lcd cover to stop theft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lcd cover to stop theft

Has anyone ever fabricated something to keep screen tucked away from view. My screen is where my radio used to be so it's not concealed at all, and my factory radio is in the low space below the HVAC controls ... what shall I do?
    "You know what I mean? But at the end of the day, it is what it is." - The most articulate thing someone could say.

THere has been a few people that dismantle there old radio and put the faceplate in front of the lcd to hide it. Look around at other threads about theft. I know they are in there.
    Car Pc progress meter:
    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
    My worklog

Comment

yeah, if you just cover it then it looks like something is covered, you'll probably be better of disguising it as a reg headunit...
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

check the link on my sig, i got lucky because the cover came with my car,all i did was automate it, the tcover is designed to work with the scion tc, but it can be reversed engineered to work for other applications
        Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Originally posted by titanicmusic14 View Post
          Has anyone ever fabricated something to keep screen tucked away from view. My screen is where my radio used to be so it's not concealed at all ... what shall I do?
          That is exactly what I did, here's what it looks like with and without. It fits a little better now after some modification. More pics and how I did it can be found in the link in my sig as well.

A tip would be to work it into your master plan BEFORE you start building (ease of removal, making it look like it belongs there, etc.).

Turbocad is right, if it looks like an afterthought, thieves will see right through it.

Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

I like that. Thats really cool but if you look at my dash I dont have much room..
            Attached Files
            "You know what I mean? But at the end of the day, it is what it is." - The most articulate thing someone could say.

Comment

Recess the screen, glue the old radio face onto a plate and pop it on and off when leaving the car. You've got boatloads of room there.............

Cheers
              For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
              Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Here's one that a buddy of mine from the forums did in his '06 WRX:

Search for user F1Vlad and his worklog for details.

CarPC v2.5 up and running - all hardware installed, skin configured, and iG tweaked like crazy. Now for OBD-II, and voice control, and camera plugin, and... :nutz: - it never ends!

Comment

That has got to be amazing .. thanks for the info... Now I just have to figure how to get a fake face and something to glue it on and make it stay in the space. Maybe I'll make something that I can weld it onto the meddle and then lock it with a pad lock, LOL.

Comment

I think his just sits there because the dash is slightly slanted back in the Subaru. I think if I were to do the same, I'd look into little magnets to hold it in.

CarPC v2.5 up and running - all hardware installed, skin configured, and iG tweaked like crazy. Now for OBD-II, and voice control, and camera plugin, and... :nutz: - it never ends!

Comment

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...363,42348&ap=1

These magnets are really good. I plan on gluing some to the backside of my bezel so I can attach a faux deck to the front of it when I park out of my garage. That is once I have a system installed

Comment

Change of Heart

I think I will keep my original head unit at the top. And on the plastic I will drill a mount there so that my screen can be there when I need it and when I dont I can unhook it and hide it. I will also be using 3m or knock-off privacy filter film so that you cant see it when I ride by.

Comment

i have no interest in trying, but magnets wont screw up an lcd like a tv screen?
                            Car Pc progress meter:
                            [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
                            My worklog

Comment

Magnets are safe. They won't damage an LCD. A CRT use EM to direct the electron stream so magnets affect it easily. Liquid crystal isn't metallic and just blocks light when electrically charged. Nothing magnetic about the operation.

Comment

Working...
                              X