Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time, Enclosure/console 1989 chevy silv.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time, Enclosure/console 1989 chevy silv.

Hey this is my first time messing with fiberglass and so after doing some research i decided to dive right in. This is what i have so far. It came out very rough and i am wonder if i will need so sand it smooth before applying a layer of fiberglass cloth. And how exactly is the fiberglass cloth applied, do i just lay it over the enclosure and apply the resin to it? Thanks, any tips or critiques are welcome!

Just to give you an idea of the finished product. I'm going to use 3inch pipe to make cup holders for the front of the console

Added some fiberglass cloth to the box. Seems pretty sturdy now, i plan on starting the front of the box when i get my cup holders in the mail.

Comment

how many layers of cloth did you use? would you say that it is sturdy enough to stand on? if not, add a few more layers. The sub will create a lot of pressure, and if it's not sturdy enough the glass will crack or the sub will sound really not that great. It's looking good though, keep up the good work!
      I'm interested to see what you do with the pipe to make the cupholders.
      2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
      Car PC Progress:
      Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
      Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
      Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
      RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
      View my
      Worklog
      Road Runner Skins
      Website
      Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Thanks, I just went out and i was able to stand on it, I'm going to add a few layers to the inside though just in case. As for the pipe i gave up on that idea and ordered two of these guys.

Comment

where can these be found?
          Car PC Progress:
          View my
          Worklog
          Road Runner Skins
          Website
          Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

You can get them here http://www.boatersworld.com/product/336970041msk.htm

I got a good amount done today on the front half of the console.

And here it is inside the truck

And here's a picture of the truck

Comment

That is looking very nice. What kind of finish are you going to be giving it? What sub are you planning to install and what is the box volume?

Comment

I plan on carpeting it and I'm puting a 10" alpine type R in it.

Comment

Well i have some good news and i have some bad news. I'm finally done!! w0o0o. The bad news is it doesn't sound as good as my wooded enclosure. I am going to try tinkering with it tomorrow and i hope i can fix the problem,

Ooops

Comment

Few more pics of the interior.

Comment

looks good, did you double check the volume to make sure it's right? and how thick would you say the FG ended up being? You may be able to add some layers to make it thicker (maybe on the inside?) to get it just that much stiffer. I'd say it's the volume most likely. To test, fill a box that has the right dimensions with packing peanuts (or something like that) and then pour it into the box, if it overflows, it's too small, if it fills to the top, then it's too small unless you invert your sub, if it's got a lot of space, it's too big. A lot of people fill it with polyfil to "trick" the sub into a larger volume.

Also, how do you like the cupholders? I just ordered a pair myself, and want to make sure they will hold a fast food 32 oz (large) cup, and a 21 oz (regular) cup well...

I would have probably done it in red carpet, something that matches the rest of the interior.

Otherwise, it looks great!
                      Car PC Progress:
                      View my
                      Worklog
                      Road Runner Skins
                      Website
                      Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Thanks guys, i just drove around and it doesn't sound that bad, i think i had the gain to far up. It seems fine now, i did 3 to 4 layers of fiberglass cloth and its pretty sturdy. I made it as close as i could to my old box so im sure the inside dimensions are fine. As for the cup holders i love them! I've never had cup holders in my truck before so its nice to have a place to put stuff. As for the black carpet the trucks in the middle of a serious overhaul and ill be painting a lot of the interior black. I just got these seats for my truck too so i think it'll blend in nicely.

Comment

I'd suggest a little more fg on it if you only did 3-4, there's going to be a lot of pressure on it, and you don't wanna do this over I'm going to guess

2006 Mazda 3
                          Behringer DCX-2496
                          JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                          JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Working...
                          X