Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 Suburban Double DIN

Hello
    I have an 02 Chevy Suburban. I would like to install a double DIN Nav unit in my dash since the shifting lever would hit one with a fold-out screen. The radio and A/C controls sit it this box that hold them. I am looking for a new box that would allow me to install the new double din unit. The current box is only a 1.5 DIN space. Does anyone have any sujestions about how to do this beside remolding the dash? Any ideas would be great. Thanks

If you only have 1.5din, then you only have 1.5din. Without remolding, you need to look for single din or 1.5din units. You can of course remold, but you said you didnt want to.

They make flipout screens if you want to go that route...
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
      If you only have 1.5din, then you only have 1.5din. Without remolding, you need to look for single din or 1.5din units. You can of course remold, but you said you didnt want to.

They make flip out screens if you want to go that route...
      Once again, unfortunately the flip-out screens would get broken by the shifter lever. This is why I am looking for a new molding box. I have seen people recess a full 15 inch screen in the dash. It will accept a double din with the right molding.

Comment

its actually really easy to get a double din into the chevy truck dashes.and the box is big enough for a double din. if you remove the plastic strip between the factory radio hole and the climate control hole in the bezel (i use a heat gun and wrap the piece around to the back because that will keep the finish at the edge, then grind the backside smooth)it is very close to a double din hole. if its not quite big enough there is about 1/4 inch of plastic at the top of the bezel that can be filed for clearance. then i use a piece of abs plastic to fill the gaps on the side because the gm radio is slightly wider than the aftermarket should be.then for mounting i remove the "box" inside the dash that holds the radio and climate control switches. and mount the head unit to the box with backstrap.
        the picture is of an 02 corvette zo6 but the insides are the same.. i have pics of me in the process in an 02 suburban somewhere. if i find them i will post them for you

Comment

Originally posted by 95rodeo View Post
          i have pics of me in the process in an 02 suburban somewhere. if i find them i will post them for you.
          If you find them I would also like to see them.

thanks

Comment

i think the only place i had them was on the laptop i gave away last month but the process is really as easy as the....crappy...write up. oh and boo where in cali are you? if your in nor cal i could help if you need it. then i guess i could get anothe set of pics

Comment

If you want to get a flip out screen you can bend your shifter out of the way. That's what I did in my 2000 Suburban.

Comment

You can install a dash bezel from a 03+ interior. Those trucks/SUV's came with a double din openning. If you have the slide out ashtray, then you will no longer be able to slide it out since the new bezel has a lip on the bottom. You also won't be able to open the little flap that covers the cigarrette lighters without some modification.

Comment

good point...i never thought of that

Comment

i converted my 2001 suburban dash to a 2004 dash by going to my local salvage yard and buying a 2004 tahoe bezel and radio carrier. i had to cut the carrier a bit for it to fit my dash but the screws align perfectly. whenever i figure out how to post pictures on this message board ill post them. It looks normal and I barely cut anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X