Gluing vinyl to plastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing vinyl to plastic

I need to glue a small piece of vinyl (finished side against the glue) to a piece of plastic. This joint will need to hold a bit of tension. Anyone have experience with a good product?

Ive only heard good things about Gorrila glue, but cant attest to its strength. I suggest a few trial runs to find what works best for you and your application.
    Car Pc progress meter:
    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
    My worklog

Comment

Ok, cool, thanks! I'll check it out

Comment

the only concern i'd have about gorilla glue is that it needs moisture to cure properly. Sometimes there's enough in the air to do it, but i think you might have better luck using PL construction adhesive. It's thicker like peanut butter and might make it a little easier to work with. Cure time is about 24 hours though. I've had good luck with it.
        Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
        Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
        Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Contact cement is excellent, but I don't know specifically which kind. It's what is used to clue formica down to pressboard. It's also used to glue your sneakers together.

Comment

booksix: maybe you can post pictures of what you're trying to do. Something in my gut tells me there might be an easier way.

Comment

ok, thanks, I will when I get home from work...

Comment

Ok, here's the deal. I'm adding 6 buttons (factory cruise buttons modified from resistive to momentary) that interface with a Targus wireless keypad PCB and transmitter. The transmitter is held in a cavity which is covered by the original vinyl that was peeled back. To hold this flap in place, I want to glue the top edge of it to the ABS plastic cover seen in the pics below. The glue will hold a bit of tension, but not much.

Comment

So whatever happened here, gohybrid? I got the pics up for you and you disappeared! LOL

Comment

According to:
                    http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...l&that=Plastic
                    you can use:
                    3M 30 for flexible bond
                    hot glue for a rigid joint or
                    household goop (E6000 Glue)
                    I will not advise the Gorilla Glue, makes a real mess, cannot be controlled well and it is very hard to clean.

Comment

sorry about that - i have been rather preoccupied the last few days building a car for the pga show in a couple weeks.

so... as far as the easier way goes - i'd say that's a few steps in a wholly different direction from what you're doing. I wouldn't have any faith that the glue joint you're planning on making would last, between hot and cold, your fingers always stressing it, and the tiny surface area... I would consider making a piece out of abs to fit precisely into the hole you've made and just screw it down to call it good.

may I ask if you might reconsider the method by which you are planning to interface your steering wheel controls? for example, in my honda i have steering wheel controls that are essentially a voltage divider network. I am able to read those presses at the factory radio harness, rather than having to mangle the steering wheel. I imagine yours are similar.

what kind of pc are you working with? i think there is a windows program somewhere on here that reads the voltage signals through a joystick port - if you have one of those available. Fusion brain I think is another viable option. I also think it might be possible to adapt a simple voltmeter circuit to convert to discreet switch closures. Imagine an LED voltmeter, but instead of lighting up LEDs you're driving transistors.

I'll do some more thinking about it because I am trying to crack the same nut in a cheap way and let you know if i come up with anything.

*edit* - the key to that circuit i think is an LM3914 dot/bar display driver. It's available from digikey for about $3. you feed your analog signal from the steering wheel cluster into it and it i think the output can be adjusted so that you get only one pin high at a time. This will eliminate any space or wiring constraints you have in the steering wheel. Let me know what you think of that.

*edit again* - come to think of it, you only need 6 buttons, and there are 10 pins - you could locate a "key" on every other pin so there would be no overlap.

Comment

No sweat! Sounds like a cool project, good luck

Anyway, my 'bird only had cruise buttons... No audio buttons. So I had to mod a set of junk buttons to trigger the targus unit and added it all to the wheel...

Comment

well, what i'm saying is that they probably operated in the same fashion. so i pick up the buttons i want to use at the radio harness, yours might be on the ECU harness. functionally they should be identical though.

Comment

Just to clear up any confusion.. I'm still using my cruise control. I'd NEVER ditch that, so my only option (for a factory looking install) is adding a second set of cruise buttons and modifying them to work with a wireless transmitter (because i don't want to run anymore signals through the 3 slip rings in the column)... Does this make sense or am I still missing' your point?

Comment

oh okay. i gotcha. i thought you were using the wiring and controls that were already there. I'd be a little timid about trying to stack my own controls on top of a line already in use for something like that. I guess you could relocate your cruise controls - but why?

as for your vinyl flap issue, i don't know - i don't suppose you have anything to lose really by trying to glue it on first. if it's something you'll have to go back into periodically to change a battery, i'd still be inclined to just make a hard cover for that area out of fiberglass or ABS just so it's a clean piece in and out each time, and not be subject to tearing, considering you've already cut the vinyl.

the other thing i might consider is using contact cement. glue the edge of the vinyl to the ABS piece using contact cement, peel the flap back, and cement another larger piece of vinyl to the inside across the seam... a gusset. Something you'll never see but will enlarge the glue joint area to be less prone to separating when tension is applied. I'll paint a picture if that didn't make sense. I'm tired and wordy, what can i say?

Comment

Working...
                              X