Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom LCD instal HELP!!!

hi, this is my first post

Iv been reading alot of the form posts on this site and found it very hepful. however i need some advice/help regarding an install i wish to do.

this is what i currently have:

and this is what i want to do:

Thanks in advance for any adcice
    I obviously want to paint it aswel, how should i do this? any tips and tricks?

Thanks again

Thread moved to fabrication forum as I think you will get the most assistance here.

Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Honestly dude, I don't think you'll even want to attempt this one. I mean, christ, we're a car computer forum and you want to put in a screen and move your steering wheel to the other side of the car???
      JK

Seriously though, I like that setup, the screen up there. I will give my advice, but let me ask a question first. Does the very top part of that bezel come off, like the top 6 inches only, it looks like it might?
      Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
      Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
      I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
      Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by J187 View Post
        Honestly dude, I don't think you'll even want to attempt this one. I mean, christ, we're a car computer forum and you want to put in a screen and move your steering wheel to the other side of the car???
        JK

Seriously though, I like that setup, the screen up there. I will give my advice, but let me ask a question first. Does the very top part of that bezel come off, like the top 6 inches only, it looks like it might?

Just fyi man, that LCD makes it seem like the car is asking to be broken into. Unless you can make it look stock as hell...and secure.

Comment

i'd pretend like you were making a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure. Start by building the frame to hold the monitor in the wood. Then make some pieces that hold your form around the dash and start in with the fabric.

i wonder how the glare will be, but it's a very cool take on screen positioning. It's easy to want to just build a voluminous pod for a screen in which only about 10% of thespace gets used. That looks sleek. Keep us posted on how you do!
          Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
          Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
          Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Ive also got a 206, a Black Gti Rallye one

just a thought, what are you going to do with the standard screen.

the one that displays Outside temp, fuel consumption stats and radio stats ?

Comment

I think someone did a post about something like this. They made a repical out of foam of the 'hump' then they might of fiberglassed it to make a backward copy of what they wanted. Then ...ah nevermind I will try to find the post.

Comment

JK

ha ha, na i dont want to move the stearing wheel to the other side of the car, thats illegal here, everyones stearing must be on the right hand side. im not gona attach it to a compu, just gona hook it up to my JVC front loader(plays dvds).

I will keep everyone in touch as to how it goes

btw, yes that top section can come off

I dont really use the standard screen which is in there(it doesnt work properly)

Tanks everyone for their replies much appreciated!!!

Comment

In that case, if it were me, I'd just pop that top piece off and take the hole console trim off and start with that. I would position the trim bezel of the screen on the base of that little pocket and glue it standing up at the angle I would like. Then, I would use the whole console trim piece to fiberglass it too, that way it can look totally seemless. You can something like tin foil to make a mold for part that will come down and contact the top of your dash. OR if possible, relocate the hazard switch and start you screen more forward and you may not have to extend the fabrication beyond the console at all.

Please help.

Comment

In that case, if it were me, I'd just pop that top piece off and take the hole console trim off and start with that. I would position the trim bezel of the screen on the base of that little pocket and glue it standing up at the angle I would like. Then, I would use the whole console trim piece to fiberglass it too, that way it can look totally seemless. You can something like tin foil to make a mold for part that will come down and contact the top of your dash. OR if possible, relocate the hazard switch and start you screen more forward and you may not have to extend the fabrication beyond the console at all.
                    Thnx for the advice, sounds like a good idea with the whole "I would use the whole console trim piece to fiberglass it too" think im gona go with that idea. with regards to security, is it possible to find a screen which i can "pop" in and out like a front loader with a removable face plate, but in this sense, the screen is the "faceplate"

Comment

see if you can find a docking type connector like they have for laptops and wire your VGA, TS, and B+/GND through it and mold it to the back of the monitor casing with fiberbondowhateverglass, and mold the receiving connector in place with the monitor loaded in, much in the same way people make docks for mac minis. Then you've at least got a robust connector designed for frequent dis/connections

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
                        fiberbondowhateverglass
                        Too bad this isn't scrabble

I like the docking connector idea.

Please help.

Comment

fiberbondowhateverglass on a triple word score for the win!

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
                            see if you can find a docking type connector like they have for laptops and wire your VGA, TS, and B+/GND through it and mold it to the back of the monitor casing with fiberbondowhateverglass, and mold the receiving connector in place with the monitor loaded in, much in the same way people make docks for mac minis. Then you've at least got a robust connector designed for frequent dis/connections
                            THNX! sounds like an awesome idea... but im gona have to do ALOT of research on that... sounds like it could be quite a mission? dont wana sound like a complete idiot... but what exactly does VGA, TS and B+/GND mean? i got a jvc front loader, the KD-DV5101 model to be exact, can what you said be done with this model? where can i find a docking connector like the ones for laptops? sorry about all the questions, but im sort of new to all of this

*EDIT*

Never mind... just googled it all

Comment

no problem! As far as making that connector less of a mission, i'd start by going to Digikey.com and downloading their 64MB PDF catalog. The connector section starts on ~p.22 and i assure you you will find what you're looking for in there. Your power requirements are not that great for a screen alone, but just check the contact ratings and make sure that they will at least handle the mA rating of your screen.

I'm currently searching through there for a 15-pin molex connector i can use to create a speaker harness for my car so i can return it to stock simply by swapping cables rather than going through all this cutting and resoldering and rechecking and recrimping i had to do with my last car. So if i find anything for you, i'll be sure to point you to it.

-update-

look in the digikey catalog for a 36-pin Centronics connector. This is the type of parallel printer connection you used to see (and may still) on older printers. It had big fat pins and a pretty good grab. I think if you put the connectors on the bottom of the screen, and dropped it in from above, then you could easily construct some guide rails for lateral stability and let gravity do the rest. start checking at p.233 in the digikey catalog. 24 AWG wiring will be fine for the signals, but you might either want to use several pins for each B+ and GND to make up for the wire size... or just get a secondary power connector. For that a simple barrel plug like you find at radio shack would be suitable and easy enough to work with.

Comment

Working...
                              X