Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battling summertime heat issues . . .

I haven't installed a carPC, but . . .

. . . my question is basically, how do you cool down your carpc prior to boot when your car has been sitting in the sun for a while. I'd imagine the interior of my car gets north of 50* celsius just sitting in the sun. Then, when power is applied, I'm sure the PSU (Carnetix 2140) will exceed its 60* celsius threshold. So, how do you pre-cool before you get rolling.

tint?
    powered vent fans for windows?

Please let me know what solutions you guys have found. Also, I'm curious how hot your interiors get during the summer.

TIA!!

This isn't much of an issue. Most people either roll down the windows to let the heat out, which cools the interior very quickly, even when it is 'hot' outside or they turn the air conditioning on with similar results.

It takes a few minutes for the psu to heat up over that temperature. Also, if your computer is mounted down low, the temperature differential will be much greater and give you more time.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

moving to the new Environmental Considerations in Mobile Computing section...
      Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
      • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
      • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
      • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
      • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

I had my mobo in the box, in the trunk, hoter temp made me add extra 80mm fan... now i'm all good. Not thta we hit 32C outside but so far no problems wirh performance, so don't worry to much unless you down south or in Australia =)
        Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
        Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
        3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

this is why i never put my carputer in the interior, and always in the trunk. No direct heat and almost always is cooler than the rest of the car.

Comment

oh yes location location location
            im thinking to put pico board behide the monitor in the dash (thats next to engine) that location gets ~30C at winter times, and during summer my black dash gets even hotter so u can fry eggs there, still monitor works fine, will see if mobo will survive that. I think via claims up to 60C environmental operations
            3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

careful temp, even if the mobo survives it. other components may not, ie. HD, add cards, PSU, unless of course you pay for the industrial specs for everything $$$$$CHING$$$$

Comment

if my tropical aquarium fish can live at 15C instead of 32C them electronics should survive too

Comment

organics adapt, electronics do not.

Comment

I keep mine in the trunk with plywood above and below it with the CPU fan and case fan to cool it down. Haven't had a problem in 3 years including the August heat in Atlanta when I was living there.
                    The only issue I had was the touchscreen would be too hot to touch for a few minutes, I'd have to wait for it to cool down or risk burning my fingers.
                    Ampie Case
                    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Install it in the trunk. If you get a low power cpu, like the integrated Via's, then as long as there is adequate fan cooling, summer time heat shouldnt be too big of a problem. HD would probably be the most sensitive component to keep your eye on.

As for tint, I have 5% limo in the back and I dont think it does anything to make it cooler. Also, those solar powered window vent fans are a ripoff, Im pretty sure they do next to nothing at all.

Comment

Also, those solar powered window vent fans
                        what is that?
                        I had 20W solar pannel in the back that was able to feed VIA mobo easy during summer time =)

Comment

I was assuming hartigan was refering to something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SOLAR-POWERED-Pow...3%3A1|294%3A50

There's ads on tv about these all the time.

Comment

TV is that a big box with commercial every 1.5 minute? =)
                            don't know about Canada but i'm not leaving my windows open in Brooklyn. Overall idea is goo but that small fan proba;y wont do any good, if you can get AC to work from solar power then it would be whole different story =)

Comment

Has anyone had their touchscreen fail from heat?
                              My friend has a Xenarc 700tsv here in Florida on top of his dashboard in an untinted car, and one day the touch was gone from his screen .

It kinda scares me since i have the same screen, however I Will have it built into the console where the radio is (was).

Comment

Working...
                              X