grand cherokee screen placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grand cherokee screen placement

hey everyone, i'm coming into the final stages of planning. i have a list of parts i want to buy now, just need a screen and the best place to put it. i've decided to scratch a separate cd player, and i would LOVE to put this screen into the stock cd player location. heres a picture of what i have to work with:

it is only a din and a half, but i think i might have a chance to place a 7" lilliput in there with the buttons relocated. the dimensions of the upper dash area (above the vents) is roughly 4.5" H x 10''+ W. now if the measurements in this post (post #10) are acurate, then i think i could fit this in there fairly easily. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...reen+dimension

any ideas? if i can't get it to fit in this location, then i'm forced to use the very bottom of the dash area, which would be kind of inconvienient.
    Are you 2x? Because I want to integrate you from 10 to 13!

i say move the vents to above the console in a pod like thing. Then screen where it should be, front and centre!

M$ Paint!!!

Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

how in the world would i do that lol. i could block the vents all together, but it gets very hot around here in the summer, so keeping the vents in crucial. the top of the dash has no holes or anything to get to those vents, so i'm not sure that would work in my situation.

i think the screen will fit in that radio spot, but i want to make sure those dimensions are accurate and whether or not i'll have any trouble putting it all together.

Comment

You would chop a hole in the top of the dash and route new piping.

Your radio is only 1.5 din. A 7" screen is larger than 2din. No it wont fit. A double din screen (like an Alpine/Kenwood) is 6.5" to give you a reference point.

If they make a double din kit for your car, then yes you could get it to work.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

man, that dash looks like a challenge... I'm thinking I would move the vents to the top of the whole stack, probably replacing them with custom vents to accomidate the rounded top, then move the climate control down a bit, & then put the screen in between them, but this would be major fabrication... depends how ambitious & skilled you are really....

putting the screen down below the shifter will suck, I guess next best thing would be squeezing it in where the head is & maybe loosing half of the vents at that... even that is a bit of fab work but much easier than my first choice

in the future I'd recommend choosing your vehicle around the install, & if the dash is not install friendly pick another car
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

like this would be easiest, you'll still have half the vents at least......
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
              man, that dash looks like a challenge... I'm thinking I would move the vents to the top of the whole stack, probably replacing them with custom vents to accomidate the rounded top, then move the climate control down a bit, & then put the screen in between them, but this would be major fabrication... depends how ambitious & skilled you are really....

putting the screen down below the shifter will suck, I guess next best thing would be squeezing it in where the head is & maybe loosing half of the vents at that... even that is a bit of fab work but much easier than my first choice

in the future I'd recommend choosing your vehicle around the install, & if the dash is not install friendly pick another car
              i was thinking of relocating the climate controls to another spot, and moving the cig plugs too and putting the screen down there. but i really want to put it up top where the radio is.

how hard do you think itd be to relocate the vents? somehow i'd have to design/build something to move the air up to the top where the radio is. and the climate contols. ive seen people relocate climate controls on here, but is there much to it other than resoldering wires to extend?

Comment

before you can make any real plans you gotta take it apart & see where the main airduct is & how it's routed & how the rest of the dash is constructed...

it shouldn't be too dificult to drop the climate control down a bit, I doubt you'd even have to alter the harness even... your climate control is full electric, but even so, extending it can be a lot of work, you've got to solder each connection & there are a few differnt gauge wires that you really should use the same gauge for each... you can drop it quite a bit without extending the harness usually though...

the hardest part really will be fabricating & refinishing the whole center to look right, at least the opening is vertically parallel for the most part, so the climate control can go down to where it really starts to curve without a major problem.. the opening may tapper down & be a little tight as it goes lower, but it doesn't look like it'd be too much, that's the easy part...

you will have to remove everything below it though & either cut it down or rebuild it from scratch... the heated seat switches are easy to deal with... the vents should be doable no matter what, really I think it should be pretty easy to shuffle everything around in the center stack & get everything mounted & routed where you'd want it... that don't look too difficult... the difficult part is finishing it after that...

Comment

It's gonna be difficult if you wanna keep the vents. Your gonna have to give something up from there, wheather it be the vent or the AC controls.

Look at this thread, there are a couple of different installs and specially post 57.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=jeep
                  Installed
                  Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                  512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                  Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                  [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

wow, that's exactly what I was picturing... he moved the vents & climate control down a bit... you can see exactly the "problem areas" I ment, the screen housing itself & the lower area that he has cardboard in

Comment

yeah, i've studied that thread lol. i even pmed that guy a couple months ago i think to ask him about that. thats very doable, its just figuring out how to do it. i'm taking it the a/c controls will not reach down that far, at least i'm not 100% sure. ill have to take it apart tomorrow and see. i'm still confused on how i can move the vents.

Comment

here a pic, its a different model, but I think your's would be similar.

You can see that the vent outlet is fixed, which can be cut off, but I'm not sure if the duct coming to the vent is flexible or not?

Installed
                        Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                        512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                        Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                        [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

maybe if i were to move the vents down, i could use something to extend the vents inside the dash downward to connect it to the vents on the outer part of the dash. metal tubing might be a little tricky, but maybe something else thats a little more flexible and easy to work with, and seal it up to the vent properly so there were no leaks of any sort, it would work just as good as it does now. any ideas?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...8&d=1143843050

Comment

ok i think the a/c controls will reach down an inch or two just like it that other guy's install.

but the air vents, i'm confused on how to go about moving them down a little bit. the vents do clip in in the stock location. i tried doing a search, but i couldn't find anything.

Comment

i just did a n avic z1 in my brothers 2001 grand cherokee. its 7 inch double din unit and i managed to get it to fit. i see no problem in getting a 7 inch to fit with the full vents still there. might take some time and skill but its definitely doable.
                              i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Working...
                              X