Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OBDLink VS Elmscan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OBDLink VS Elmscan

    I am going to purchase a scanner. The Elmscan seems fine for me. Is there any difference between the 2 besides the newer being update able?

  • #2
    ElmScan is cheaper.

    Besides being upgradeable, OBDLink:

    - Connects more reliably to some vehicles
    - Generally allows for faster refresh rates
    - Has an enhanced command set, which allows third party access to certain modules not normally accessible by ElmScan 5 (this will matter to you if you plan to buy ScanXL at some point)
    - Can be purchased a Class 1 Bluetooth option (330 ft LOS range)

    If you plan to leave OBDLink connected to the vehicle, I would wait a couple of weeks for OBDLink 2.x which has the power save option. The upcoming firmware update works on the earlier revisions too, but it only goes down to 30 mA versus 1 mA (from the normal 100 mA).

    Best regards,

    Vitaliy
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

    You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh really. I just brought a obdlink through the web and am not aware of a new version being out soon. do you know if i can get a replacement with a 2.x hardware?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mcpc View Post
        Oh really. I just brought a obdlink through the web and am not aware of a new version being out soon. do you know if i can get a replacement with a 2.x hardware?
        Sure. I don't have the details yet, but we will have a trade-in program that will let you upgrade to 2.x once it comes out.

        Vitaliy
        OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
        Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

        You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

        Comment


        • #5
          So it will include those brought from the distributors like palmer performance?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mcpc View Post
            So it will include those brought from the distributors like palmer performance?
            Correct.
            OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
            Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

            You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vitaliy View Post
              ElmScan is cheaper.

              Besides being upgradeable, OBDLink:

              - Connects more reliably to some vehicles
              - Generally allows for faster refresh rates
              - Has an enhanced command set, which allows third party access to certain modules not normally accessible by ElmScan 5 (this will matter to you if you plan to buy ScanXL at some point)
              - Can be purchased a Class 1 Bluetooth option (330 ft LOS range)

              If you plan to leave OBDLink connected to the vehicle, I would wait a couple of weeks for OBDLink 2.x which has the power save option. The upcoming firmware update works on the earlier revisions too, but it only goes down to 30 mA versus 1 mA (from the normal 100 mA).

              Best regards,

              Vitaliy
              Yes lol that was the main reason i was looking at the elmscan. But due to reliability and the command set for other programs i think the obdlink might be better as the less hassle for me is the price i am willing to pay.

              Will the obdlink be dropping in price when the new version comes out? BT and power save do not matter to me. If i can find the obdlink for about $70 that will be perfect for me.

              Comment


              • #8
                We are considering building a "bare-bones" version of OBDLink, but it's at least a few months away.
                OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

                You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bought the unit and using it now. Thanks for the assistance with selection.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you for the order. How do you like it?
                    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

                    You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Works well so far. Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Vitaliy View Post
                        ElmScan is cheaper.

                        Besides being upgradeable, OBDLink:

                        - Connects more reliably to some vehicles
                        - Generally allows for faster refresh rates
                        - Has an enhanced command set, which allows third party access to certain modules not normally accessible by ElmScan 5 (this will matter to you if you plan to buy ScanXL at some point)
                        - Can be purchased a Class 1 Bluetooth option (330 ft LOS range)

                        If you plan to leave OBDLink connected to the vehicle, I would wait a couple of weeks for OBDLink 2.x which has the power save option. The upcoming firmware update works on the earlier revisions too, but it only goes down to 30 mA versus 1 mA (from the normal 100 mA).

                        Best regards,

                        Vitaliy
                        Is the OBDLink sold at mp3car.com now version 2.x (with power save option)? Is it power saving by default or needs to be set (by software?) to save power? Thanks!
                        PriiDash(TM) open source software
                        Enhanced Instrument Panel and Data Logger

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 2009Prius View Post
                          Is the OBDLink sold at mp3car.com now version 2.x (with power save option)? Is it power saving by default or needs to be set (by software?) to save power? Thanks!
                          Yes I'm curious too I'm on the verge of buying obdlink but would like to buy 2.0 - is it available yet?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OBDLink 2.x has been out for months. PowerSave is off by default, you must turn them on in software if you want to take advantage of the functionality.

                            In a few days there will be a firmware update that adds wake up on voltage threshold and voltage change.
                            OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                            Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

                            You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Vitaliy View Post
                              In a few days there will be a firmware update that adds wake up on voltage threshold and voltage change.
                              That should be nice. I think I may be cutting it kinda close of late with the sub-zero temps and it being powered all night battery wise. This will be where to find it once released, no?
                              2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
                              Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X