Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a Hidden Flush Mount Screen...Help

Hello All,

Lets start by saying that i am new to the site and after two weeks of research i have figured out almost every aspect of my carputer install. What i want to run, how to power it and ideas about everything. Thanks to all who have contributed to my education.

I would like to run a 7 inch touch screen that is flush mounted into the dash. However i would like to be able to hide it when im not using it. Are there any write ups that explain how to fab a retractable door like on some fancy cars? Or are there screens that are removable or could be made removable? I am not afraid to fabricate just need some direction. I also do not want a motorized screen. Thanks for the help.

John

What's your car and do you have a picture of where you'll install it?
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

I have a 2000 mazda protege. It was broken into a month ago and they turned my single din in to a double by ripping out my gear box. Below are some pictures, sorry for the glare. But you will get the idea.

Comment

They didn't rip out your gearbox did they dude..

Comment

No they didnt rip the gear box out, it all runs fine, i just want to be able to hide anything i may want to put back in it. Any ideas?

Comment

By gear box i meant the box that holds gear such as cd's or chap stick, you know stuff like that. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Just from looking at the pictures you don't seem to have much depth there, so a lift up hinge and a slide towards the front of the car is out. It also looks like you don't have any room side to side, so a slider either direction is out.

I think your only option may have to be something flexible like a roller shade. They make them for small kids in the back seat to shield them from the sun and some of them work like window shades.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

do you have the original double din radio laying around.. You can remove it's faceplate and create a cover that you place over the touchscreen when not in use.. so it will look as if you have a stock system.

Comment

As he stated earlier, his original radio is single din.

But actually, I've been thinking about the same question, so I might just use your idea for myself. I'm looking for a junked out stock radio to gut and possibly use as my PC enclosure also. Maybe I'll try to keep the face intact and use it as a cover. I wonder how it would work, trying to keep the "fake" face fairly flush with the dash?

Has anyone done this?
                  ---------------------------
                  Dan from Minneapolis
                  1999 Volvo V70R
                  Jetway J7F2WE2G, USB Creative Soundblaster, RoadRunner, Holux BT GPS, 3M Capacitive Lilliput, etc.

Comment

^
                    he has a double din now.. lol, sorry. I swear I thought protege's came with double dins.. maybe it's an optional feature. If so, he can probably find one for cheap on ebay.

Comment

See i was thinking about a roller shade but where can i find one small enough to fit in a car? I was thinking like a bamboo placemat that can roll up, and paint it to match. This would work if i were to mount the screen in the dash about an inch. This way it would be recessed and the screen could cover it.

As far as depth goes it is deep enough for radios and cords but not much else.

Comment

here
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

The whole screen idea is nice but i would like to find a more sturdy roll up screen. Im thinkin like the doors at a storage unit. The steel roll up doors but much smaller. Anyone know about them?

Comment

Well, an update. I am taking the idea of using the stock hu "faceplate" as a decoy. I bought a stock cassete deck radio for my car on eBay for $20 shipped. I removed the face from the casing, ground it down in the back to just a few mm in depth, will glue all the buttons and lcd back on to it to make it look original and find some way to mount it over the pc touchscreen, which I will have to recess a few mm.
                            ---------------------------
                            Dan from Minneapolis
                            1999 Volvo V70R
                            Jetway J7F2WE2G, USB Creative Soundblaster, RoadRunner, Holux BT GPS, 3M Capacitive Lilliput, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandtj View Post
                              The whole screen idea is nice but i would like to find a more sturdy roll up screen. Im thinkin like the doors at a storage unit. The steel roll up doors but much smaller. Anyone know about them?
                              The item you're looking for is called a tambour door.
                              "It's a blessing . . . and a curse."

Comment

Working...
                              X