Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7" 97 eclipse gst install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 7" 97 eclipse gst install

    hi all, i finally decided to start building after i got my opus 250, got the bezel done, and now i'm finalizing the case design.
    here is the monitor bezel being made:
    monitor in one piece:


    this car was made to have a monitor put in it:


    cut the monitor bezel:


    cut it a bit too much, oh well:


    layer 1 of bondo:


    after a bunch of sanding, it was time for layer 2:


    a bunch more sanding, and then layer 3:

  • #2
    finally ready for some primer:


    i really started to notice imperfections now:


    after spraying the primer, i started forgetting to take pics, but the process was spray, let dry, wetsand, spray more, wetsand more and so on.

    finally sprayed some paint :


    i used a rustoleum textured paint:


    very happy with the ending:



    and installed and running lsx void:


    system specs are :
    HARDWARE:
    unknown mobo
    via c3 nehemiah 1ghz cpu
    256mb ddr
    dynex el cheapo 5.1 sound card (after frying 2 SB audigy SE's )
    eonon 7" vga touchscreen (very nice )
    western digital 80gb 3.5" hd
    western digital 160gb usb external 3.5" drive
    and to power it all, and opus 250w dc-dc

    SOFTWARE:
    nlited xp pro sp2
    RoadRunner
    iguidance 3.0.1


    i will get pics of the case as i build it, but time is hard to come by as i work about 65-70 hours per week.
    looking forward to hearing any comments

    david

    Comment


    • #3
      looks good! does the glare bother you at all?

      Comment


      • #4
        yea, the glare is pretty nasty, but im planning on tinting my windows with probably 5% tint, so the glare issue will be gone (i hope)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by davidp View Post
          yea, the glare is pretty nasty, but im planning on tinting my windows with probably 5% tint, so the glare issue will be gone (i hope)
          dont count on it unless youre doin the windsheild as well
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
            dont count on it unless youre doin the windsheild as well
            lol, i don't think ill be tinting the windshield, if i do it will be with the lightest tint i can find, 5% tint would be nearly impossible to see through at night

            on the note of the case, the place i was originally going to mount it (just to the right of the gas pedal, in front of the center console) is going to be too small, does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to mount it so it cant be seen, id rather not have it in the trunk, and my amps are under the seats, any ideas?
            thanks,
            david

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Charles1 View Post
              nice I am working on mine as well but I am going to retrofit the $130 wrx double din kit on there. See how it turns out
              cool, the only issue i have with mine is that the shifter is kinda tall, and gets in the way. after i get the car paid off, that will be fixed by dropping in a 5 speed tho.

              one tip, try to get the screen angled to face you better than mine does, i wish i did, then the glare wouldn't be as bad.

              Comment


              • #10
                Hey looks like a nice set up so far. I have a talon with a carputer.. I went with a different screen so I had a much easier install.. But yours looks much better I think... But then mine is deeper so I have less glare
                I think a "strip" of tint at the top of the window would help a little with the glare, as our dash is sort of angled.

                edit: Also the 5spd Shifter is still in the way a little. I find it blocks the right side of the screen a little( bottom right mostly) But nothing really annoying. Oh and a short shifter will do nothing. The short throw shifters available for the 95-99 Talon/Eclipse only lower the height half an inch or so. You would need to cut out a bit from the short shifter then re weld it.

                Comment


                • #11
                  Originally posted by VPrime View Post
                  Hey looks like a nice set up so far. I have a talon with a carputer.. I went with a different screen so I had a much easier install.. But yours looks much better I think... But then mine is deeper so I have less glare
                  I think a "strip" of tint at the top of the window would help a little with the glare, as our dash is sort of angled.

                  edit: Also the 5spd Shifter is still in the way a little. I find it blocks the right side of the screen a little( bottom right mostly) But nothing really annoying. Oh and a short shifter will do nothing. The short throw shifters available for the 95-99 Talon/Eclipse only lower the height half an inch or so. You would need to cut out a bit from the short shifter then re weld it.
                  the tint stip would probably help a bit, i hadn't even thought of that, thanks a lot
                  good to know about the shifters not being much shorter, but cutting and welding isn't a problem at all.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    Hey, just a question, I have the same screen and wanted to know what did you use to cut off the buttons part from the monitor piece? I think I'm going to reroute my buttons else where.

                    Thanks, Kadaj

                    PS, very clean install, I like it very much.

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by xKadajx View Post
                      Hey, just a question, I have the same screen and wanted to know what did you use to cut off the buttons part from the monitor piece? I think I'm going to reroute my buttons else where.

                      Thanks, Kadaj

                      PS, very clean install, I like it very much.
                      i used a dremel to cut the bezel, but the actual buttons are mounted on a board that just screws onto the bezel. i just unscrewed the board and it is hanging behind the dash, i planned on unplugging it, but never ended up doing it.

                      thanks for all the comments
                      david

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        looking good, keeping an eye on this forum because I am getting ready to start a build myself on a 1997 Eclipse GST
                        [1997 Chevrolet Suburban]
                        PLANNING.[====================] 15%]
                        CAR PC......[====================] 0%]
                        INSTALL....[====================] 0%]
                        INTERIOR..[====================] 0%]
                        BUDGET.....[====================] 5%]

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          So you only used Bondo to hold the screen in place? I havent fabbed mine fully yet, but I know that's a no-no. Aren't you worried about cracking?
                          2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                          Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                          Blog

                          Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                          The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X