Dundas or Chart FX?

Comment

I've installed Dashcommand (registered) on my laptop to test it out and familiarise myself with it. When I hit connect it just sits there saying "connecting" If I touch anything the Dashcommand window goes blank with a "not responding" message in the window title bar.
                  Where is the configuration file/screen to confirm com port etc. ??

I have confirmed the correct operation of my ELM320 (V2) by running OBD-DIAG successfully. My 320 is connected by USB, which has been set to com1.

HELP !
                  Hi Wizz,

Can you please download the demo version of PCMSCAN and see if it also has trouble connecting. Both applications share the same code for connecting to the OBD-II port, so I'd like to determine if there is a problem there, or somewhere else.

-Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brycestro View Post
                    PPE - out of curiousity what did you use to create those gauges? I'm guessing some of the tools from Dundas or Chart FX?
                    Those gauges are completely custom. They are built using our custom DashXL™ technology. Feel free to download either PCMSCAN™ or DashCommand™ and try out the dashboard editor. You can find the online help for the dashboard editor here: http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashxl/help

-Brian

Comment

Hi Wizz,

Can you please download the demo version of PCMSCAN and see if it also has trouble connecting. Both applications share the same code for connecting to the OBD-II port, so I'd like to determine if there is a problem there, or somewhere else.

-Brian
                      PCMSCAN doesn't work either. I hit connect and it just sits there saying "opening OBD-II connection" , have to Ctl/Alt/Del to get out of the program.
                      If I go to OBD-II settings..the interface is set to ELM...I adjust the Protocol manually to J1850-PWM.
                      BUT...I can't set a Com port because it's greyed out and displays N/A. ????
                      FYI... I ran EasyOBDII both before and after trying to run PCMSCAN, just to make sure the ELM320 was connected and functioning correctly.
                      I also checked the bios version on the 320....if I send it atz it returns ELM320 v2.0.
                      Whats happening ??

Comment

PCMSCAN doesn't work either. I hit connect and it just sits there saying "opening OBD-II connection" , have to Ctl/Alt/Del to get out of the program.
                        If I go to OBD-II settings..the interface is set to ELM...I adjust the Protocol manually to J1850-PWM.
                        BUT...I can't set a Com port because it's greyed out and displays N/A. ????
                        FYI... I ran EasyOBDII both before and after trying to run PCMSCAN, just to make sure the ELM320 was connected and functioning correctly.
                        I also checked the bios version on the 320....if I send it atz it returns ELM320 v2.0.
                        Whats happening ??
                        You don't need to manually set the COM port with our software. It will automatically detect it for you.

You don't have any Bluetooth COM ports on your computer do you? The only time I've seen hangs like this is when the Bluetooth stack is trying to do device discovery and it sometimes takes FOREVER. If you do have Bluetooth COM ports, can you try disabling them in the device manager and let me know if that is the problem?

-Brian

Comment

You don't need to manually set the COM port with our software. It will automatically detect it for you.

You don't have any Bluetooth COM ports on your computer do you? The only time I've seen hangs like this is when the Bluetooth stack is trying to do device discovery and it sometimes takes FOREVER. If you do have Bluetooth COM ports, can you try disabling them in the device manager and let me know if that is the problem?

-Brian
                          Yes, I do have bluetooth on my laptop which I will uninstall. But I also have bluetooth on my carpc which is essential because I use it with Phoco for phone integration.
                          Bit late here in the UK.....I'll let you know how I get on tommorrow.

Comment

Yes, I do have bluetooth on my laptop which I will uninstall. But I also have bluetooth on my carpc which is essential because I use it with Phoco for phone integration.
                            Bit late here in the UK.....I'll let you know how I get on tommorrow.
                            I'm not suggesting that you disable the entire Bluetooth stack. I'm just suggesting that you go into the device manager and disable any unused Bluetooth virtual COM port devices. If the virtual COM port device is in use, then it wouldn't cause this problem anyways. Please let me know how it goes.

-Brian

Comment

I'm not suggesting that you disable the entire Bluetooth stack. I'm just suggesting that you go into the device manager and disable any unused Bluetooth virtual COM port devices. If the virtual COM port device is in use, then it wouldn't cause this problem anyways. Please let me know how it goes.

-Brian
                              I uninstalled the bluetooth on my laptop. This is no big deal because I was only using a bluetooth dongle to link to a BT sat receiver for another project, and the laptop was a testbed for your software, so everything can be restored, if required. Once the BT software was gone DashCommand worked.
                              I then installed it on my carpc, and despite BT being present, it also worked on there too.
                              The only problem I have now (which is not yours !) is my CPU temperature goes through the roof...probably because of the additional ELM device and I had to add a USB hub because I ran out of USB ports.
                              Maybe there is such a thing as a USB to serial connector....I'll have to look on Ebay.
                              Thanks for your help.
                              Wizz

Comment

Working...
                              X