Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel controls and buttons

Hi all!

I fabricated some shoulder buttons from a logitech gamepad into the back of my steering wheel. I was wondering if anyone need anything like this before.

I soldered wires on to the buttons and need to take them from the back of the steering wheel, through the steering column and into the trunk.

My only problem now is that i need a way to do this so that the cords don't tangle as i rotate the wheel. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of cord detangler or something like that. Has anyone ever had experience with this sort of fabrication and integration problem before?

Thanks!

your steering wheel only turns something like 1.5 turns each way, give the cable some room and you'd probably be fine...

2006 Mazda 3
    Behringer DCX-2496
    JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
    JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Inside your steering wheel housing, there should be a connector on the wheel side and a connector on the dash side (which doesn't move). This is where they connect the wires for airbag, cruise control, horn, etc. If they offer a model of your car with steering wheel controls then there are probably a few unconnected pins in the connectors that you can use, just probe them with a multimeter first.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcanngo View Post
        Hi all!

I fabricated some shoulder buttons from a logitech gamepad into the back of my steering wheel. I was wondering if anyone need anything like this before.

I soldered wires on to the buttons and need to take them from the back of the steering wheel, through the steering column and into the trunk.

My only problem now is that i need a way to do this so that the cords don't tangle as i rotate the wheel. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of cord detangler or something like that. Has anyone ever had experience with this sort of fabrication and integration problem before?

Thanks!
        I did mine wireless. here take a look http://forum.audiopce.com/viewtopic.php?t=210

Comment

i took a look at yours.

how often do you have to replace the battery doing this way?

Comment

There used to be a contraption on the market here in Russia that somehow used the horn wire to transmit signals from the buttons mounted on the wheel to the control box which converted the signals into infrared commands suitable for any head unit. I don't know how exactly they use the horn wire to transmit signals - resistor ladder or some low-voltage pulses or god know what else.

I've got one installed in my old Galloper many years ago. It works somewhat flakey - wouldn't work on a cold car then start working after some time.

When I tried to find these guys recently for some reason, I couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcanngo View Post
              i took a look at yours.

how often do you have to replace the battery doing this way?
              3 to 4 months

Comment

if you're able to find 2 unused pins, you could use a kit from velleman, which sends up to 10 digital inputs over 2 wires.
                here's how it works: you connect up to 10 buttons in your steering wheel to part 1 of the kit (very small). from there you go with 2 wires to your dashboard, and there you have part 2 of the kit decoding this signal back to 10 seperate signals...

here's the link
                http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/pr...iew/?id=350619

Greetz

Dj NRG

Comment

Working...
                X