Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Toyota Tacoma Monitor Issues

Hi.

I am nowhere near ready to put in a carputer, but I am interested in doing so in the future. I have a lot of experience with computers, a little bit with fabrication, and very little with cars.

I want to put a touchscreen monitor, I was thinking a Xenarc 700TSV - 2008 Model, in the front console. My problem is where on Earth do I put it. Here is a picture of a 2002 Tacoma dash that I found on the Internet, it's not mine, but it's the same model, and similar layout. I will post pics of mine later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacoma Dash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	2302170

The only difference is that my stereo is a single DIN unit, and the one pictured is a double DIN unit. Mine is: HVAC controls on top, stereo in the middle, and an empty slot below that. There's also an ashtray and cigarette lighter below that, but it's sorta detached from the three DINs, and I'd kinda' rather leave 'em be.

I've also found a bezel for my truck on ebay, so that if and when I'm ready I can do this without mangling the original.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacoma Bezel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	2302171

One problem is, the whole front console is basically parallel to the body when sitting in the truck, and the A/C vents don't allow me to put a monitor up very close to eye level. This will make it somewhat difficult to see the monitor while driving. I was thinking that I could move the HVAC controls down to the bottom DIN, just above the ashtray, and install the monitor in the newly vacted top DIN and middle DIN. This would get the monitor up a bit higher, but it's a lot of work to move all of that around. Does anyone have any better ideas about placement before I persuade myself that I need to move the HVAC stuff?

Another problem is that the three DIN's openings on the bezel are a bit trapezoidal. I'm not entirely sure that the HVAC controls would fit at the bottom without some serious modifications to that bezel. I'd check that out before I started, but as of now I have no idea. Any thoughts about that?

Basically, my idea was to put a Xenarc 700TSV - 2008 Model touchscreen monitor in the dash, along with a few USB ports, and possibly a DVD-ROM drive, maybe a BLU-RAY drive since it is going to become big time popular now that HD-DVD lost, at a later date. I was going to put the computer's guts behind the seat of my truck, probably in a custom case, but that isn't a big deal.

I think that I can handle most of the modifications that would have to be made, and the computer stuff is not a problem. I just need some help with placement.

Anyway, I'm fishing for ideas. Not many people trick out a 2002 Toyota Tacoma, so it's tough to find solutions to the problems that I've got. Any input would be appreciated.

I'll try to get more pics of the workspace tommorow, sorry for the lousy ones in this post.

I think that you answered all of your questions within your post. You can either go the easy way and place the screen in the perfect location that the stereo is going to leave once taken out, or you can do it the hard way and move the AC controls down and place the screen on top for better view.

Comment

nice to see another toyota truck guy here!

i chose to move my hvac controls to below the head unit where the cig lighter and ash tray go. ive yet to make a final bracket for them, working out how to do that.

heres what i did: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...elocation.html

and a final pic:

hope those help, if you have any questions at all, let me know, im very knowledgeable on 3rd gen 4runners and that carries over a bit to the tacomas. youre even local and i would be willing to help you out in person.

my personal advise: DONT MOVE YOUR HVAC controls!!!! its a gigantic pain. i ended up buying a new hvac unit to swap in. origionally i was designing a method to extend the cables, but that did not work as planned. even with the screen as high as i could get it, its still hard to see and very low. not to mention the glare is pretty bad. if you are dead set on moving them, i know how, its complicated and painful but i know how, also, you have less to work with dash wise, as im not sure where you could relocate them too.
      1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
      Pictures
      Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Your vehicle seanz0rz, looks pretty similar, and your install looks great. I looked again today, and putting the screen below the HVAC stuff just won't work for me. The gear shift will be in the way for using the touchscreen, and it will be too difficult to see. My choices, as I see them, are to either move the HVAC, or to not integrate the monitor into the dash, but instead put it on some sort of bracket. I'm not to thrilled about the last idea.

The good news is that my HVAC would be a little easier to move than yours was. I did a cursory check today, and mine the standard vacuum tube system, but the vents are controlled by servos, not manually. That means that I'd have to extend electrical wires, which is easy, and vacuum tubes, which isn't too bad from what I've read. No cables or metal arms to fight with in my case.

Where did you put the "brains" of the computer? I want to use regular, large parts like an ATX or Micro-ATX motherboard, so puttinfg a Voom-PC or similar case under the dash is kinda out of the question. I was going to put it behind the seat of my truck, but I'd have to build a custom case; I am thus looking for stories and/or pictures of custom built cases.

Comment

If I remember from the last meet, he has his comuter under the passenger seat, which would be a great location for a VoomPC case.

I'm local so SoCal if you're interested in me giving it a try at the fabrication.

Comment

actually those are not vacuum actuated, but push pull metal rods. nightmare to deal with believe me, but its doable.

computer has been relocated into a custom console between the seats. its been on hold, as with the rest of the computer stuff, for some time.

www.ultimateyota.com for all your taco needs, great site, wonderful community, though they wont be much help on stuff like this.
            1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
            Pictures
            Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

That console looks crazy, is it steel?

Comment

yep, 3/4" square 1/16" wall tubing. serving as an early prototype of soemthing i might produce in the future
                Pictures

Comment

I built a custom case from sheet metal, but a "project box" would do well, too. Information on all that is in my worklog -- click below on my signature.
                  If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

sprkyjtm, come to the socal meet, its in the meet up thread, its on the 8th of march in corona. we will be able to help you ALOT there. i can show you exactly how i rerouted my hvac controls, how much work it was, and whre i plan on putting them (since your dash is just slightly different)
                    Pictures

Comment

Ah... damn. I just wrote this big long reply and the stupid site lost it...

Anyway, I'll try again.

Thank you for the offers to help fabricate this, but I want to do most of the work myself so that I learn from it. I will, attempt to pick your brains on this site as I find problems though. Also seanz0rz, I'd love to come to the SoCal meet, but I work that day :~(.

Is your HVAC stuff controlled by sliders or knobs seanz0rz? Mine is controlled by knobs, and it's similar to this guys: http://http://www.mp3car.com/vbullet...-am-whord.html. Scoll down the first post, and you'll see what I mean.

When I went back and read my post explaining my system, I found that I was very unclear, so I'll try again.

What I was trying to say was that the doors in the dash that control where the air comes out (eg. Windshield, straight out of the dash, floor, etc...) are controlled by servos.

If I turn the ignition so that the electrical system is on but the engine is off and turn the vent control knob, I can hear a few servos whir in the background, and the doors click when they're done moving (a second or two after I've finshed turning the knob). This makes sense because in order to have a metal rod move several inches to open and/or close a few ducts when the control knob is only moved a little bit would require either a complex mechanical system or a motor (servo) that takes its cues from the knob. Right???

The fan is attached to an electric motor, so the fan speed knob just raises the resitance in the circuit since the motor's speed is determined by the current in a constant voltage system. Current = Voltage/Resistance... So, since voltage is relatively steady during normal operation, all you can do to affect the current is to change the resistance. So the knob in some way or another changes the resitance in a circuit. Should just be wires which are easy to move.

The A/C and recirc are just buttons, so it's another electrical circuit and the buttons are switches.

The temperature control is the toughee. From what I have read, I think that that is controlled by vacuum tube(s). I'm pretty sure that there's one or more vacuum tubes back there in my truck, I haven't taken the whole dash or console off, but I've kinda tried to poke around.

So, vents, fan, recirc, and A/C are electrically controlled which means extending wires; that's pretty easy to do. The temperature, I think, is controlled by vacuum tubes which is not too difficult to move.

Am I wrong? As I said, cars are not my forte. I am deducing all of this from my electrical experience and the information on a few websites. If I'm wrong, please tell me. I want to learn about this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by sprkyjtm View Post
                        Ah... damn. I just wrote this big long reply and the stupid site lost it...
                        No, it wasn't lost. Because you have a low post count (under five is the cutoff, I believe) and posted with links and/or photos, your post was flagged for moderation. It's a measure to help control spam.

I made the most recent post visible and deleted the prior one. If you want it the other way around, just let me, or any other mod/admin know.
                        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Oh...

Ok, the message that you made visible is just fine. The original took awhile to write, but the rewrite only took like five minutes and they are essentially the same so it's no big deal.

I just assumed that it was the site because I've had problems with other forums losing my stuff. They actually lost it, not something like this.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

huh, i was pretty sure all tacomas were cable actuated through 04, but maybe with the switch to the climate control in the 99+ limited runners and 01+ all models, they switched to a servo driven piece.

i can assure you nearly 100% that the temp control is not vacuum driven, but in fact a cable that goes through the firewall to a valve on the heater core, it also has an electric circuit connected to the same knob, not exactly sure what it does (all of this info comes from dissecting my unit when i was considering my options for movement. it will either be a black or opaque white sheeth that houses a stiff metal cable. the valve should be centered on the firewall, with a hose out either end and a small ring terminal on the end of a cable attached to a lever. i see no reason for toyota to re engineer this piece when the use of an electric servo would have worked fine, and the cable actuator was proven to work. ill have to do more research for you on that.

these levers only have about 2 inches of travel on them, amazing what you can do with a few inches of travel and a lever.

if you hear servos for everything but temperature control, i dont think moving them would be all that hard. wires are easy to extend. the cables might not be, but there are ways of working around it. i would be more than willing to offer my knowledge to you, and you can PM me here and drop by cal poly pomona sometime if you need help, want to poke around my setup, etc.
                            Pictures

Comment

Hmm. Alright... I probably got some bad advice from a website regarding the vacuum stuff. Though I can easily deal with the wires, and probably the cable if it has enough give.

I will continue poking around, and I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I figure stuff out. The holdup is that I need to save up enough money to buy all the equipment, and then I need the time to install it. At the earliest, that will be this summer. Thank you for your help; I'll probably need more and I'll pick your brain as needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X