X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WORKLOG: Motorized Screen

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plLU0GdiaYw[/media]

got started over the weekend on motorizing a screen in the map pocket of my Mazda 6. i've decided to go with a linear actuator, which several other people have done as well. things are going well so far. i've modded the map pocket, gotten the screen attached, and tested the mechanism. all that's left to do is to get it installed in the car.

several pictures are attached, and a test video can be found here:

http://virtualskies.ulmb.com/carputer/index.htm

i started the installation last nite, but it got dark so i had to quit. i got as far as getting the actuator seated in the dash. that required a bit of cutting, but nothing too big. i was able to test everything in the car and it worked great. just need to make a few minor adjustments. didn't get a chance to take any pictures last nite and won't be able to work on this again til friday. but i'll be sure to update when the time comes.
    Attached Files
    Mazda 6 Carputer

elocine.net {NEW ALBUM AVAILABLE FOR FREE!!!}

that actuator is massive... clever design though.
    Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
    Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
    Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

I like it, where did you get the actuator and hardware from?

Comment

well, i finished things up. didn't have to do much except line things up and run the wiring.

i didn't really get any more pics, but i shot a couple more videos. check em out here:

http://virtualskies.ulmb.com/carputer/

overall, i'm pretty happy with the way things turned out. someday, i hope to have enough money to buy the entire motorized assembly from china. but this will do for now.

as far as the loudness, i gotta say that it is pretty loud. but i didn't really do anything to try and dampen the noise either. although, i can live with it. it only lasts for a couple seconds at a time. in someone else's how-to, he wrapped it up and sealed the opening with dynamat. i'm sure that helps a bunch.

also, if you notice, there's a delay as to when it opens with respect to the ignition signal. this is because i actually wired the ignition signal for the actuator to the power line to the monitor, which is powered by a carnetix PSU. the 12v rail on the PSU is on a 5 or 6 second time delay, so that's why it doesn't open up right away.

Originally posted by maxgtr2000
        I like it, where did you get the actuator and hardware from?
        i bought all the parts from Trossen Robotics...

4" linear actuator:
        http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/518...R-ACTUATOR.aspx

linear actuator controller:
        http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/518...CONTROLLER.aspx

mounting bracket:
        http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/518...NG-BRACKET.aspx

after a bit of searching, i found a 5% discount coupon code for trossen's store: mp308. all in all, i spent a total of $152.21 for everything and shipping.
        Mazda 6 Carputer

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
          that actuator is massive... clever design though.
          No kidding. Check out the specs (from the linked website):

12 VDC
          4" stroke
          110 lb. max load capacity
          550 lb. max static capacity

That's more than my biceps!

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

they had some pretty cool micro actuators on that site though. Probably could have used the high force variant to zip that thing open with barely a whisper. Eh. Everyone's a monday morning quarterback though. I still like it.
            Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
            Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
            Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Nice work..

You'll probably have better luck than the one the other 6 owners are ordering from china.
              Thats why i got the oem lcd box from jdm parts.
              2011 Nissan Frontier SL
              AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
              OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

You're a real one! Is it me or the screen isn't really bright enough for is position? Maybe its just the camera!!!

CRAZY INSTALL!! SICK!!!
                VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
                Final Install
                CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

Originally posted by GoHybrid View Post
                  they had some pretty cool micro actuators on that site though. Probably could have used the high force variant to zip that thing open with barely a whisper. Eh. Everyone's a monday morning quarterback though. I still like it.
                  i though about using one of those. i was in contact with a guy at Firgelli and he was really quick at answering my questions. i was interested in using the L12 mini actuator, which has yet to be released. i ultimately decided not to go with it since it only provides 5-lbs of force. i'm sure this is more than enough to do the job, but i was still a little skeptical. also, i was worried that the screen would shake while driving, considering its small size. but who knows? it may have worked, but i'm impatient and wanted it to work NOW.

Originally posted by Custommx3 View Post
                  Nice work..

You'll probably have better luck than the one the other 6 owners are ordering from china.
                  Thats why i got the oem lcd box from jdm parts.
                  i also looked at getting the LCD box from japanparts.com, but that was still a little out of my price range. and, of course, the screens coming from china are definitely out of my price range. but i hope those work out for the people who did decide to get those. they're pretty sharp looking units!

Originally posted by VmtSquad View Post
                  You're a real one! Is it me or the screen isn't really bright enough for is position? Maybe its just the camera!!!

CRAZY INSTALL!! SICK!!!
                  thanks, man! i assure you, the screen is plenty bright. i can see it fine during the day, even with sunglasses on (unless the sun is shining DIRECTLY on it). it just got washed out by the camera (it's not a video camera, just a digital still camera that can shoot small videos).
                  Mazda 6 Carputer

Comment

mounting actuator

Hi there, I am trying to follow your tut. but how did you manage to mount the actuator inside the car? The only way I can see doing that is more cutting inside the car where the vents/plastic are??
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-carputer.html

Comment

Nice job. On a side note, their Rovio Wifi bot is kickass.
                      Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Originally posted by bluem6 View Post
                        Hi there, I am trying to follow your tut. but how did you manage to mount the actuator inside the car? The only way I can see doing that is more cutting inside the car where the vents/plastic are??
                        unfortunately, that's what had to be done.
                        Mazda 6 Carputer

Comment

yo Skeurton, I'm really leaning towards the mazda 6 for my first car, heading off to college soon... and I've done a bunch of research... I'm already experienced w/ building computers, but this map pocket motorization is awesome, and yea i read the 4U2NV thread on it too, but i think i'm really going to need your help with this. I've been trying to visualize it but i cant do it w/o the car in front of me lol. So would you be able to answer some questions once I start working on it?

Comment

Working...
                          X