Paint questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint questions

This isn't really about an interior project, but I figured you guys could help. I'm painting my rims time attack style (black center, red lip) and I was going to do this with spray cans. The red lip is glossy and the black center is more satin like but not completely flat black. This is where my problem comes. I need a clear coat to protect the paint obviously, but if I put a clear on the center it wont be a satin finish. What can I do to get this finish for the center, while still having a deal of protection:

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/7028/light7il.jpg

Maybe a semi-gloss engine enamel for the center?

you can get satin clear in a can... for the life of me though i don't know why you would want to rattle can your wheels. I mean, the paint scheme you've got is cool, but real automotive paints are SO much better than anything you can buy in a can... not just in terms of durability but also the quality of gloss and the quality of finish you'll have.
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You can buy Dupont clearcoat in a can.

Comment

a high quality & durable 2k or 3k clear will use an activator that can't be pre-mixed rattle can style, a good urethane clearcoat is almost like an epoxy in this regard compared to a regular non activated solvent reduced product...

durable will usually not be spray cans...
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I was just giving him an option instaed of buying a duplicolor clear or some kind of crap like that. Yeah regular automotive clear is better but by the time you figure up cost on buying a spray gun, compressor, paint thinner, cups, stir sticks, you will be better off just buying a spray can of the dupont.

Comment

hey man,I wasn't picking on you, just adding to everyones input really, all 3 replies involved spraycans in one way or another
              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

i think we all assumed he wasn't going to buy himself a body shop to do this ;-)
                Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
                  i think we all assumed he wasn't going to buy himself a body shop to do this ;-)
                  I did Not to paint wheels but to paint a dash, console, and woofer box.

Comment

Working...
                  X