BIG effin problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG effin problem

So I FINALY got out the original head unit from my '05 Mazda tribute and I immediately grabbed my 7" Lilli and travla c134 case to see how they fit. The lilliput fit just fine, but the case was about 2.5 inches too long and was sticking out pretty bad. I donít know what to do with it now. I have to get this done by the 11th of April, and if I don't I will fail high school. I was thinking about putting it in my old crusted-*** Camry just so I can get a passing grade, but I'm afraid it will look pretty bad over there as well. So what are my options? Is there any way I can modify the case to get it to fit in the dash, or where else can I put it? Do you know if I will have the same problem on my í91 Camry? Thanks in advance.

Vik

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

copy and paste the bunny to help him gain world domination!

You could always mount the case somewhere else, it doesn't need to go in the dash. And only you can determine if things can be modified, take some measurements and see if theres things that can be moved/removed from the vehicle or the case.
    98' Honda CR-V
    http://www.superbluecrv.com

*OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

Comment

well i cant remove anything because behind the stock head unit are the pipes (or whatever you call them) for the heating/ac system. i'll post some pics tomorow.

any more ideas by the way?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

Well if you're dead set on putting in the dash, and you can't modify the vehicle your options with the case are:
        1st remove the handle in the back, see if it helps any, I doubt it though if you're sticking out 2.5"
        2nd is major modification to your nice new case, since the power supply adds to the length, you could remove the power supply from front of the case, move the motherboard forward as well as the back plate and cut off the excess case in the rear. You could then mount the power supply on the top back section of the case, or anywhere else in your dash for that matter that you have room.

I'd strongly suggest mounting in the trunk or under a seat though before you go crazy and hack up your case for an in-dash mount.
        98' Honda CR-V
        http://www.superbluecrv.com

*OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

Comment

Originally posted by mp3Car Store
          It is a one DIN size and a little bit deeper than a normal car stereo. In most vehicles you could fit this case under a seat, in your glove compartment box, or even in a single DIN slot in your dash (check your available depth).
          I am assuming you did no checking whatsoever before you bought the case.

I also fail to see how a school project is to buy a flipout screen and a pre-made case. How is that challenging whatsoever? No molding of any kind, nada.

Anyways, like mezz said, you can put it anywhere you want. Doesn't have to go in the dash. Under the seat if you have a case is ok. Mount it in the trunk like an amp. Open up your dash and find a spot for it hidden back there.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

i wish i went to a high school where you could get a passing grade for installing a carpc....
            Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
            Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
            Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

would be even better if they funded it

2006 Mazda 3
              Behringer DCX-2496
              JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
              JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

haha yeah i know i can put it ANYWHERE i want but i already signed this thing that says it will be an in-dash pc, so yes i am a dumbass. and for me this is a challenge 2k1toaster, because a bigger part of my goal was to work with a computer, not a car, so that makes it OK I already spend about 20 hours messing around with programing and stuff and my required time is 25 hours, so making it look OEM or anything was not realy my goal.
                mezz64, thanks for the tip. i had already removed the handle but i still need about an inch for the VGA connector and the USB, so removing the handle doesnt make much difference. i was thinking about choping the case but im affraid i wont get it done by my deadline because i tend to work terribly slow. i think that i'll just end up putting it in my camry (only a temporary solution) and i wont realy care if it sticks out because the DIN holes are far down and you wont be able to see it much anyway.

vik
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(")

Comment

I think you can get flexible VGA extender cables. Basically they don't stick out very far. And USB, well you can get 90 degree connectors for those. That should save you the other inch.

And is this for a computer competancy class or something? Because if it is, then good job. My first computer I built I referred to a great article by "The VEED" in PCWorld 1997 I think. I followed the pictures and figured it out from there. I remember those times, but I try to forget them!
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

wel... if it has to be in dash, does it have to be behind the screen, or is there anywhere else you can put it, such as behind or under the glovebox, yet still under coverings

2006 Mazda 3
                    Behringer DCX-2496
                    JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                    JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

These right angle VGA cables should save me about an inch. I dont think i've seen them before so thanks for letting me know about them And no Toaster, its not for computer competancy class . its my senior design project and everyone in Washington state is required to make a project for themselves in order to graduate. Yeah i know it's a stupid rule. Tomorow im gonna start diggin through the dash in my camry and i might be able to post some pics (sorry i didnt do it already, the weather's been kind of messy). so peace untill then

by the way Dennis the case is not behind the screen, but below it. the screen and the case are supposed to be DIN sized its just that the case is too long. I think if anyone is thinking about getting a travla c134 case for in-dash use, make sure you measure the depth of the DIN pocket. You'll need about 11 inches to fit the damn thing in there.

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by viktorcarpc View Post
                        I think if anyone is thinking about getting a travla c134 case for in-dash use, make sure you measure the depth of the DIN pocket. You'll need about 11 inches to fit the damn thing in there.

Already in like 100 places including the product descriprion in the store, install pdf, and a bunch of threads.

And I think what he meant was instead of making it slide in the 1din unit, hide it in the dash in some weird way. IT should fit that way.

Comment

time for some case modifications...

Does it have to be in the ampie case?

Comment

I'm trying to slide it in the dash just like i would for any other head unit. Im not trying to put it somewhere in a wierd way.
                            By they way, good job on the case so far guizai. So I measured how much space i have in the camry and it turned out that it's about the same as in my mazda. so it will be sticking out anyway. Im puting it in on friday so i'll probably post pics then.

peace
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X