Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechatroniks Bezel Extension Request

Hey All,

I am trying to get in touch with Patrick C. the designer of the best plug in Bezel/Chassis for the Subaru.

I've already bought this great Bezel and as I would like to utilise all the space I can get from the car's 3 DIN area, so i need the actual chassis dimensions slightly increased.

The increase is very minor to the length and depth of which I am happy to pay for this change. By having this increased, i will be able to fit the DSATX, HCQT, DVDRW, MB & Screen on the whole chassis.

I've tried to PM P.C. and email him via his website, but no luck.

Can anyone who may have his contact details, please ask him to drop me an email and see if he can help out with a special Subaru fabrication.

my email is

[email protected]

Cheers
    Kosti
    New Car PC Build list in progress

If deeper is what you want, consider doing it yourself: cut the chassis at the bottom and rivet in some aluminum angle you obtain locally. You could also extend the bottom and sides with aluminum and rivets. "Pop" rivets aren't pretty, but they're strong and functional . . . and the modifications won't show, hidden in the dash.

If you don't want to do it yourself, have you considered having one modified right in Sydney by a fabrication shop? A little 6061-T6 aluminum, some TIG or MIG (TGAW or MGAW) welding and you have what you want. It would be done exactly as you prefer, instead of communicating what you're trying to do by international mail or email.

If Patrick is hard to connect with even before it's started, how long do you think it will take to get the custom work done?

And consider the possibility he's not a fabricator, but instead orders them from a fabricator. That would mean paying for custom work anyway.
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

I custom fabricate chassis, have built around 25 of them now for members on this board. Check my carPC link.
      Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

I'm going to give it a go at getting this done locally, but as his product is solid and I do like it, I wanted to keep it the same and didn't really want to hack up the one I've got.

I hear ya when you say it will take a while going back and forth with emails and stuff, but wanted to get the message out along with some idea's

blk02si, the issue is the front bezel, its perfect for my car and this chassis, have you done any for subaru's?

Thanks for your feedback lads!

Cheers
        Kosti

Comment

Well getting it done locally wasn;t a bad idea, it turned out ok, but not as sxc as Mechatroniks!

This new base allows me to fit everything including mainboard, hqct, psu, hdd & screen

Comment

That looks really good. Glad the local fabrication worked for you. As for the sxcness, no problem. You got what you wanted, and you got it done well; it has the potential to be a terrific installation, and it doesn't get any sxcer than that.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

Yeah, ur 100% correct rdholtz!

It doesn't get any better than that. thanks for the kind words m8!

Today I dropped off the bezel's black pastic mounts that hold down the lcd to be re-done as these are not designed for the lilliput 629GL-70NP, these will be longer in size and different angles to allow mounting of the mainboard of the LCD controller.

I'll post up some pix of these when there done.

Maybe I'll start my progress thread and keep it all in one place

Cheers
              Kosti

Comment

Originally posted by Kosti View Post
                Yeah, ur 100% correct rdholtz!

It doesn't get any better than that. thanks for the kind words m8!

Today I dropped off the bezel's black pastic mounts that hold down the lcd to be re-done as these are not designed for the lilliput 629GL-70NP, these will be longer in size and different angles to allow mounting of the mainboard of the LCD controller.

I'll post up some pix of these when there done.

Maybe I'll start my progress thread and keep it all in one place

Cheers
                Kosti
                I was about to ask if you could have a spare set of those mounts made up for me, but then realized your overseas, so it might be cost-prohibitive for such a small item, unless possibly sent via regular postal system?

I need to do the same thing with my 629/Mechatroniks kit, and I am exploring options.

-Alan

Comment

Just got mine in and they are perfect, I'll post up some pix when i charge up the camera, also I'm gathering all my pix to start a work log so they'll all be in one place.

Were you at Firebird?

If I get enough interests, I could get them mass produced, but I think i would need at least 50 people to make it worth will.

The ones I got made up cost me $70 AUD so yeah it's expensive, but it's perfect, the right hieght, size, and shape, so i'm happy with the result!

Comment

Originally posted by Kosti View Post
                    Just got mine in and they are perfect, I'll post up some pix when i charge up the camera, also I'm gathering all my pix to start a work log so they'll all be in one place.

Were you at Firebird?

If I get enough interests, I could get them mass produced, but I think i would need at least 50 people to make it worth will.

The ones I got made up cost me $70 AUD so yeah it's expensive, but it's perfect, the right hieght, size, and shape, so i'm happy with the result!

I am definately looking forward to seeing the pics. It does not surprise me at all how much you paid for them. It seems like it doesn't matter what you do, if you make ONE of anything it costs an arm and a leg, but the more you have made, the less the cost per unit becomes.

I still might be interested in a set of your mounts, but I need to see some pics first, as the way you layed yours out may not quite work with what I had in mind in my setup. I am planning (I have no idea how to actually execute it though) on having a "slit" cut in the top bezel of the Metra Kit (not the Mechatroniks kit) since I have a Mustang. There is *just* enough room above the top of the Mechatroniks bezel and the Metra bezel for a slit so that a slimline slot-load cd/dvd drive can be incorporated into the system. The catch is though, the circuit board for the lcd needs to be low enough keep the space clear for the drive. I have designed a couple brackets on paper, and instead of going "around" the board to meet the holes in the board, my brackets meet the mounting holes of the circuit board via the sides of the board; I suspect yours going around and meet the mounting holes from the top and bottom of the board...

Anyway, I ordered a couple 12x12 sheets of ABS plastic that is the same thinkness as the origional brackets, and am going to *try* cutting my own brackets with hand/power tools, but am NOT VERY GOOD at that sort of thing at all. I'm great with a soldering iron and electronics, but HORRIBLE at fabricating anything. But if your brackets will work dimmensionally, I might be interested in having you have a set made up for me.

I would get it down locally, but my big question is where does someone get this stuff done? I have done some web/phone book searching, and although I have found a few machine/fabrication shops in my area, they all seem to specialize in LARGE item and/or industrial/large quantity fabrication. Although I haven't actually called anyone yet, I am pretty sure most people in my area won't be bothered with such a petty item. But no matter what, I really need to find a shop that can do some fab work. Although I have the Mechatroniks kit, I would like to have some "shelves" fabricated that I can insert in the middle of the Mechatroniks kit so I can have a complete bolt-in solution. I need to mount the hard drive, optical drive, usb hub, various usb devices including the HQCT, and my 4 channel kit amp that I bought from 41hz.com.

-Alan

PS I am in Memphis, TN, USA

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdTN View Post
                      . . . I would get it down locally, but my big question is where does someone get this stuff done? . . . I am in Memphis, TN, USA
                      In a city the size of Memphis, there are lots of options. You're looking for a shop that does fabrication work or a place that does repairs to equipment. These resources come to mind:
                      (1) Try contacting the shop teacher at a local high school (if they have a shop class) or trade school, and ask them about fabrication or repair shops in the area; they might even take on a custom job themselves.
                      (2) If you don't find what you're looking for in the directories, drive into the local industrial district and stop at a few "garage" shops; ask who does fabrication or repair work in the area.
                      (3) Ask your auto repair shop who they recommend.
                      (4) Visit independent autobody shops and ask who they recommend.
                      (5) Go to a university in your area, and find the guy in charge of maintenance; ask who they use.
                      (6) At a university, wander the campus, find the engineering department -- preferably mechanical engineering -- and talk to the professors; ask what contacts they might have who do fabrication or repair work.
                      (7) Ask among your friends -- maybe one of them has a relative or friend with a hobby workshop; if you're lucky, you can watch, or help, or learn to do it yourself.

If you already have a Mechatronix kit, take it with you. It'll be helpful in starting the discussion.

Before you go, though, your modifications to the Mechatronix design are pretty significant, so you'll need some good drawings of what you want. You can get free computer-aided design and drafting software at http://www.emachineshop.com. They'll do the fab work, too -- that's why they provide the software -- but you can just use the software and find your own supplier. You can also get software at http://www.frontpanelexpress.com.

Make sure your drawings are exactly what you what, because a good fabrication shop will give you exactly what you request; if what you ask for is wrong, you pay to fix your mistakes, too.

The good drawings can be very helpful if your project is so successful that others want it, too -- then you become the distributor.

Prices for this work vary over an amazingly wide range. You can shop around . . . and you may get some good advice along the way.

Oh, and quality varies widely, too. Look at examples of the work shops do, and see if it meets your standards.

Comment

Damn wish someone would post stuff like that for us in Syd, there just isn't enough fabricators around like in the states!

I'll post up pix maybe 2morrow as been working flat out and just didn't get round to it

Comment

Well here is the new bezel's black pastic mounts with the modification to take the 629 board for the lilliput LCD screen

and now with the PCB mounted

Comment

Looks Good! Thanks for the pics!

Although from the pics, those mounts definately won't work for me. My board looks COMPLETELY different that yours. Do you have the newer LED backlit 629, or the older CCFL backlit model?

My board is about 3/4" shorter, and about 1 1/2 inches narrower than yours, so I am not sure if there are, and how many different boards Lilliput has used in the 629...

-Alan

Comment

Well I bought my screen about 1 year ago and it was still wrapped in plastic until last week, so I guess I have an older version than u.

Post up some pix of the board as I do think mine is CCFL backlit

This is the LCD panel prior to me making up the new black mounts

Comment

Working...
                              X