Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ELM327 Wiring issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ELM327 Wiring issue

    Hi Everybody
    Maybe someone can help... as i am sure most are aware there have been issues with the ELM327 USB interfaces. And then with half of my weekend trying to sort out mine... well very nearly hammer time.
    Still I don't give up that easy and thought to look into it a bit more...
    this is what i found , see attached GIF.
    I thought it strange that my cable was not wired to number 4.
    Is this usual, or something i can fix

    Thanks for your help

    Regards
    Critter
    Attached Files

  • #2
    The absence of pin 5 in the car's OBD socket, indicates that it is not OBD-2 compliant. In other words, pin 5 is a prerequisite for OBD-2 compliance.

    Sometimes you may still be able to get information from the vehicle by shorting pins 4 & 5 together. In most cases, it will be very limited and sometimes even incorrect.

    Best regards,

    Vitaliy
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

    You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Vitaliy

      Shorting pins 4 and 5 would achieve different results, dependent on what signaling protocols are in use... would i be correct in this???

      Come Saturday I will still short out 4 and 5 in the van and give it a try, and will post the results... who knows, maybe even information by the scanner, that is not quite correct, may be able to be calibrated within the software. Gotta find me a geek... Haaa

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by critternz View Post
        Hi Vitaliy

        Shorting pins 4 and 5 would achieve different results, dependent on what signaling protocols are in use... would i be correct in this???

        Come Saturday I will still short out 4 and 5 in the van and give it a try, and will post the results... who knows, maybe even information by the scanner, that is not quite correct, may be able to be calibrated within the software. Gotta find me a geek... Haaa
        Critter,

        In an OBD-2 vehicle, pins 4 and 5 are always Signal and Chassis, respectively. The protocol in use is irrelevant.

        In a non-OBD-2 vehicle, shorting the pins together may cause the driver's seat to eject, or activate the vehicle's self-destruct system.

        Vitaliy
        OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
        Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

        You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Vitaliy

          Hmmm, Maybe "shorting pins 4 and 5" is not the correct phraseology. The van has pin 4, the scanner has pin 5... what i meant was, is to wire in a new pin 5 into the van socket using the same "signal" as pin 4...
          Still if this does activate the self destruct, the only person to be happy will be the missus, saves her the effort in killing me or the funeral costs later...

          Another thought... If my van doesn't support OBDii, do you know what it actually is???

          Anyways, thanks for your help, will keep you posted on the results... if I still live

          Regards
          Critter

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by critternz View Post
            Hi Vitaliy

            Hmmm, Maybe "shorting pins 4 and 5" is not the correct phraseology. The van has pin 4, the scanner has pin 5... what i meant was, is to wire in a new pin 5 into the van socket using the same "signal" as pin 4...
            Still if this does activate the self destruct, the only person to be happy will be the missus, saves her the effort in killing me or the funeral costs later...

            Another thought... If my van doesn't support OBDii, do you know what it actually is???

            Anyways, thanks for your help, will keep you posted on the results... if I still live

            Regards
            Critter
            If you were using ElmScan 5, you could simply install a jumper on the circuit board that connects DLC pin 4 to DLC pin 5. In your case, considering that the cable itself is missing pin 4, your best bet is to do what you said (or just move pin 4 over to position 5).

            Based on the pinout, it could be CAN (6 & 14) or ISO (7). However, that may not help you at all, because usually the protocol is totally incompatible.

            What is the year, make, and model of your van?

            Vitaliy

            PS Sorry to hear about the sad state of your marital affairs.
            OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
            Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

            You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Vitaliy

              The van specs are;
              Year, 2000
              Make, Toyota
              Model, Estima (L) Aeras
              Chassis, MCR-30
              Engine, 1MZ-FE, (3.0L)

              my marital affairs are OK as long as she gets her own way, (a common affliction) and i don't wreck 'her' van, still like to take the p out of her tho.... angry Maoris

              Cheers
              Critter

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi Vitality,

                Well, I moved pin 4 to pin 5 as earlier discussed, however with no joy... very sad...
                Still, in working on the plug I noticed that some wiring had been tampered with, in the same loom as the OBD plug, to affect the installation of some dodgy alarm, and to date i don't know what the alarm is for, it is certainly not security... and it doesn't help that i can't speak or read japanese.
                So my next step will be to get a fine day, mum to sleep in, and I will rip the dash apart to track and trace the wires back to the on-board computer.
                And people are wondering why i am going grey.........

                Failing this, would it be true to say that the #5 plug, being the signal earth, would show such on an oscilloscope? or even a volt meter?

                Kindest Regards
                Critter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by critternz View Post
                  Hi Vitality,
                  Failing this, would it be true to say that the #5 plug, being the signal earth, would show such on an oscilloscope? or even a volt meter?
                  When you connect a voltmeter b/w signal ground and battery positive terminal, you should get a reading that is close to the battery voltage.

                  Vitaliy
                  OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                  Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

                  You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Vitality
                    After much pulling van apart, bashing knuckles, beating head against wall etc etc I have figured out that the van is not OBD2... And then after some research I have found that it could be a M-OBD Toyota interface... not designed for the American or European markets.
                    this website- http://www.dtdauto.com/efianswer_e.htm has a little info on this, In saying this I am a little dubious about dealing with a little known company and would like to know your thoughts

                    Kindest regards
                    Critter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by critternz View Post
                      Hi Vitality
                      After much pulling van apart, bashing knuckles, beating head against wall etc etc I have figured out that the van is not OBD2... And then after some research I have found that it could be a M-OBD Toyota interface... not designed for the American or European markets.
                      That's too bad.

                      this website- http://www.dtdauto.com/efianswer_e.htm has a little info on this, In saying this I am a little dubious about dealing with a little known company and would like to know your thoughts
                      They buy ELM327 ICs from us, from time to time. I can't comment on their scan tools, because I've never had a chance to use them, but the company is real, and at one time was even listed as our distributor for Vietnam.

                      Vitaliy
                      OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                      Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

                      You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X