Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert my 1.5DIN to 2DIN Stereo Opening In My 99 Tahoe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert my 1.5DIN to 2DIN Stereo Opening In My 99 Tahoe?

I'm totally new to this whole advance car audio thing but Iíve been interested in upgrading my 1999 Tahoeís stereo to possibly an in-dash DVD/Navigation system. Unfortunately I have run into a problem. Iíve now been told by several people that my only option is to install a motorized, hideaway screen model. I have seen these units in other vehicles and for one reason or anther donít like them. Now, I know they make complete dash kits to add accent wood, carbon or whatever other material you want to youíre dash. My question is, does anyone know if they make kits like this that create a bigger opening to install a double din stereo. This seems like it wouldnít be too hard for my vehicle. Thereís plenty of room there once you remove the factory CD unit that is separate from the factory head unit. You could then move the A/C control unit down and have plenty of room above for a double din aftermarket unit. Well it seems easy enough if you have every needed to make the molds. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

If there's not already a kit out there to put a DD in that slot chances are it's not possible without remaking the entire dash.

There are probably things back behind the dash that are keeping this from happening. Structural braces of some kind, etc.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

doing a double din in a 99 tahoe is cake. cut out the plastic bar(i actually heat it and wrap the plastic back before i grind it smooth on the back, that way the texture and color of the dash continues aroud the side) between the radio and the climate controls and guess what.....tall enough for a double din. just need to fill the gaps on the sides because the 1.5 is wider than a true dd, i use abs sheet.

Comment

its possible look around and you'll find a pic somewhere i'll try to load one of what theyre talking about.

Comment

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...obs-yukon.html

Comment

'99 tahoe single din to double din conversion (photos)

I just did the single to double din conversion on my '99 Tahoe. Its a breeze! First, I pulled everything out. Second, I made two simple, straight cuts on both sides in the plastic on the top side of the radio opening. This allows the plastic to flex just a little for a snug fit. Third, I slid the deck in, and made some mounting tabs out of backstrap. Fourth, I test fit and marked the bezel where it needed to be trimmed along the top and bottem of the radio opening, and cut it accordingly. Fifth, I filled in the open space on the sides with abs and fiberglass body filler, and smothed everything out. Sixth, I masked off, and sprayed that whole section of the bezel with canned truck bed liner to give it texture. Seventh, I color matched the section, and reinstalled everything. Anyone with any custom experience should be able to do this in a day.

Comment

There's an easier way without having to hack apart the bezel and gives a pretty nice finish. I did this very project in my 2001 Silverado.

Now, the big key is finding a radio bracket from a 2003 and up (till 2007 I think before they were changed) that is made for a double DIN radio. Problem is you can't go out and buy one because it's sold as part of the dash. You have to find someone with one or go to a junkyard and get one. I managed to do both and ended up with a spare (if anyone needs one). You have to punch out a rivet that holds the bracket in to get the frame out. The double din frame then drops into place and you have to rivet/secure it back into place...not hard to do. The AC controls have to be moved down just a tad, easy to do with some spacers I got at Home Depot. Finally, you go to the chevy dealer and order a bezel trim ring for a 2003 (they are very similar) and it pops into place.

Jay

Comment

We are not talking about an '01 creasegaurd. A '99 Tahoe is a c/k body style. Your talking about a totally different truck, and dash design. Thanks though.

Comment

'99 Tahoe is OBS (88-98), '01 Silvy is NBS (99-07).

But I've seen a few on here, and on FullSizeChevy.com. The most popular methods are like described above, or by dropping the HVAC controls down to where the OEM CD player is, which also involves cutting a bit on the brackets behind the bezel as well, and more bezel mods, but when done correctly looks better.
                  Play with it, 'til it's broke.

Comment

mounting/brackets

Originally posted by 95rodeo View Post
                    doing a double din in a 99 tahoe is cake. cut out the plastic bar(i actually heat it and wrap the plastic back before i grind it smooth on the back, that way the texture and color of the dash continues aroud the side) between the radio and the climate controls and guess what.....tall enough for a double din. just need to fill the gaps on the sides because the 1.5 is wider than a true dd, i use abs sheet.
                    What type of harness or bracket did you use to secure it in? I just got a used 98 Tahoe and want to put a 2 din in. It currently has a aftermarket 1 din in there, and I want to pull it out and put the big new one in. How did you secure it in there? Also, I'm sure a dumb question, but how do you take the bezel out? Where are the screws etc.??

Thank you SO much.

Comment

I just used simple backstrap ( usually a piece provided with a new radio ) bent it into an L shape, and screwed it in. the bezel just pops off, no screws.

Comment

Just work your way around the bezel pulling a little at a time. It also helps to put the steering wheel all the way down, to avoid ripping the emergency flasher switch off the column.
                        Play with it, 'til it's broke.

Comment

Originally posted by lindsaymaisel View Post
                          What type of harness or bracket did you use to secure it in? I just got a used 98 Tahoe and want to put a 2 din in. It currently has a aftermarket 1 din in there, and I want to pull it out and put the big new one in. How did you secure it in there? Also, I'm sure a dumb question, but how do you take the bezel out? Where are the screws etc.??

Thank you SO much.
                          As mentioned above, and something I overlooked, the 98 and 99 are likely very different from the 01 and up dashes so what I did will likely not apply to this type of install. During the early 0x's, they changed from 1.5 DIN to 2 DIN and when they did they only made very small changes in the dash and bezel. The double DIN bezels will fit on the 1.5 DIN dash with some minor issues but for the most part is a pop in replacement. The bezels just pop out, there are no screws holding them in.

Jay

Comment

i have an 01 Yukon XL I am looking to put in double din. If you have an extra cage i'll buy it off of you

Comment

Originally posted by yurboyb View Post
                              I just used simple backstrap ( usually a piece provided with a new radio ) bent it into an L shape, and screwed it in. the bezel just pops off, no screws.
                              Do you have any pictures of that? Where do I screw it into? So did you use no harness whatsoever? I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head as being secured?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X