Wood case, for Computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood case, for Computer.

Hi all...... i have question...... if i mount my computer on wood case is dangerous? or is ok.

Computer is hot, and wood not is same steel.... i have fear of burn my system.

I had the first version of my carpc was in a wood case, a computer will not get hot enough to light wood on fire. I ditched the wood after I got my new system it was just a pain in the *** to work with. Good luck.
    "Mess with the best, die like the rest."
    Work Log --> Old Car (Totaled)
    Work Log v2 --> New Car (Totaled)
    Work Log v3 --> GMC Suburban K2500 (Engine died)
    Work Log v4.5 --> 05 Toyota Tundra DC SR5

Comment

There are quite a few modded pc's that use timber cases. I'm no expert but I'm guessing that if your CarPC is hot enough to burn wood you may need to consider some additional cooling!!
      Carputer Haiku (thanks Ian Hughes)
      Serious error.
      All shortcuts have disappeared.
      Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Comment

i have seen a few mdf cases. I wouldnt worry about burning. however wood doesnt transmit heat like metal does (wood is a far better insulator). This means you will have to rely more on fans and air cooling.

Comment

Yeah wood's cool to use. My case/backseat is MDF and 2x6 / 2x8... I do have 3 80mm fans to circulate air through the edge of the case/backseat...

Comment

I too used an MDF custom built case for my first. The thing you have to remember is that most of the time, we build these PCs to be as energy efficient as possible. Meaning less heat. Make sure you have adequate ventilation, but I ran a full biostar Micro-ATX, a 7200 WD HDD, an opus 150 and an athlon 2400+ mobile in an MDF box with zero problems for 2 years.
            Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
            Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
            I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
            Please help.

Comment

Thanks all! ok this week i build my mdf custon box, my sistem is:

PIV 2.2Ghz
              Motherboard Dell <------ fast to wake up, and no noisy motherboard
              256RAM
              300Gb Hd
              WinTV PCI TV/Radio Card
              M2ATX

I think put in my custon wood case 3 fans coolers.

Wait me for the pics!...... and tanks all for sugestions

Comment

Actually, I recently decided that for my current project I will use MDF again. Just a tip, if you predrill holes very small, and you get the brass standoffs with the wide threads, you can thread standoffs into the mdf and it will hold strong and true.

Please help.

Comment

Furniture

When I was a kid back in the 60's, almost all televisions and stereos were mounted in consoles. These were basically big beautiful pieces of wood furniture with the electronics housed inside. Nothing new about that idea.
                  ~Jimmy

Comment

I have found that using a good grounded metal chassis, with your components grounded will work much better than wood. Less engine whine, less failed parts, and increased stability of the system itself. I'm not saying wood will not work, but I am saying that metal, particularly aluminum, will work much better.
                    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

What about moisture?

You can use tin foil to line the inside (provided it doesn't short out anything)?

Comment

I have never had any interference problems from wood, such as engine noise.

I wouldn't line anything with tin foil. Why do you think moisture would be a problem?

Please help.

Comment

natural woods suffer from moisture issues more than MDF... things like swelling, warping, cracking... but in 3/4 or even 1/2 MDF, you don't have to worry about humidity. So unless it actually contacts water and starts soaking it up, moisture won't be an issue.

if it does soak up water... it'll be a mess!
                          Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                          Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                          Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Well also, I sincerely hope that your car never reaches 70% to 80% humidity anyway, unless you run a humidifer on an inverter. Your carpets would hold moisture better than most materials, but you don't usually find them wet right? So humidity really isn't an issue. The most you'd get in a car is some fog on the windows.

Please help.

Comment

check out my thread it was all wood....
                              2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Working...
                              X