12" police screen install (pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" police screen install (pics)

Okay I started in on this project recently. This is the installation of my massive 12" police car screen into my small car. I got a spare console and chopped it all apart to make room.

I know this screen is huge for this application but I dont care Im doing it anyway. I can always change back if I decide I dont like it by simply screwing the orginal covers back on.

I choose a very low location for the screen since this allows me to make the least amount of changes to my dash. I will be able to leave my radio and my a/c controls alone.

Can anyone guess what kind of car this is?

To build the frame I glued the screen into place and then used expanding foam to build a mold for the structural part which is made of fiberglass. I tried using bumper repair epoxy but it is not strong enough alone. I am using the epoxy to create a smooth outer surface over the fiberglass frame. Still alot of work to go...

Dont worry the frame is not crooked like the pics make it appear to be. You can see my wifes cat taking a look in the last one, I didn't even notice her when I took the picture.

Yes my passenger has lost and inch or two of leg room but it really isnt that intrusive. I thought about contouring the corner that sticks out into the console more but I have not made up my mind about that yet.
    Attached Files

I'd leave the corner like it is, you could perhaps put something there IR sensor for keyboard, USB ports, lighter plug, etc.

Comment

Yes that is a good idea. Since no one wants to take a guess at it this is the console from my Honda CRX. I had to completely eliminate the section that went over the shifter and build a new one. More pics coming soon.

Comment

Nice work, how much was the 12" screen??
        Yay for Carputers
        Work log

Comment

Screen came with complete police computer unit $140 incl shipping. Computer unit is pretty slow but I am upgrading it soon. Actually these pics are not what it looks like now. After installing it for a test fit I decided I did not like the angle so I started all over and canted the screen more upwards. I am actually doing a better job the second time since this was my first fabrication of this kind. Learned a few things, like use more resin and rougher sandpaper.

Comment

does the computer unit come with the wireless connection to the police database. That would be a good carputer.

neway nice project so far, nice sized screen.
            Continued Worklog... Upgrades in progress:
            *15.4" WXGA LED backlight touchscreen upgrade
            *Custom fiberglass dash bezel

Comment

Onn an intresting note one of the units had the hard drive intact with all the police files on there which is a major breach of security and privacy laws that is unbelievable. The utility for connecting to their network was indeed still on there but since I am not a fool I did not attempt to use it. I formatted everything like they should have.

Comment

ur a newb for not trying...
                2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

That's really sweet!

Comment

Thats fine mbkowns call me whatever you like, but I still say it would foolish to try it.

Comment

hahaha okay rookie...

2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

Awesome project!! I used to have a CRX and I really miss it. Great car. Putting a carputer in one will be sweet!! BTW, how did you run across the used police equipment? Don't forget to post some more pics soon!!!

Comment

Okay I am almost finished with the bezel now. I stuck the screen in it and powered it up to get an idea of what it will look like. I took one with the screen on max brightness and you can see that the camera doesn't like it. Sorry for the low quality the battery in my Cannon is dead so I have to use the cheap digital. How about that brightness huh? Also added two that show the controller board for the screen and the power supply for all those ccfl's. The way the screen is built makes it much safer to handle while disassembled than the fragile lilliputs because the screen is actually sandwiched between the front cover and the aluminum box on the back that houses the back light.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hindmost View Post
                            Thats fine mbkowns call me whatever you like, but I still say it would foolish to try it.

Yea, nothing like hearing a bunch of guys start yelling "Police, Search Warrant!!" right before the front door comes crashing in.
                            Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Here is the victim of this surgery.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X