Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar OBDKey

Hello everyone,

Here is a tool that hardly anyone OBDKey is talking about. Is it any good it cost more than OBDLink but that does not make any better without proved info, some reported that it works on fiat ecu models as other/similar fail to do so.

So could anyone provide any information regarding this OBDKey compared to OBDLink.

Thanks guys

Rusty

Sorry, I can't comment on Fiat (though OBDLink works on all EOBD cars), but ScanTool.net does offer a 90-day money back guarantee, and returns are hassle-free.
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    — Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Well I guess I wont know till I buy it and try it! Something I thought I could avoid...

Vitaliy how does OBDLink compare to Vag-Com KKL Interface would be great if you could point out where it lack because from reading a great amount of topics regarding this comparison people tend to suggest to buy both to have maximum compatibility, can you outline a few scenarios where you would need one over the other or vise versa.

Regards.

Rusty

Comment

Rusty, in a nutshell, OBDLink works with all generic OBD-II systems (including EOBD). VAG-COM is a special-purpose tool that only works on VAG cars, but gives you access to more modules and parameters.

Get OBDLink, and if it doesn't do what you want, get the VAG-COM interface.
        OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
        — Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

OBDKey

OBDKey supports all the OBD-II protocols and is supplied with software for Windows, Windows Mobile and Palm. The Bluetooth version works with Android too. The WLAN version works with the iPhone using the Rev and / or Palmer DashCommand. All OBD-II vehicles supported, including CAN bus based systems.

Comment

Originally posted by sinclairvital View Post
            OBDKey supports all the OBD-II protocols and is supplied with software for Windows, Windows Mobile and Palm. The Bluetooth version works with Android too. The WLAN version works with the iPhone using the Rev and / or Palmer DashCommand. All OBD-II vehicles supported, including CAN bus based systems.
            OBDLink supports all OBD-II protocols, including CAN.

OBDLink Bluetooth works with Android and Symbian-based phones.

OBDLink WiFi works with the iPhone, and is compatible with Rev, DashCommand, and FuzzyLuke.

OBDGauge software shipped with OBDKey can be downloaded free from:

http://www.qcontinuum.org/obdgauge/index.htm

OBDLink ships with the exclusive free OBDwiz software.

Vitaliy

Comment

OBDKey supports all OBD-II protocols, including CAN.

OBDKey Bluetooth works with Android and Symbian-based phones. OBDKey Bluetooth works with phones which support Java applications.

OBDKey WiFi works with the iPhone, and is compatible with Rev, DashCommand, and FuzzyLuke. OBDKey WiFi also works with Windows PC (software supplied) and Windows Mobile (software included).

OBDKey ships with the, exclusive to OBDKey, DashView and Windows Smartphone software. OBDKey software is also tested on Windows Mobile 6.x and Windows Mobile 5. The standard OBDGauge software, whilst still working OK, was written for a much earlier version of Windows Pocket PC.

OBDKey ships with the, exclusive to OBDKey, OBDKey Scan for Windows PC (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7).

OBDKey supports the vehicle specific (VAG) KW1281 protocol at 10400 and 9600 baud.

OBDKey supports the vehicle specific Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) protocol.

The OBDKey Bluetooth and USB units measure 62 x 45 x 24 mm.

The OBDKey Bluetooth and OBDKey WLAN unit have *NO* cables nor any electrical or mechanical connections to be made other than the connection to the OBD-II port.

The OBDKey USB unit has a two metre USB cable.

Comment

This seems a fair comparison site from a software developer:

http://www.glmsoftware.com/ScantoolReview.aspx

Comment

It may appear to be fair, but given the fact that the author (Graham McKechny) threw a tantrum after he was banned from the ScanTool.net forum for violating the forum rules, I wouldn't call it objective.

It is also woefully out of date. He lists the price of OBDLink as $149.95. You can buy it from this website, for only $85.

Comment

what is the difference between this and the compact5? besides price

Would either of these be ok to use on say a Subaru released for ADM?

Currently I use a tactrix cable and is nice and fast, but sadly no support on CF for SSM

Thanks
                    New Car PC Build list in progress

Comment

I wonder just who is throwing the tantrum here.

GLM Software’s ELM327 review was written many months before you banned him from your forum as you reported here some time back, so I doubt that you can now claim that as a reason for their review not being fair or objective. Could it be that SinclairVital’s reply here today which blew your OBDLink out of the water is more like the reason for your latest dummy spit?

According to your website, your OBDLink is still listed as $149.95, so it looks like everything is still kosher in the review at GLM Software. Hopefully the OP may read the review and be enlightened.

Kosti, since you are also an Aussie, I’d suggest you contact GLM. I’m sure you will get the real lowdown on these scan tools just like I did when I visited them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosti View Post
                        what is the difference between this and the compact5? besides price

Would either of these be ok to use on say a Subaru released for ADM?

Currently I use a tactrix cable and is nice and fast, but sadly no support on CF for SSM

Thanks
                        As long as the Subary is AOBD compliant, either one should work.

Vitaliy

Comment

Using OBDKey with a Subaru you have the option of using the SSM protocol (used in ADM and pre-OBDII vehicles) and / or OBD-II protocols.

There is an OBDKey supplied application which configures the OBDKey unit as either a standard OBD-II interface or for the Subaru (SSM) mode interface.

Once in the SSM mode, you can then run the Subaru custom applications like EcuExplorer with OBDKey, even over Bluetooth.

You can then run the OBDKey configuration application again and switch the OBDKey unit to "OBD-II" mode before using the usual OBD-II based software programs.

Comment

I can vouch for the OBDKey running in SSM Mode. It's the only Bluetooth dongle I'm aware of that does it. My software ECUTracker (Android port in the works) has SSM support, and works with the OBDKey.

I also have a Scantool device. I dare say it might be the fastest ELM device I've used to date.

I have a bit of a speed comparison of the devices on my website too
                            http://www.mympgtracker.com/ecutrack...ures#supported

You can see that, at least on my 2000 Subaru, the OBDKey in SSM mode smokes ALL AND ANY ELM modules.

Hope that helps a bit!

Comment

Working...
                            X