Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom made case

Just thought I'd share this with you...

I know someone who is a reseller for Dimension 3D printers and was kind enough to offer to print my carputer case for me from ABS plastic...

Here is the original solidworks design:

And here is the case:

Sadly the printers cost as much as a new car so I don't think there will be a group buy on printers anytime soon

Not only do the printers cost $20k-$40k for a small one, each run of that UV dust can run you $200.

You got one hell of a deal if you got it for free.

It looks good too.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Although is there a reason to not putting the HD and the PSU internally? With the ABS you could have just printed mounting points for a really ellaborate design easily.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

The motherboard is a 3.5" SBC, or the same size as a standard desktop hard drive. The board has a CF slot on the back where I have a 4GB CF hard drive (actual spinning drive, not flash memory) tucked in there. The power supply was going to be a bit big for the case too...

Some printers make the models out of dust and cure it, others use a wax type substance, but this is good ole ABS plastic, can be sanded, painted, etc... Not sure what the materials cost...

Comment

This is the underside of the motherboard. The bright orange strip you see is the back of the hard drive

Comment

Very nice.

I'm about to start a carputer project for a friend's truck and the case is actually now in question so I was wondering:

Is your guy willing to do any more? What might he charge?

thanks.

Comment

stereolithography? yah, talk about expensive stuff.

My college had one, and students could use it at a discounted rate, but that was still a pretty penny.

Sometimes it would be easier to just thermoform the same thing.
              2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
              Car PC Progress:
              Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
              Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
              Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
              RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
              View my
              Worklog
              Road Runner Skins
              Website
              Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Azaria View Post
                Very nice.

I'm about to start a carputer project for a friend's truck and the case is actually now in question so I was wondering:

Is your guy willing to do any more? What might he charge?

thanks.

I posted my design on another forum and he sent me a private message offering to do one up for me if I let him print one for his showroom (he sells the printers and likes to have new stuff to show off).

I had no idea who the guy was (other than both being members on a website) and he did ask me not to tell people who made it.

Sorry

Comment

Added pic to first post

Comment

Working...
                  X