No announcement yet.

Problems with the ABS sludge method...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the ABS sludge method...

Hello!

I have been reading on the ABS sludge method, and set my mind on trying it, and have been dissolving a lot of plastic in Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

The plastic i'm using is ABS/PC mix. It dissolves nicely, and i have a consistency more or like toothpaste, or a little more fluid.

I have been doing some tests of the "glue" on pieces of ABS, and despite the glue is free of bubbles when i pour it, there is bubbles in the final, dried product. I would like an bubble-free surface, and wetsand it by hand when i'm finished so i'm not forced to paint it.

Anyone have any idea of why it's bubbling in the surface ? i'm drying it at 25 deg. celsius.

Regards,

Per Jensen.

it is bubbling because as the MEK evaporates from under the surface, it will leave behind bubbles. i see no way in avoiding this except with very very thin layers. even then, this method is not best suited for final product finish, but more of a building block or foundation onto which you can apply paint.
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
    Pictures
    Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by seanz0rz View Post
      it is bubbling because as the MEK evaporates from under the surface, it will leave behind bubbles. i see no way in avoiding this except with very very thin layers. even then, this method is not best suited for final product finish, but more of a building block or foundation onto which you can apply paint.
      OK thanks!

I will use normal methods for preparation for painting then.

Regards,

// Per.

Comment

I just did some work with sludge and can suggest 1 thing.

Don't try to build with sludge! Use pieces of ABS for your construction and use sludge only to glue/reinforce them.

Comment

Working...
        X