Brake fluid vs. sanding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake fluid vs. sanding

I read that brake fluid is a pretty effective paint remover. No, I haven't tried that yet - lol - but I was wondering if it is better than sanding that tends to also remove layers of the painted plastic ? Has anyone adopted that method of paint removal while working on their fabrication ?

media blasting.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyWare View Post
      I read that brake fluid is a pretty effective paint remover. No, I haven't tried that yet - lol - but I was wondering if it is better than sanding that tends to also remove layers of the painted plastic ? Has anyone adopted that method of paint removal while working on their fabrication ?
      It will eat plastic as well. Do not try it on plastic. On metal it does eventually remove paint but it is not a recommended practice.
      The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

My main concern is that it is not the most environmentally friendly way of doing things (actually its pretty bad!) ... but a friend suggested to dip my bezel in it for a few hours instead of sanding it to re-do it and I was doing some reading about brake fluids. I had no idea how toxic that stuff is.

Comment

Be carefull with paint remover. It will eat alot of plastics and even worse, burns like a son-of-a if you let it sit on your skin too long.
          Car Pc progress meter:
          [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
          My worklog

Comment

Brake fluid does the same thing too. It is not very friendly towards plastic. Also if you don't get all the of brake fluid residue off, the paint won't stick.
            Even though it takes longer, sanding is the safest and best way to remove paint from plastic.
            Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Why not just scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad and paint it whatever color you want it to be with Krylon Fusion paint?

Just a thought.

Comment

the only safe way to remove paint from plastics with chemicals is to use a "bumper stripper", aresol can available at body shop supply stores, safe on most plastics, but in being so, also not very agressive in the paint stripping area, but does the job.

still, I'd say sanding is the way to go here, if the finish has good adhesion & is compatable with the new top coat no reason to even remove it all 100% either...
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by moogvo View Post
                  Why not just scuff it up with a scotchbrite pad and paint it whatever color you want it to be with Krylon Fusion paint?

Just a thought.
                  Sanding did the job fine. I'll check out the "Krylon Fusion paint" in the next custom screen iteration (someone who saw mine wants his ACcord done too $$$ lol), but in the meantime I used Tremcald Textured Paint and it looks pretty good. Also looking for vinyl finishing products. That is way out of my leauge so I am also looking for a vinyl pro who knows what he is doing. Yes, I guess the brake fluid is an over kill if you think about the more practical alternatives. Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X